Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  27
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Where does Jamarra Play in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think we stop looking at Marra as a key position forward and start looking at him as a high half forward with aerial ability. He is a Nicky Winmar clone more than a Buddy Franklin type player
    I would say he's more Willie Roe than Nicky Winmar if we are sticking with First Nations comparisons.

BUT.

I actually think in terms of modern day players he's more like a taller version of Jack Gunstan. In time he will be able to play behind the ball but right now moving him up to the wing etc is a pipe dream...5 mins here and there with a specific role? Sure. Full time? No chance.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If he keeps kicking the way he is his numbers will still be better than McKay and King and on par with Naughton.
    I'm not sure what stats you are looking at but JUH is running at 42% accuracy across his career and 39% last season. Naughton is 51% across his career. McKay is 50% and Max King 48%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm not sure what stats you are looking at but JUH is running at 42% accuracy across his career and 39% last season. Naughton is 51% across his career. McKay is 50% and Max King 48%.
    Really, my maths is my weak link no doubt.

I was looking at his 25 goals 18 behinds so 43 shots for 25 goals. Seems to be getting more than he's missing how do they work it out?

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Really, my maths is my weak link no doubt.

I was looking at his 25 goals 18 behinds so 43 shots for 25 goals. Seems to be getting more than he's missing how do they work it out?
    AFL website has shots on goal numbers so includes out on the full, shots that fall short, etc. JUH is 25 goals from 60 shots. It's a more accurate measure.

7. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reiterate. CHF.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    AFL website has shots on goal numbers so includes out on the full, shots that fall short, etc. JUH is 25 goals from 60 shots. It's a more accurate measure.
    No worries gotcha.

Post Thanks / Like

FF in the future IMO.

That burst of speed will be hard to handle after he gains enough strength to push away from his man.

I feel like he could model his game on a guy like Jack Riewoldt

**In 2023 he'd be handy as a high half forward. He's got a booming penetrating 60m kick on him.

11. Likes F'scary, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon, using the modern game lingo, he’ll be the third tall, roaming everywhere from the goal square to up on the wings. I remember watching him right at the start, flying for marks and having the ball just skimming his fingertips. I said then and I’ll say it again now, once he starts clunking them, he’s going to be an absolute superstar. I’m expecting that to happen this year.
    Using traditional terms, we’ll be classifying him as a CHF, as Naughton and Lobb will play much closer to the goals, and JUH will do much of his work outside the 50m arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    FF in the future IMO.

That burst of speed will be hard to handle after he gains enough strength to push away from his man.

I feel like he could model his game on a guy like Jack Riewoldt

**In 2023 he'd be handy as a high half forward. He's got a booming penetrating 60m kick on him.
    I like your thinking ie a Riewoldt type of forward - that would really suit him
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For this year I would give him space, playing at HFF, on the side of the ground which suits his kicking leg.

Lots of space to lead into, he is a beautiful leading forward when he chooses to be. Keep him away from the heavy stuff for another year.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Does he have a tank big enough to play anywhere other than FP?
    Not yet no. Another preseason or two is needed. If Bruce is out of the deep lead up role that's what Marra needs to do. Lobb and Naughton are not these type of players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think we stop looking at Marra as a key position forward and start looking at him as a high half forward with aerial ability. He is a Nicky Winmar clone more than a Buddy Franklin type player
    He's really not he's been a lead up all through Juniors I've watched him at Fram as a 16 year old in the south-west. He's never played like Winmar.

Anyway, he can't play a high forward role he'll gas out and be useless. It's the hardest position to play. Maybe 10 minutes stints.

18. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that I put a lot of stock in what King has to say, he's a bit hit and miss for me, but he suggested that Marra could become a J.Cameron type of player in time, which I wouldn't mind. One that roams up and down the wings and burns their opponent. Not sure if Marra will ever develop the tank to do it through work rate, although he has improved a hell of a lot in that area, but the kid's silky and quick so may be able to do it that way. Cannot wait to see him, Darcy and Naughts in 3 years time just cutting teams apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DadBod View Post
    Not that I put a lot of stock in what King has to say, he's a bit hit and miss for me, but he suggested that Marra could become a J.Cameron type of player in time, which I wouldn't mind. One that roams up and down the wings and burns their opponent. Not sure if Marra will ever develop the tank to do it through work rate, although he has improved a hell of a lot in that area, but the kid's silky and quick so may be able to do it that way. Cannot wait to see him, Darcy and Naughts in 3 years time just cutting teams apart.
    I think King said that should be Marra's aim and while it's a lofty target in time it could be very achievable. Unlocking Marra's talent is something Spangher will need to work on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

21. Likes DadBod, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why people would knock David King, he is one of the few analysts in the industry that actually does research. Sure he may not get it right all the time but I agree with Kingy it's something he can aspire to as a player.

I like the Jack Gunston link also and that's why I come on woof because there are plenty of good discussions/suggestions also. I just think its too easy to bag everyone in the media all the time.

23. Likes azabob, chef liked this post