Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  65
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: You get to pick....

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't forget the game has changed because of rule alterations - and in my opinion not for the better.
    Le Gasp!

2. Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the game has changed because of rule alterations - and in my opinion not for the better.
    You've never mentioned that before.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes jeemak, SquirrelGrip, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You've never mentioned that before.
    Just a reminder incase you missed it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We would never have guessed this could be a viewpoint of yours
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of left field nominations.

Peter Foster. Could play at CHB and CHF and was one of the meanest guys ever to pull a boot on. Opposition players worried where he was when they ran to contests.

Les Bamblett. Lal made good players look foolish with his ball skills and would make our current forward line complete. Park him at the feet of our talk forwards and he'd kick 60-70 goals a year at a conservative estimate.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Peter Foster. Could play at CHB and CHF and was one of the meanest guys ever to pull a boot on. Opposition players worried where he was when they ran to contests.

Les Bamblett. Lal made good players look foolish with his ball skills and would make our current forward line complete. Park him at the feet of our talk forwards and he'd kick 60-70 goals a year at a conservative estimate.
    Well Lally's a left field call out for you mate.

I don't remember much of 1985 outside of being at the G during finals and seeing some great moments, but that bowl of jet black hair running amok was one of the things that stands out to me.

The other is just this talk and excitement around Doug Hawkins. This guy, Doug Hawkins who was having an amazing year and ripping the competition apart.

Onto Douggie, it'd be interesting to see what a 178cm kid with his skills and natural stamina could do today in the junior ranks. The boy from Braybrook would in all likelihood be a robot like all the others are, and probably on a scholarship at Toorak Tech or some other low level but expensive private school in his draft year, going top ten, maybe twenty.

He'd be dead on the inside, saying the right things when asked.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Didn't realise you nominated Lally when I wrote about him in another thread this morning. He was fantastic in 1985.

I have told this story before how we recruited him. He was tied to Melbourne but not getting games and he ended up in Perth living in a caravan park. When Shane O'Sullivan was in WA picking up all the great recruits he got, like Purser, Sewell, Shorty Daniels, etc etc he popped into the Caravan Park, knocked on the door, and Lally's Girl friend opened the door and said to Shane - what do you want. Shane asked if Lally was there, and she said why? Shane said I want to offer him a spot at Footscray, and before Lally could say anything, she said , we will take it.

Some highlights

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post