Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  55
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Favourite Bulldogs crowd moments

Was reading Mofra’s post regarding that missing crowd engagement we used to get at local grounds and I started thinking about the memorable crowd moments over the years and that it would make a good off season thread for Woof.

I reckon I had 10 I could’ve shared but I’ll share my 2 favourites I’d love to hear other Woofers best crowd tales.

Here goes (in no particular order):

1. The umbrella fight : It was an ordinary game with an ordinary crowd, I have no idea who we were playing I get the feeling it was Melbourne. It was late in the game and the crowd was feral, a few umpiring decisions had gone against the Dogs and people were getting worked into a lather. Including my dear old mum.

The action moved in front of our position on the 50 metre line, members side, Barkly St end and there was bit of argy bargy and I can only assume someone touched her Stevie Wallis and she gave it to the opposition player.

Next minute, whack! A woman behind her had bopped her on the head with her brollie ! So mum being mum grasped her umbrella like a medieval rapier and gave her one back….classic. Dad stepped in between them and it all settled down quite quickly I’ll never forget it.

2. The Haus is on fire : Colonial stadium or Telstra Dome can’t remember which, Luke Dalhaus was rocking the dreads and was the king of the kids back in his early days.

We rushed forward in traditional Dogs fashion at the Dome and Dalhaus got on the end of it and snagged a ripper snap sending the crowd into delirium.

The players were making their way back to their positions, the crowd descended into a lull and from out of nowhere a rather portly bearded gent stood, cleared his throat, and unleashed one of the best timed chants I’d ever heard.

”THE HAUS, THE HAUS, THE HAUS IS ON FIIIIIIIIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA”

The crowd was part stunned part bemused, the chant just echoed into the night like fireworks and the guy just sorted himself, looked quite pleased and sat back down.

It was gold I never forgot it.

I’m sure everyone’s got some classic stories, please share !

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes josie, Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favourite Bulldogs crowd moments

Oh when Gia knocked out Kosi running down the wing at Colonial. Someone piped up a few rows back with 'weak as piss Koschitzke'.

It broke the silence.

4. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Oh when Gia knocked out Kosi running down the wing at Colonial. Someone piped up a few rows back with 'weak as piss Koschitzke'.

It broke the silence.
    Haha that's good.Didn't realise Gia had it in him.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the funniest moments I remember was my Grandfather and "Uncle" Noel went to Western Oval to watch Melbourne v the 'Dogs. Dee's supporter Noel was well over six foot and my Grandad a five foot something Bulldog supporter. Any way Melbourne kicked a goal and Noel started to good naturedly push my Grandad around in fun. Then my Grandad felt an urgent tap on his shoulder. A rather large Bulldog supporter was saying, "Here hold my beer mate, he's a bit big for you". The large man then had to be mollified, and rather doubted that they were actually both neighbours and good friends. Cost Noel a couple of cans I remember.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

At the Western Oval I use to stand with the same mates and same crowd around me each week, between our players race and the Umpires race, there were always some funny comments. On this occasion we were playing Hawks in the mid 80s, and right in front of us, Dippa grabs his opponent by the shorts and his shorts are pulled slightly down exposing his buttocks. Some one in the crowd yells " Have a Dip Dippa"
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    One of the funniest moments I remember was my Grandfather and "Uncle" Noel went to Western Oval to watch Melbourne v the 'Dogs. Dee's supporter Noel was well over six foot and my Grandad a five foot something Bulldog supporter. Any way Melbourne kicked a goal and Noel started to good naturedly push my Grandad around in fun. Then my Grandad felt an urgent tap on his shoulder. A rather large Bulldog supporter was saying, "Here hold my beer mate, he's a bit big for you". The large man then had to be mollified, and rather doubted that they were actually both neighbours and good friends. Cost Noel a couple of cans I remember.
    That’s good J54. Those moments are what we miss now, so many characters back at the local grounds.

Love how the tribe came to his aid even though he didn’t need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    At the Western Oval I use to stand with the same mates and same crowd around me each week, between our players race and the Umpires race, there were always some funny comments. On this occasion we were playing Hawks in the mid 80s, and right in front of us, Dippa grabs his opponent by the shorts and his shorts are pulled slightly down exposing his buttocks. Some one in the crowd yells " Have a Dip Dippa"
    Haha… Dippa what a character he was. Incredible player. You stood not far from me, we were on the other side of the players race.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After the game, the players used to go into the race and after a while fans would be let into the rooms.

One game (a good win) my dad's mate leans over and yells "let em in" so the security guards move over and just see (too late) tyhat it wa sa crowd member who said it. The look on the security guard's face was priceless.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing beats the return of Peter Cameron though.

In the late 80s, Cameron was the only real recognizable umpire. He was the Razor Ray of his time. He famously was kicked by a horse at the MCG and had to spend 3 months in rehab.
    At Whitten Oval, the umpires had their own separate rooms and race to walk down. It was around 3/4 time of the reserves game and Cameron (with the other umpires) were walking the boundary to get to the rooms.

He didn't even get to the umpire's race before someone screamed out "The horse should have finished you off Cameron!"
    The crowd pissed themselves laughing and Cameron himself lost it. Brilliant timing.

15. Thanks Grantysghost, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Haha… Dippa what a character he was. Incredible player. You stood not far from me, we were on the other side of the players race.
    Met there for many years till they invented the Can Bar, and we moved up there.

What I loved about those years was the passion the crowd displayed.

When the crowd was at capacity, the atmosphere was incredible. The closest to that at a small stadium was when we took over GWS ground for the Prelim in 2016.

One of the best games was 1985 round 5 v Bombres when 33,000 showed up and we smashed them by 41 points, of course they won the Premiership that year. 1985 the missed opportunity for us.

Edit: I just looked up that game and one of my favourites back then Lally Bamblett kicked 4:2 from 8 disposals. would love to have him in the team today. Kicked 50 goals that year and as usual, under rated by stupid MSM.

A snip from that game. We kicked 7 in the 3rd to their 3 points and blew them away

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    After the game, the players used to go into the race and after a while fans would be let into the rooms.

One game (a good win) my dad's mate leans over and yells "let em in" so the security guards move over and just see (too late) tyhat it wa sa crowd member who said it. The look on the security guard's face was priceless.
    Haha - that is gold. Some of the characters were priceless.

I spent an afternoon at the Pub across from the G, lets call it La Real, with the Richmond fans after a win against the Pies some of the funniest people I've ever met.
    The Tigers song would randomly come on every ten to fifteen minutes and the place would erupt time and time again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Nothing beats the return of Peter Cameron though.

In the late 80s, Cameron was the only real recognizable umpire. He was the Razor Ray of his time. He famously was kicked by a horse at the MCG and had to spend 3 months in rehab.
    At Whitten Oval, the umpires had their own separate rooms and race to walk down. It was around 3/4 time of the reserves game and Cameron (with the other umpires) were walking the boundary to get to the rooms.

He didn't even get to the umpire's race before someone screamed out "The horse should have finished you off Cameron!"
    The crowd pissed themselves laughing and Cameron himself lost it. Brilliant timing.
    I remember Peter - he was larger than life like you say. He and Glenn James I remember well.

Peter had that awesome moustache!

20. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug Hawkins’ first game back after his knee injury he came on in the third quarter and the game stopped as he ran across to his wing to a standing ovation.

The “Elliott’s a Wanker” chant after his tragic club comments as Trent Bartlett kicked his fifth for the day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    Doug Hawkins’ first game back after his knee injury he came on in the third quarter and the game stopped as he ran across to his wing to a standing ovation.

The “Elliott’s a Wanker” chant after his tragic club comments as Trent Bartlett kicked his fifth for the day
    Beautiful - I remember the day Doug did his knee and it was horrific. I don't think he was ever the same afterwards.

I can't recall the comeback game, but I was probably there.

23. Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony 'Gloves' Campbell keeping the St Kilda version of Tony Lockett goalless one half, and as he's walking into the players race in typical style (long sleeves, gloves, immaculate slicked back hair) someone screams out "ya killing him ya big poof!"

It was a different era