Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  135
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixture 2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixture 2023

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Decent option but I wonder if the supporters wanted State of Origin more?
    An extra round might not be a bad thing.
    Origin would be cool if it was just those who had retired in the past couple of years. I don’t want our guns playing when they could be resting!

I like the magic round concept. Reckon it’ll be a hit. A double header where the first is GWS v North followed by Crows v Pies would get massive crowds all day. With not much thought, they can make it a real success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    The idea of Bontempelli blowing out a knee in a pointless dick swinging contest makes we wake up screaming like I'm back over there.
    The players and supporters love it in the NRL with the view that the bigger game exposure is good for some of the players.
    It's interesting that many people in the AFL look at the negatives of what might happen in a game and that overrules any positives.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The players and supporters love it in the NRL with the view that the bigger game exposure is good for some of the players.
    It's interesting that many people in the AFL look at the negatives of what might happen in a game and that overrules any positives.
    The idea of Bontempelli blowing out a knee in a pointless dick swinging contest makes we wake up screaming like I'm back over there.
    I can't stress this enough.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

The next time the Dogs get a schedule in a season where we are set to play Gold Coast and Brisbane in Queensland I'd love for us to look to make it a massive event and lobby to have it over two consecutive weekends aligned with say Vic School Hols deep in winter.

Our club marketing and membership team might then look to work with businesses and sponsors to construct travel and holiday packages in and around SE Qld for members. A week-long holiday in Qld in the middle of winter, say Term 2 school hols, bookended by two Bulldog's matches might be an attractive proposition for many Doggie's supporters and members.

Post Thanks / Like

G, I would suggest that pretty much sums at that poxy sport that SOO games ARE the highlight of their season because of the lack of crowds and passion for their home and away season. I personally never ever want to see AFL SOO ever again. From chats that I have had AFL players would much rather win a premiership than represent their home state in a game that, let's be honest means very little.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    G, I would suggest that pretty much sums at that poxy sport that SOO games ARE the highlight of their season because of the lack of crowds and passion for their home and away season. I personally never ever want to see AFL SOO ever again. From chats that I have had AFL players would much rather win a premiership than represent their home state in a game that, let's be honest means very little.
    How do we go about getting big game experiences for our players given we have trouble drawing that sort of crowd?
    I remember in the 80's Sheedy pushing his players into as many SOO games as possible because he thought it would help them prepare for finals and I think it did.
    I also went to a function where Clarkson talked about the values of pushing the Hawks players to their limits with their Kokoda hikes and he strongly believed the experience gained outweighed the risks and he was prepared to cop that.
    Wheeler had players jumping out of planes because he wanted them to take risks and to build up their self belief.

I get the risks these games pose but it's overplayed and if we never have it again so be it but could the benefits be something amazing for the players that don't get to play in front of the bigger crowds?
    A couple of years back we were regularly seeing Dunkley, Bontempelli and Naughton part timing it in the ruck and I would have thought that posed a decent level of and increased injury risk to them because they were inexperienced at it.

I just think you can always find convenient excuses not to do things.

SOO works so well for the NRL because it's also the gateway to representing the country.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

How do we go about getting big game experiences for our players given we have trouble drawing that sort of crowd?
    I remember in the 80's Sheedy pushing his players into as many SOO games as possible because he thought it would help them prepare for finals and I think it did.
    I also went to a function where Clarkson talked about the values of pushing the Hawks players to their limits with their Kokoda hikes and he strongly believed the experience gained outweighed the risks and he was prepared to cop that.
    Wheeler had players jumping out of planes because he wanted them to take risks and to build up their self belief.

I get the risks these games pose but it's overplayed and if we never have it again so be it but could the benefits be something amazing for the players that don't get to play in front of the bigger crowds?
    A couple of years back we were regularly seeing Dunkley, Bontempelli and Naughton part timing it in the ruck and I would have thought that posed a decent level of and increased injury risk to them because they were inexperienced at it.

I just think you can always find convenient excuses not to do things.

SOO works so well for the NRL because it's also the gateway to representing the country.
    Please see above as to reasons why, regardless of any valid positives you might raise, SOO is a terrible idea.

Also, I'm pretty sure most players have a "you can't surf you can't do MMA" because you're a contracted professional athlete, and I reckon a nothing game of hit and giggle would come under the same bracket.

From a pure business sense if I'm paying millions for a Thoroughbred, I'm not signing off on it frolicking in a mud pit with a bunch of donkeys.
    "It's over. It's all over."

9. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please see above as to reasons why, regardless of any valid positives you might raise, SOO is a terrible idea.

Also, I'm pretty sure most players have a "you can't surf you can't do MMA" because you're a contracted professional athlete, and I reckon a nothing game of hit and giggle would come under the same bracket.

From a pure business sense if I'm paying millions for a Thoroughbred, I'm not signing off on it frolicking in a mud pit with a bunch of donkeys.
    Totally agree.

The players also don't have their heart in it like the old days when there was a Vic comp, a SA and WA comp. Those days the players tried to prove a point, eg, WA players wanted to beat VIC and show they were good enough at that level.

NRL has a tradition that goes back a long time and they really want to play for their State and in the end it is just two states.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I could get behind a State of Origin/All Star weekend if it was a once every 5 years type of thing - build hype around it, give it some meaning but I also hate the idea of one our stars copping a major injury.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see city hall pulling in the overtime working 6am on a Sunday to release the R1 fixture. Wonder why lol

What an arrogant prick of an organisation.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Nice to see city hall pulling in the overtime working 6am on a Sunday to release the R1 fixture. Wonder why lol

Embarrassing.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

15. Likes The Bulldogs Bite, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

Hard to hate the AFEL much more. But they keep finding new ways and new lows.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes Sedat, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Embarrassing.
    It really is.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

We had a thing going with Collingwood as our opener for the season, but Melbourne sooked about having a GF rematch, and the whole Collingwood thing is shut down. Now the AFL won't have a GF rematch for next next year.

The fixture for round one was released yesterday, but really why this weekend. - idiots

20. Likes hujsh, josie liked this post