Thanks Thanks:  38
Likes Likes:  180
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: AFL next CEO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL next CEO

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    If it is to be KWW, Darcy steps up as President you'd think?

We seem a bit light on for successful industry folk with a profile that actually seem to want to be involved?
    Is Darcy a self-made successful entrepreneur? Does he have the interests of the club at heart, and isn't going to use the position as a personal stepping stone in his own career? If the answer to both questions is yes and the position is available in the future, then he'd be a worthy candidate (hopefully there are many other quality candidates).

I don't care at all about his personal political leanings, so long as they remain personal and don't impact on any public representation of the club. By all means lobby whoever is in power purely for the benefit of the club, but treat every single politician/political party as the vile, slimy snake-oil salesman that they are. Know they are all deeply untalented and thoroughly mediocre people, and they exist as politicians purely in a self-serving capacity - so if their self-serving benefits our club on occasion then great.

IMO, it's such a weird flex to be favouring one slime-bag politician/political party over another, but so many more people seem to do this today than in years past, which is absolutely their right in a free thinking society. Each to their own. Maybe I'm the outlier in my complete and utter disdain and disregard for all of them without exception.
    Last edited by Sedat; 19-04-2023 at 03:22 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    IMO, it's such a weird flex to be favouring one slime-bag politician/political party over another. Each to their own I suppose.
    I think this is extremely relative to the amount of privilege/discrimination you face based on things that aren't your choosing. A bit different for a white rich middle aged straight man to favour/flex compared to a refugee/member of LGBTIQ+ community or what not. I get you find all politicians slimy but for some, certain parties/politicians gaining power can truly impact their lives outside of their tax return.

I truly believe 'they are all as bad as each other' line is an enormous leg up to the most evil.

Anyways, I do agree with whatever helps the Bulldogs part. And if we eliminate economy/wealth first Libs from President talks, we won't be left with too much options.

Post Thanks / Like

Each to their own. Maybe I'm the outlier in my complete and utter disdain and disregard for all of them without exception.
    I think you at least make an effort to be fair and give reasoning. I think rather than an outlier, I'd say it's different for different people.

Easier for a straight white middle class middle aged man (I know that's not you Sedat) to be 'non political' than perhaps any other combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I think this is extremely relative to the amount of privilege/discrimination you face based on things that aren't your choosing. A bit different for a white rich middle aged straight man to favour/flex compared to a refugee/member of LGBTIQ+ community or what not. I get you find all politicians slimy but for some, certain parties/politicians gaining power can truly impact their lives outside of their tax return.

I truly believe 'they are all as bad as each other' line is an enormous leg up to the most evil.
    You're a good man and I always respect your position Rocco, even if I respectfully disagree from time to time. I don't think any politician/party really cares about any subset of the community (vulnerable or otherwise) - they are nothing more than a potential voting bloc who will assist the politician/party on their own personal crusade for even more personal wealth and power. I honestly believe the most minimal basic involvement that politicians have in all our day-to-day lives, the better and more personally rewarding our collective lives will be - I know that my life is far better and more rewarding without their involvement in it and with me significantly reducing consumption of their content.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Darcy a self-made successful entrepreneur? Does he have the interests of the club at heart, and isn't going to use the position as a personal stepping stone in his own career? If the answer to both questions is yes and the position is available in the future, then he'd be a worthy candidate (hopefully there are many other quality candidates).

I don't care at all about his personal political leanings, so long as they remain personal and don't impact on any public representation of the club. By all means lobby whoever is in power purely for the benefit of the club, but treat every single politician/political party as the vile, slimy snake-oil salesman that they are. Know they are all deeply untalented and thoroughly mediocre people, and they exist as politicians purely in a self-serving capacity - so if their self-serving benefits our club on occasion then great.

IMO, it's such a weird flex to be favouring one slime-bag politician/political party over another, but so many more people seem to do this today than in years past, which is absolutely their right in a free thinking society. Each to their own. Maybe I'm the outlier in my complete and utter disdain and disregard for all of them without exception.
    I think you might be generalising a bit.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

You're a good man and I always respect your position Rocco, even if I respectfully disagree from time to time. I don't think any politician/party really cares about any subset of the community - they are nothing more than a potential voting bloc who will assist the politician/party on their own personal crusade for even more personal wealth and power. The less involvement they have in all our lives, the richer our lives will be IMO.
    Thank you and I think the same back.

I definitely hear what you're saying but for marginalised members of society, whatever the motive or intention, even it's 'branding' or 'marketing', I'd prefer the product that makes it less likely to get racially abused, a victim of homophobia, the list is endless. Even if it is 'just' simply promoting stuff that's bottom of the pyramid discrimination wise, it is impactful.

Assisting some personal crusades is better for society than other ones. Being low-key okay with Nazis probably more a marketing thing with Trump than true beliefs. Wanting to be hard on anyone who condones that might be for personal gain, probably even. But I know which branding I want to win.

Of course ultimately it would be great for as many of us to be as educated and experienced as possible. Have a truly free society. In effect I am advocating for the least shitty of all options rather than saying I am backing something wonderful.

Anyways, the main thing, if Luke Darcy helps us I don't care.

The vast majority of suitable AFL President candidates surely sit in the 'right-moderate/teal open market, capitalism is great but I do cringe at my colleagues when they are homophobic/racist, Malcolm Turnbull-esque' mould.

8. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I definitely hear what you're saying but for marginalised members of society, whatever the motive or intention, even it's 'branding' or 'marketing', I'd prefer the product that makes it less likely to get racially abused, a victim of homophobia, the list is endless. Even if it is 'just' simply promoting stuff that's bottom of the pyramid discrimination wise, it is impactful.
    I would say 99.5% of the population would be in furious agreement with you on the above (I certainly am), but the amplified voices of the 0.5% (on both radical sides of the spectrum) seem to get a disproportionately high % of media profile and political focus so that it seems like we are a wholly intolerant nation, when the reality is we are anything but.

As a student of marketing and branding and who has made a 25 year career from it, you don't need to sell me on the importance of this if you are trying to sell laundry detergent, yoghurt or any other consumable goods and services. However, I would prefer to see the billions of public $$$ annually spent on the most vulnerable groups in our community to actually and tangibly benefit these groups at the coalface, and not simply line the pockets of the pollies and the lobbyists as they invariably (and not coincidentally) always do. But I digress....

Back to the topic, Luke Darcy political leanings should have no bearing on his candidacy credentials or otherwise. So long as there is talent, competency, passion, and dedication to the club, all applicants should be welcome (assuming KW-W moves on to greener pastures).
    Last edited by Sedat; 19-04-2023 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say 99.5% of the population would be in furious agreement with you on the above (I certainly am), but the amplified voices of the 0.5% (on both radical sides of the spectrum) seem to get a disproportionately high % of media profile and political focus so that it seems like we are a wholly intolerant nation, when the reality is we are anything but.
    The media coverage is ridiculously self interested and not representative of what people are really worried about. A good example recently was the Aston by-election. Every media organisation was covering trans issues (which are important)/ culture wars en masse because of the circus that was in town at the time, but largely the people voting just wanted someone to tell them how they can feed themselves and try not to lose their houses.

The politcal, media and business classes have lost the plot. John Roskam of IPA fame had to quit because he couldn't keep battling/ losing a culture war that he himself practically started and existed entirely in his own head, Tony Abbott gets up and tells everyone Pell (a pedo activist and protector at best, at worst a pedo) is the best Australian he's ever known, business leaders want to have a workforce of 40% that identifies as male, 40% female and 20% other (where do you actually find 20% of people who identify as other? - I can't source that, but someone I trust attended a lunch where such commentary got glorious ovations), and media practically ignores a death of a woman each week at the hands of a partner in fear of not being cognizant of men's rights/ issues.

The more we can just keep footy as footy and out of the abovementioned mess when it comes to club representations, unless it's obviously clear whoever is nominated is out of touch and/ or an arseehole, the better.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes EasternWest, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    but largely the people voting just wanted someone to tell them how they can feed themselves and try not to lose their houses.
    Yes, although that also came with the added bonus of James "Major Arnold Toht" Campbell crying into his cornflakes the next morning.

I wonder if Roshena Campbell has moved into her rental at Scoresby yet?

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    and media practically ignores a death of a woman each week at the hands of a partner in fear of not being cognizant of men's rights/ issues.
    Yes.

I really like James Newbury and hope that one day he'll be Victorian Premier (this is %100 a comment designed to draw out a Sedat politics rant, because there's nothing I love more).
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Sedat, I assume you've signed up for the Western Bulldogs Performance Leadership course, with KWW and Ameet as key speakers? (As well as Bevo and Easton Wood).

Link

14. Likes jeemak, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Y....ry and hope that one day he'll be Victorian Premier (this is %100 a comment designed to draw out a Sedat politics rant, because there's nothing I love more).
    If Sedat is a rusted on ALP voter, there's a fair chance that he'd agree with you, subject to Newbury moving to the ALP, a party which might be said to be one in which Newbury might feel more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like

Darc would absolutely be an appropriate candidate. I mostly agree with your sentiment there too, we have to accept that folk will wear different hats, hold various political opinions and preferences and interests and that all these things can exist without any real drama if the person is qualified and acting in the best interests of the club and within the boundaries of their role.

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of who else would be in the mix?

In terms of ex players/known club people:
    At one point Dimma was making noises, but he’s not the right guy at all.
    Beasley isn’t allowed to.
    Wynd \ Galaxy have successfully overseen businesses but doubt they have an interest

There are probably some folk on the board who are capable too, but don’t have the public profile yet.

I’d just like to see whoever is the President be a little more public facing, do a bit more story telling and identity buildijg amongst the club and fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    If Sedat is a rusted on ALP voter, there's a fair chance that he'd agree with you, subject to Newbury moving to the ALP, a party which might be said to be one in which Newbury might feel more comfortable.
    Lol that's a joke right? James "born to rule let's kick poor people onto the street and sell the land bastiaanz ally" Newbury?

Also I doubt Sedat simps for any politician or side, as it should be.
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Darc would absolutely be an appropriate candidate. I mostly agree with your sentiment there too, we have to accept that folk will wear different hats, hold various political opinions and preferences and interests and that all these things can exist without any real drama if the person is qualified and acting in the best interests of the club and within the boundaries of their role.

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of who else would be in the mix?

In terms of ex players/known club people:
    At one point Dimma was making noises, but he’s not the right guy at all.
    Beasley isn’t allowed to.
    Wynd \ Galaxy have successfully overseen businesses but doubt they have an interest

There are probably some folk on the board who are capable too, but don’t have the public profile yet.

I’d just like to see whoever is the President be a little more public facing, do a bit more story telling and identity buildijg amongst the club and fans.
    I think it was GVGjr that suggested Andrew Westacott the ex F1 boss, but he has also put up his hand for the AFL CEO Role
    Last edited by bornadog; 20-04-2023 at 05:49 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brickman for President!