Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  180
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL next CEO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL next CEO

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't really feel like we've got her now. Just another career corporatist on her way up to her next sinecure.
    She was at the East West Club with her parents who are all lifelong Bulldogs supporters. I think the criticism of her goes over the top. Our club has had continued success while KWW has been president.

How many current club presidents can you name? I'm stuck after Kochie to be honest. We were spoiled with Gordon - but he isn't the norm.

Edit: didn't realise there was so much thread after the comment I quoted. I have no issue with KWW and think if she leaves, then she leaves the club in a better state than she found it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I just google searched KWW and Good Friday. I didn't see any commentary about us losing the fixture. That's something to my mind the president should be passionate and vocal about, in lieu of us wanting to build a yearly event with North and the Royal Children's. That's just one example.
    It's interesting her style. She was VP to Gordo for 4 years so would have learnt the ropes through him.

3. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    She was at the East West Club with her parents who are all lifelong Bulldogs supporters. I think the criticism of her goes over the top. Our club has had continued success while KWW has been president.

How many current club presidents can you name? I'm stuck after Kochie to be honest. We were spoiled with Gordon - but he isn't the norm.

Edit: didn't realise there was so much thread after the comment I quoted. I have no issue with KWW and think if she leaves, then she leaves the club in a better state than she found it.
    I agree with all of this but would like to add a qualifier to the bolded part. Peter, like Winston Churchill, was a great wartime leader. All those years ago, Peter was just what was needed to galvinise a defeated demography with defiance, anyone who attended that Sunday rally way back in 1989 experienced a never to be forgotten moment in Footy history, there were plenty of supporters of other clubs there, too, sensing the moment, supporters claiming the game from corporates. Within 5 years, the Club was back on its knees, the young in years Board at their wits end. Along came an older, wiser David Smorgon and a more mature board, repaired the relationship with the VFL/AFL the Club prospered. In Peter's second stint, he was different, a solid performer, vocal but restrained, like David. Don't get me wrong, David wasn't perfect but that's for another time / thread. The Club now prospers and grows in influence, no longer the poor old bulldogs with their "tragic history". It?s arguable that Kylie, with her corporate background, the good will from her involvement in the Marvel naming rights contract and lower public profile is the model of presidency the Club now deserves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    I agree with all of this but would like to add a qualifier to the bolded part. Peter, like Winston Churchill, was a great wartime leader. All those years ago, Peter was just what was needed to galvinise a defeated demography with defiance, anyone who attended that Sunday rally way back in 1989 experienced a never to be forgotten moment in Footy history, there were plenty of supporters of other clubs there, too, sensing the moment, supporters claiming the game from corporates. Within 5 years, the Club was back on its knees, the young in years Board at their wits end. Along came an older, wiser David Smorgon and a more mature board, repaired the relationship with the VFL/AFL the Club prospered. In Peter's second stint, he was different, a solid performer, vocal but restrained, like David. Don't get me wrong, David wasn't perfect but that's for another time / thread. The Club now prospers and grows in influence, no longer the poor old bulldogs with their "tragic history". It?s arguable that Kylie, with her corporate background, the good will from her involvement in the Marvel naming rights contract and lower public profile is the model of presidency the Club now deserves.
    Excellent Post
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Thanks D Mitchell thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the current Presidents/Chairs of each club:

Adelaide
    * Andrew Wellington (2017–present)
    Carlton
    * Luke Sayers (2021–present)
    Collingwood
    * Jeff Browne (2021-present)
    Essendon
    * David Barham (2022 - present)
    Fremantle
    * Dale Alcock (2016 – present)
    Geelong
    * Craig Drummond (2021–present)
    Gold Coast
    * Tony Cochrane (2016 – present)
    Greater Western Sydney
    * Tony Shepherd (2011–present)
    Hawthorn
    * Andy Gowers (2022–present)
    Melbourne
    * Kate Roffey (2021–present)
    North Melbourne/Kangaroos
    * Dr Sonja Hood (2022–present)
    Port Adelaide
    * David Koch (2013–present)
    Richmond
    * John O'Rourke (2022–present)
    St Kilda
    * Andrew Bassat (2018–present)
    Sydney
    * Andrew Pridham (2013 – present)
    Western Bulldogs
    * Kylie Watson-Wheeler (2021-present)
    West Coast
    * Russell Gibbs (2016–present)
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

8. Thanks Grantysghost, bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In related news apparently Simon Garlick is a hot favourite to leave Freo and take up the vacant general manager of football position at the AFL.

10. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Here are the current Presidents/Chairs of each club:

Adelaide
    * Andrew Wellington (2017–present)
    Carlton
    * Luke Sayers (2021–present)
    Collingwood
    Essendon
    * David Barham (2022 - present)
    Fremantle
    * Dale Alcock (2016 – present)
    Geelong
    * Craig Drummond (2021–present)
    Gold Coast
    * Tony Cochrane (2016 – present)
    Greater Western Sydney
    * Tony Shepherd (2011–present)
    Hawthorn
    Melbourne
    * Kate Roffey (2021–present)
    North Melbourne/Kangaroos
    * Dr Sonja Hood (2022–present)
    Port Adelaide
    * David Koch (2013–present)
    Richmond
    * John O'Rourke (2022–present)
    St Kilda
    * Andrew Bassat (2018–present)
    Sydney
    * Andrew Pridham (2013 – present)
    Western Bulldogs
    * Kylie Watson-Wheeler (2021-present)
    West Coast
    * Russell Gibbs (2016–present)
    Heard of about 4 of them

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SquirrelGrip;836369]Here are the current Presidents/Chairs of each club:

A.....
    Collingwood
    Hawthorn
    Thanks for that, all, for me, immediately forgettable except
    (a) C'Wood. Browne long the League's solicitor. Conflicts of interest all over the place, why is that a surprise ?; and
    (b) H'thorn. Andrew Gowers. The Gowers are descendants of the great Sir Leo Cussen, arguably the best legal brain this country has ever produced.

13. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Brilliantly accurate

15. Thanks D Mitchell thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cochrane (GCS) and Shepherd (GWS) are both long standing and vocal presidents. I would suggest most have seen or heard from them even if you don't recall their names.

17. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Cochrane (GCS) and Shepherd (GWS) are both long standing and vocal presidents. I would suggest most have seen or heard from them even if you don't recall their names.
    Cochrane was leaving in March.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    In related news apparently Simon Garlick is a hot favourite to leave Freo and take up the vacant general manager of football position at the AFL.
    It be good to get someone in the AFL with a genuine bulldogs connection

Hopefully it will reduce some of the hate they have for us at the tribuneral

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    It be good to get someone in the AFL with a genuine bulldogs connection

Hopefully it will reduce some of the hate they have for us at the tribuneral
    Garlick was doing his MBA whilst still playing, from memory, so he'd be after a job in admin rather than at the Tribunal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    This is a good post HD. She is a victim of her predecessors.

I certainly have that same feeling, that she isn't visible enough however then I ask myself is she any different to Peggy O'Neal at the Demons or Roffey at the Tigers and the comparison is maybe less stark.

What do people want to see more of is probably a good question to ask?
    They want to hear our President going 'Up yours Oakley' I mean up yours Gil! We're used to that approach in the Western Burbs.

Smorgo is a Gold nugget. Think most AFL Presidents are very behind the scenes at an operational level unless you're a raving lunatic who also happens to be celebrity.

22. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I actually think she's done very well but as members and shareholders we should be seeing and hearing more from her. She makes an exceptionally great impression when she talks at events and it's why most of us would like to see her more.

Gil's style is very different and if she was to be successful it will be interesting to see how she goes about it.
    I like a president who operates effectively in the background and respect anyone who is comfortable enough not to command a media presence.

Perhaps a regular 'presidents update' video to the membership with news on the issues being dealt with would suffice?

The grandstanders who want to be heard on every known issue and pretend they are making a difference are just a pain.

24. Likes josie, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post