Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Blues want ‘as many blockbusters as possible’ as more Magic Round, opening week details emerge

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...79153c2fba26ae

Carlton has declared its desire to feature in “as many blockbusters as possible” in 2023 – and that could start in game No. 1, with the Blues and Richmond poised to return to the season-opener slot.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan on Thursday hinted the 2023 fixture would likely be released in the first week of December.

The opening match of that fixture will likely see the Blues and Tigers go head-to-head, reports the Herald Sun.

The AFL this year scheduled a Grand Final rematch to open the 2022 season, with Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs clashing at the MCG on a Wednesday night, but it appears doubtful Geelong and Sydney would commence next season. Neither club is likely to be keen to play at the MCG or SCG on a Wednesday night, while the Cats will almost certainly prefer to save their two MCG home games per season for blockbuster opponents later in the season.

The Blues-Tigers Round 1 match has been a mainstay of the AFL fixture since 2007, with the two clubs meeting in the opening round In 15 of the past 16 seasons.

Carlton is keen to cash in on its 2022 rise and expected growth in 2023 from a fixture perspective.

The Blues played five Thursday or Friday night encounters in 2022, but club chief executive Brian Cook wants more.

“To be really frank we really want as many blockbusters as possible,” he told the Herald Sun. “We get good crowds, we had the highest average home crowds, that was coming off some pretty poor years, so we are after as many blockbusters as we possibly can get. That is really the key for us.

“We are like every other club, we get our five or six interstate games but even if we got an extra blockbuster we would be very happy with that. It’s in the interests of Carlton and the AFL for that to happen and also the broadcasters.”

In other Round 1 fixture whispers, Hawthorn has reportedly requested to play arch-rival Essendon to help celebrate its 1983 premiership reunion.

While the Blues loom as a big fixture winner, clubs tipped to struggle in 2023 are unlikely to be rewarded with many marquee timeslots for next year.

The league has already declared it has scrapped the rolling fixture strategy, with the first 15 rounds for 2023 to be announced in December before unveiling Rounds 16-22 midway through next season. The return of locking in the majority of the fixture early means the AFL will be less likely to schedule underperforming clubs in timeslots with high viewership.

Meanwhile, the possibility of a 2023 ‘Magic Round’ – where the 18 clubs would travel to one state to play all nine games – is gathering significant momentum.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said a call on whether a Magic Round will be held next year would have to be made “in the next week or so”.

“It’s something we have been looking at. It went to the Commission on Tuesday,” McLachlan told reporters on Thursday.

“I think there is good momentum, but we’ve got a few issues to solve for the Commission.”

South Australia remains keen to host the extravaganza, but Sydney would be well placed given both the SCG and Giants Stadium would be used, while Accor Stadium would be another possibility.

Should the event be ticked off by the AFL Commission next week, the round would be on top of the 22 games clubs already play, so it would likely replace one of the official pre-season rounds.

It’s understood clubs and players are generally supportive of the idea, with both parties set to receive a cash splurge. The Herald Sun reported clubs had been told they’d each receive a $500,000 windfall from Magic Round – with $200,000 of that money able to be spent on extra football department spending – while the AFL’s players would also be given $200,000 extra per club by the league.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blues want ‘as many blockbusters as possible’ as more Magic Round, opening week details emerge

Carlton can get stuffed
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blues want ‘as many blockbusters as possible’ as more Magic Round, opening week details emerge

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Carlton can get stuffed
    Unreal position given how well they performed last year. Their ability to fill a stadium shouldn't be in question and they have an exciting forward line. They may not deserve a lot of blockbusters but should get a few.

Post Thanks / Like

First it's blockbusters, and second will come "we feel like we should get more games at the MCG" and all of the sycophant media perverts will push that agenda and it will be sickening.

They didn't make the eight, and probably won't next year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    First it's blockbusters, and second will come "we feel like we should get more games at the MCG" and all of the sycophant media perverts will push that agenda and it will be sickening.

They didn't make the eight, and probably won't next year.
    I have a work colleague who is rock solid in his assessment that they can't be a force while they split so many of their home games between Marvel and MCG.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Unreal position given how well they performed last year. Their ability to fill a stadium shouldn't be in question and they have an exciting forward line. They may not deserve a lot of blockbusters but should get a few.
    They do need to strong some wins together before they move into the blockbuster contention. I agree they have a terrific forward line and they might very well be the team that pushes deeper into the top 8 next season.

8. Thanks Stevo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's at least 8 teams ahead of them who could mount the same argument and have proven results to argue their case.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care. I hate that club with a passion. They finished outside the 8 and don't deserve any blockbusters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I have a work colleague who is rock solid in his assessment that they can't be a force while they split so many of their home games between Marvel and MCG.
    Does he want to switch to the MCG or stay at Marvel?

irrespective of that, tell your mate they can't be a force because they're a shit club with shit supporters and a shit understanding of how modern footy works.*

*I'd probably follow them if the Doggies didn't exist due to a family connection.

13. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you're saying but I hate the assumption that a team will just go on with it because well........just because.

Two preliminary finalists from last year had terrible years this year with one actually still making the finals ahead of them, and I struggle to see which of the other seven finalists Carlton will overtake to gain a spot.

So if they make the finals then great, reward them. Blockbusters and prime time fixtures should find a balance between game exposure and quality footy, and just because Carlton choked their way to create the latter some how last year it doesn't mean they should get the gaslight the competition as easily as they gaslight their own fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    There's at least 8 teams ahead of them who could mount the same argument and have proven results to argue their case.
    It's coming though. The playing list looks strong, Brownlow medalist and great midfield, good back line and two key forwards that could easily kick big bags of goals.

Post Thanks / Like

They do need to strong some wins together before they move into the blockbuster contention. I agree they have a terrific forward line and they might very well be the team that pushes deeper into the top 8 next season.
    Passionate debate is one thing but I'm glad we are sidestepping the irrational ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he want to switch to the MCG or stay at Marvel?

irrespective of that, tell your mate they can't be a force because they're a shit club with shit supporters and a shit understanding of how modern footy works.*

*I'd probably follow them if the Doggies didn't exist due to a family connection.
    I haven't asked him but he's a MCG member but goes to both venues. I suspect he would much prefer the G.
    He just believes that all top clubs need a home court advantage and thinks it's just that much harder to split your home games between venues.

He understands that they club has been erratic so no problems there but he thinks they're on the right path now. Mind you he doesn't believe in the salary cap either. He's got a Twodogs type memory recall on obscure games and who did what in them and player numbers and games played from whatever team with their star players is exceptionally close.

18. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't asked him but he's a MCG member but goes to both venues. I suspect he would much prefer the G.
    He just believes that all top clubs need a home court advantage and thinks it's just that much harder to split your home games between venues.

He understands that they club has been erratic so no problems there but he thinks they're on the right path now. Mind you he doesn't believe in the salary cap either. He's got a Twodogs type memory recall on obscure games and who did what in them and player numbers and games played from whatever team with their star players is exceptionally close.
    You're a magnet for these types it seems.....

Post Thanks / Like

You're a magnet for these types it seems.....
    That thought has dawned on me.
    We have a North supporter Roscoe as a member who pops on here occasionally and his memory for detail about North players is right up there.

I'm a magnet.