Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  101
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If you could bring just one thing…

Atmosphere.

Look, I get it - the game has changed, it's much more professional, but sitting in the stands at Marvel can be a robotic experience.

It's why I hope in my time, we can redevelop WO to a point where we can play interstate sides.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    I lived across the road and used to go home at half time for a cuppa so the location for me
    One of my best mates lived in Swan st. At halftime we'd duck over for few bongs and to stand in front of the heater.

On more than one occasion we didn't actually make it back.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    The return of the Hyde Street Band is a must for me.

Also, can you get Midori & lemonade anywhere at Marvel?
    Yep, the Hyde Street Bans should play the song as the side runs out and around the ground at half-time still.

More Standing Room would be great. I still stand lower deck when not with the family.

PS: I am a Vegetarian these days and have never been a KFC man, but seeing the fans duck off at half-time for KFC and coming back with it was some great memories from the Barkly St end. Vividly remember in 1996 half-way through the third as the Bullies were destroying the Crows, a supporter coming back with a full-bucket under each arm, exposed to the light drizzle. I still have not seen anyone close to smiling like this fan was!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Can I say a genuine home ground advantage that opposition sides fear coming to?

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard.

I attended the WAFL grand final this year at Leederville Oval. It was great in terms of atmosphere - 16500 in a ground build to hold maybe 10000 with facilities for about 3000...but the experience wasn't completely amazing.

The line for the toilets was biblical, getting a beer was impossible, food...what food...I was on the wing and looking directly into the setting sun in the last quarter...there was some 'BAD' in it. But at the same time there was some 'BAD' in the experience 'back in the day' as well. And despite what lots of people say (and I'm old) there have ALWAYS been bad footy games...

There has to be a balance though. Surely a club can do 'something' about trying to merge old and new. Boutique stadiums that hold 30000 should be enough for MOST games...and they could surely include things like a can bar, a marching band...and you should be able to get 'decent' food and apologies if I don't think that a Mrs Macs pie or whatever is the height of culinary perfection in 2022. Just look at any number of city cafe's and you will see a range of sangers/rolls/whatevers for < $15. Why at the footy does the worst version of this served along with half-sucked chips = the 'best' that can be done.

And yep, I know all about the boys club and how the in-ground catering profits are directed into the pockets of AFL directors...

Given a choice between the AFLW game I recently attended at Punt Road - possibly the single worst spectator experience I have ever had at a sporting event at ANY level (including Auskick!) - and dealing with piped in music at Marvel, I'd take the piped in music. At the same time, there simply HAS to be a better way.

Making the match day experience is going to become more and more important to clubs as that will be one way to differentiate income.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Thanks GVGjr, josie thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, Dogs 24/7, Max469, Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It's hard.

I attended the WAFL grand final this year at Leederville Oval. It was great in terms of atmosphere - 16500 in a ground build to hold maybe 10000 with facilities for about 3000...but the experience wasn't completely amazing.

The line for the toilets was biblical, getting a beer was impossible, food...what food...I was on the wing and looking directly into the setting sun in the last quarter...there was some 'BAD' in it. But at the same time there was some 'BAD' in the experience 'back in the day' as well. And despite what lots of people say (and I'm old) there have ALWAYS been bad footy games...

There has to be a balance though. Surely a club can do 'something' about trying to merge old and new. Boutique stadiums that hold 30000 should be enough for MOST games...and they could surely include things like a can bar, a marching band...and you should be able to get 'decent' food and apologies if I don't think that a Mrs Macs pie or whatever is the height of culinary perfection in 2022. Just look at any number of city cafe's and you will see a range of sangers/rolls/whatevers for < $15. Why at the footy does the worst version of this served along with half-sucked chips = the 'best' that can be done.

And yep, I know all about the boys club and how the in-ground catering profits are directed into the pockets of AFL directors...

Given a choice between the AFLW game I recently attended at Punt Road - possibly the single worst spectator experience I have ever had at a sporting event at ANY level (including Auskick!) - and dealing with piped in music at Marvel, I'd take the piped in music. At the same time, there simply HAS to be a better way.

Making the match day experience is going to become more and more important to clubs as that will be one way to differentiate income.
    Was standing on the wing for that Punt Road game and I'm not sure I've watched footy from too many worse places.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Was standing on the wing for that Punt Road game and I'm not sure I've watched footy from too many worse places.
    LOL @ "The wing". Was that the 2metres of grass between the boundary fence and the fence around the ground?

Seriously, what a joke.

9. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This article made me think of this thread:

https://apple.news/A99cxg727TeeOTm9asg3edA

11. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore!, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

One other thing I think could be brought back is the old selectors table night. I went to a heap of them and it was a laugh a minute.
    Super McPherson hosted them for a couple of seasons.

I'd forgotten about those. I remember me and my old man would treck all the way from Seaford about 3-4 times a year.

I remember one year Chris Grant was on the roaming mike and Terry Wallace was coach and I asked about a recent draftee Paul Digiovine and what type of player he would become. As you can see from the below link 1997 was a great draft year.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...dogs?year=1997
    More of an In Bruges guy?

13. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hyde St Band.

I’d be prepared to have them perform in a more modern format, so long as they kill off all the other music etc.

15. Likes SquirrelGrip, HOSE B ROMERO, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to get to the games early so as to grab a couple of seats in the Can Bar. As Twodogs mentioned it was the best spot you could watch games from. I used to sit near a former under 19's coach for us and really enjoyed discussing the footy with him.
    As good as it was it got better when Harry Beitzel started calling our games on 3WRB with Tommy Lahiff from a room located there.
    I used to have a quick chat to both of them before the game. Harry was good at remembering names but not so much Tommy.
    I used to be able to impersonate Tommy's catchphrases and once entered a competition on the radio. I think I came in 3rd behind Darren James from Coodabeen Champions fame and someone called Paul who mainly used to impersonate political characters.
    The Can Bar consisted of a couple of large shelf style fridges side by side, trestle tables and I'm pretty sure you could get pies out of the warmer and soft drinks. Plenty of people would pack their own food and you pretty much met the same people up there.

The last time I got up to the Can Bar was when there was renovations being done to the ground and the John Gents Stand.
    There was bird shit everywhere but I ended up having a long conversation with Robert Murphy's mother and father. Bob was coming back from a knee injury and they said how much it was impacting him.

Can Bar was a special spot.

One other thing I think could be brought back is the old selectors table night. I went to a heap of them and it was a laugh a minute.
    Super McPherson hosted them for a couple of seasons.

The Jam Doughnuts Caravan was sensational treat especially after a win, I must of got 3rd degree burns on the lips from there a dozen times.
    "Are you there Harry" was one of Tommy's gifts to us. Paul Jennings was a great mimic and also sometimes was the guy with the mic on World Championship Wrestling on channel 9 between Jack Little and EJ.

17. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    "Are you there Harry" was one of Tommy's gifts to us. Paul Jennings was a great mimic and also sometimes was the guy with the mic on World Championship Wrestling on channel 9 between Jack Little and EJ.
    Yes, it was Paul Jennings and Darren James who beat me impersonating Tommy.
    I could also do a good John Farhnam.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

To be beaten only by James & Jennings is outstanding G. Pity there is no video on WOOF.

Post Thanks / Like

Also Timmy from Coodabeens as I recall
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Standing with the same people each week.
    Last year, those of us with reserved seats didn't even get to get the modern day equivalent.

You get to know the quirky types and enjoy the banter in cotext.
    At Whitten Oval as a kid I remember Alby who always stood in the same spot near us and finished every piece of 'advice' with "you dickhead!"
    The blokes who stood on the other side of the race one full season just to cheer/heckle Mick Frost.
    The guy behind us who hated players 'coralling' the opposition and seemed to wait the whole game just to yell "run at him!" whenever it happened.
    Etc
    Etc

Atmosphere isn't fancy graphics, music on PAs, fireworks, costumes. It's none of that. It's people - and it's not just the connection the club has with it's supporters, the connection that supporters forge with each other that is a vital part of the connection.
    Modern football in GA seats, the past two years (everywhere) and the standing areas has completely overlooked this.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers