Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  62
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Four-headed monster

I just love that we're trying something different to standard AFL orthodoxy.
    The Windies were mad for bringing in 4 quicks to their test team in the 70s, until it worked. I see parallels.

If it even remotely works some weeks, we've just killed the trade market for the next decade. Half-decent spuds will be getting $500k contracts on the back of a scarcity of KPFs... and IF 4 actually works (I still think 3 & an 'everything' player is ideal) where the hell will we get another KPF/swingman tall from?

[Jordan Croft coughs]

Oh, nevermind...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes Happy Days, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The plan for the past 5-6 years has been to kick bombs to the hot spot and hope Naughts sits on someone's head... we've added more talls now so I guess that gives us a better chance of marking it, doesn't it?
    They’ll all still fly for the one mark getting in each others way and the defence will most likely pick it up and run it away while 2-4 doggies fwds are laying on the ground.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    They’ll all still fly for the one mark getting in each others way and the defence will most likely pick it up and run it away while 2-4 doggies fwds are laying on the ground.
    Or it could be fun.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Looking at the practice match and intra clubs, they are not doing this. They are working well together.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes josie, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looking at the practice match and intra clubs, they are not doing this. They are working well together.
    Let’s hope that continues when the real stuff starts.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

All it'll really take is one good quarter where we hit targets and, ideally, hit each one of them and they slot one, and the talk will be off the charts.

There's no doubt that:
    a) It's a different approach to what we've done before.
    b) The quality (or at least, potential quality) of each tall is key. Just having 4 random tall dudes running around isn't going to do much.
    c) We need to judge this in a few ways:
    - Marks inside 50
    - Goals per inside 50
    - Goals from the monster
    - Opposition rebounds
    - Opposition goals from rebounds

It'll take a little while to learn if it's really working and I do hope we stick with it even if it gets off to a slow start.

10. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo is one crazy mofo.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone apart from Bevo thought this was going to work?

Post Thanks / Like

Might work against North, but Marra and Darcy are just boys.

14. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to cut a couple of heads off the monster.
    The curse is dead.

16. Likes JanLorMill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets see his appetite to stick with this although losing Jones might change his thought process.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see the four headed monster at Marvel. Perfect marking conditions. Less space to defend on the turnover.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem was we assumed the monster had four heads on long, sinewy necks that would let it run rings around its enemies, like some sort of mythical Hydra.

Instead it's one of those poor malformed baby cows with four heads but only one neck, so it's super unbalanced and easy to deal with.

20. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally the issue with too many tall forwards is if the ball hits the deck, it's gone the other way in the blink of an eye. Well we have that problem with no tall forwards, and yet somehow with 4 tall we still managed to have 3 of them nowhere near the drop of the ball and nowhere near the best intercepting defender in the comp and the resting ruckman who sticks out like a sore thumb. These guys were playing loose too....what the hell was going on up forward tonight?

22. Likes Boots, Scorlibo, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Normally the issue with too many tall forwards is if the ball hits the deck, it's gone the other way in the blink of an eye. Well we have that problem with no tall forwards, and yet somehow with 4 tall we still managed to have 3 of them nowhere near the drop of the ball and nowhere near the best intercepting defender in the comp and the resting ruckman who sticks out like a sore thumb. These guys were playing loose too....what the hell was going on up forward tonight?
    It's a really good point.

We looked as ineffective at stopping the intercept game tonight as we might have with only Naughton forward which says to me we had a problem in crowding zones and the footy - which is our go to when we play poorly and don't have our heads in the game.

I don't have an issue with player heights, but what I do have an issue with is where they stand. We need to sort that shit out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

24. Likes Boots liked this post