Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  180
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: AFL next CEO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL next CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    I like a president who operates effectively in the background and respect anyone who is comfortable enough not to command a media presence.

Perhaps a regular 'presidents update' video to the membership with news on the issues being dealt with would suffice?

The grandstanders who want to be heard on every known issue and pretend they are making a difference are just a pain.
    It sure would, I like her and think she is a very good president but she should get out in front of the fans more because she makes such a positive impression. A 5 minute update video every few weeks would be time well spent.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope she gets it. The AFL needs to break from the boys club. Someone who wasn?t groomed by Gil, a female, now with some club land experience, and with a perspective of a small club not just a mega club? I think she ticks the boxes.

As a member, I don?t really care how much I hear from the president. I?m not exactly sure where the president starts and the CEO and Board start/end. What actually is the role? While KWW is more senior, I don?t think her voice in a press release would hold more weight than Bains? does.

4. Likes EasternWest, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    The AFL needs to break from the boys club.
    I'm sure the current executive is hard working but I am so over the way the game is run. Please. Some new ideas (and ideals) at executive AND commission level.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm sure the current executive is hard working but I am so over the way the game is run. Please. Some new ideas (and ideals) at executive AND commission level.
    Ditto
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Curious. What is it about the way the game is run that displeases you ? Is it that it's too focused on money ? too preoccupied with social issues ? too blokey ie execs appearing on TV really talking about themselves rather than issues ? the fixture rather than a draw ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    Curious. What is it about the way the game is run that displeases you ? Is it that it's too focused on money ? too preoccupied with social issues ? too blokey ie execs appearing on TV really talking about themselves rather than issues ? the fixture rather than a draw ?
    All.

Although I'll make a note that the social issues one is much more virtue signalling, in that I think they say a lot of the right things but don't execute.

The AFL likes to pretend it's this amazing professional organisation but every time the curtain is pulled back it is basically still just as competent as the blokes running your div 4 EFL club in their spare time, just scaled up. Bunch of unjustified egos, poor decision makers, out of touch wankers, who continually make obviously bad decisions but are never held accountable for it.

It's definitely on show this week with "Gather Round". It's fine as a concept, but the backslapping last night about how whoever came up with the idea is a genius (it's directly stolen from about 6 other codes), and how it will be lauded as this huge success when the AFL is still so dumb as to schedule a team in a bizzarely newly created timeslot of 3pm on a weekday for literally no reason kind of starts to illustrate the frustrations one could have with league.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

10. Thanks D Mitchell thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    I'm not going to rant but (in no particular order):

- The continuous rule changes that eat away at the fabric of the game.
    - The simple fact that the broadcast 'partner' doesn't send commentators to the venues where games are played.
    - The unfair nature of the fixture.
    - The manipulation of the draft.
    - The focus on enabling player movement.
    - The Gold Coast Suns.
    - The complete shamozzle of what is called AFLW.
    - The lack of a true tier 2 competition and the absurd amount of money spent flying state league teams all over the eastern seaboard.
    - The lack of a clear policy on sports betting and the level of advertising.
    - The confusion (and YEP, COVID - I get it) around the direction of the talent pathway over the past 5 years.
    - The removal of the AFL-AIS academy and the introduction of the club-based academy system when the clubs (for the most part) dont have academies.
    - The joke of the 4-umpire system.
    - The match review system and the tribunal.
    - Clash jumpers.
    - Scheduling of game-times.
    - Thursday night footy and the chase for $ that is compromising junior footy.
    - The de-evolution of coaching in favour of relationship building.
    - The lack of attention given to the development of 'recreation' versions of the game as a solution to address drop out.
    - The last touch rule and the absolute farce that is coming our way.
    - The absence of 100-goal per year goal kickers and the fact that despite 10000000 rule changes the fundamental goal - increase scoring - has not been close to achieved.
    - The price of a pie at the footy and the fact that when I go to the game I have to drink mid-strength beer out of a paper cup.

I could and should keep going but it's not great.

12. Thanks bulldogtragic, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don?t think it?s arguable that she?s been a poor advocate for the club. Not everyone has to be Eddie McGuire standing outside a big top with a megaphone and a top hat but she?s been virtually anonymous outside of end of season stuff that only members watch or read anyway.

It really does feel like we?ve been used as a resume builder, which stings coming from a position we?ve seen previously be filled by only the most passionate of Bulldog people.
    On the other hand how many other club's presidents can we name because they are "out there". Eddie was everywhere even before he was president of Collingwood. To me she is no different than the others.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to rant but (in no particular order):

- The continuous rule changes that eat away at the fabric of the game.
    - The simple fact that the broadcast 'partner' doesn't send commentators to the venues where games are played.
    - The unfair nature of the fixture.
    - The manipulation of the draft.
    - The focus on enabling player movement.
    - The Gold Coast Suns.
    - The complete shamozzle of what is called AFLW.
    - The lack of a true tier 2 competition and the absurd amount of money spent flying state league teams all over the eastern seaboard.
    - The lack of a clear policy on sports betting and the level of advertising.
    - The confusion (and YEP, COVID - I get it) around the direction of the talent pathway over the past 5 years.
    - The removal of the AFL-AIS academy and the introduction of the club-based academy system when the clubs (for the most part) dont have academies.
    - The joke of the 4-umpire system.
    - The match review system and the tribunal.
    - Clash jumpers.
    - Scheduling of game-times.
    - Thursday night footy and the chase for $ that is compromising junior footy.
    - The lack of attention given to the development of 'recreation' versions of the game as a solution to address drop out.
    - The last touch rule and the absolute farce that is coming our way.
    - The absence of 100-goal per year goal kickers and the fact that despite 10000000 rule changes the fundamental goal - increase scoring - has not been close to achieved.
    - The price of a pie at the footy and the fact that when I go to the game I have to drink mid-strength beer out of a paper cup.

I could and should keep going but it's not great.
    Please do a rant version!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to rant but (......
    I'd hate to see one of your rants.

That's a comprehensive list. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you elaborate on this one? I'm not sure I understand it and how it relates to the AFL admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that Andrew Dillon has stepped off a few boards he was on that would have conflicted with Gil's role.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Could you elaborate on this one? I'm not sure I understand it and how it relates to the AFL admin.
    Well, sure.

I have done my Level 3 or Hi Performance coaching course TWICE. Once in 2008, then again in 2020.

In 2008 (course extends for 12-months) it was about FOOTBALL and we were each challenged on the programs we were running. We had to write development players for players to assist in kicking remediation, construct match day strategies etc. It was a FOOTBALL course.

In 2020 it still took 7-days but it was first year uni psychology...and I know that 'cos I did a 4-year psych degree. It wasn't about FOOTBALL. It was a general 'coaching' course and all about story telling (cool) and relationship building (cool) and you need all of that...but you need to be able to actual coach the skills of the game and construct a game-plan etc.

I don't exactly know what's behind it but they have turned an awesome footy focussed course designed to help coaches improve and genuinely assist players become better into something designed to help coaches build relationships, understand the difference between coaching men and women, understand the battles of First Nations footballers in society...it's just not the same course and not even close to being 'good'.

So - that 100% relates to the AFL Admin because that is the stuff they are teaching.

Oh - and even your Level 1 used to have to be done in person and now it is 100% online? I mean, who can't spare 3 hours in February on a Wednesday night in order to coach their kids footy team starting in March? I know it's the way of the world but on one hand (Level 3) the coaching course has become ALL about relationships whereas on the other the Level 1 has become the opposite - don't build connection and relationships and ask questions...just sit at your desk and tick some boxes and...anyway.

19. Thanks hujsh, bulldogtragic, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Uninformed, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, sure.

I have done my Level 3 or Hi Performance coaching course TWICE. Once in 2008, then again in 2020.

In 2008 (course extends for 12-months) it was about FOOTBALL and we were each challenged on the programs we were running. We had to write development players for players to assist in kicking remediation, construct match day strategies etc. It was a FOOTBALL course.

In 2020 it still took 7-days but it was first year uni psychology...and I know that 'cos I did a 4-year psych degree. It wasn't about FOOTBALL. It was a general 'coaching' course and all about story telling (cool) and relationship building (cool) and you need all of that...but you need to be able to actual coach the skills of the game and construct a game-plan etc.

I don't exactly know what's behind it but they have turned an awesome footy focussed course designed to help coaches improve and genuinely assist players become better into something designed to help coaches build relationships, understand the difference between coaching men and women, understand the battles of First Nations footballers in society...it's just not the same course and not even close to being 'good'.

So - that 100% relates to the AFL Admin because that is the stuff they are teaching.

Oh - and even your Level 1 used to have to be done in person and now it is 100% online? I mean, who can't spare 3 hours in February on a Wednesday night in order to coach their kids footy team starting in March? I know it's the way of the world but on one hand (Level 3) the coaching course has become ALL about relationships whereas on the other the Level 1 has become the opposite - don't build connection and relationships and ask questions...just sit at your desk and tick some boxes and...anyway.
    Ah thanks I didn't get it was around coaching courses and was wondering why the AFL would be responsible if Bevo decided to focus on relationships as part of his coaching strategy.

I hope that initial course still exists in some form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I don't really feel like we've got her now. Just another career corporatist on her way up to her next sinecure.
    Love it when you bust out vocabulary that makes me get the dictionary out EastWestie

22. Likes mjp, MrMahatma, EasternWest, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post