Thanks Thanks:  34
Likes Likes:  135
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fixture 2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixture 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Fear not, I'm sure our president will pull out all the stops to highlight this issue with fervent intent, and will not stop fighting on behalf of the club.
    Ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    What are Hawthorns prime time/blockbuster numbers? They won three in a row and still in didn't get any new blockbuster slots, and I would think similar amounts of prime time games to what we have had over the last few years.

The AFL doesn't care about success, just $$$. They have a historical bias towards a few Melbourne clubs and I can't see it changing, regardless of what the data (e.g. tv ratings) says.
    That's a fair argument but they were featured heavily in PT when they were successful and did boost their membership (pet) figures dramatically. I think a bit of sustained success would have really built something for us but it was not to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I wanna be mad about this but don’t really care to be honest. Playing against a truly horrible North Melbourne in “prime time” when everyone is away for the weekend anyway in a usually pretty awful game isn’t the brand building capstone it’s assumed to be.
    Bingo.

Fear not, I'm sure our president will pull out all the stops to highlight this issue with fervent intent, and will not stop fighting on behalf of the club.
    You know if I didn't know better I might mistake this for sarcasm.
    "It's over. It's all over."

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I wanna be mad about this but don’t really care to be honest. Playing against a truly horrible North Melbourne in “prime time” when everyone is away for the weekend anyway in a usually pretty awful game isn’t the brand building capstone it’s assumed to be.
    For me it's not the game itself, we all recognise it's not the biggest of the confected games (maybe a bit bigger than the farmers game) ; it's the rationale behind it or complete lack thereof.
    How much work do we need to do to get some recognition and validation it must be infuriating for the executive.
    Reeks of conservative boys club strategy and an unwillingness to ever recognise our club as being equal with the old firm.
    It goes way beyond a Good Friday game.

6. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on history bloody North should be given the boot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Had we finished a bit higher this year or better still we had won the flag in 2021 the AFL would be hard pressed to squeeze us out of anything. We are close to being a really strong club but our performances on field will dictate a lot of the attitude of where and who we play.
    We're flaky as but exciting and the AFL is not sure what to do with us.

Looking forward to playing Melbourne at the G it's what we want and what we need. The best opposition at the most important stadium .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Based on history bloody North should be given the boot
    Yes let's give North the boot!

Post Thanks / Like

AFEL to announce the full fixture on Sunday, 25 December.
    W00F!

11. Likes hujsh, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im kind of meh about Good Friday, was usually a terrible game and it steals a day off your long weekend. Hope we play interstate.

Can't wait for Carlton to be the home team next season and then they'll probs play Essendon on it the following year while the AEFL try to convince us thats its tradition.
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorta like Happy Days...I wanna be mad but I actually don't care.

You can't invent occasions and rivalries...sorry, but I just can't get 'UP' for a game vs North rn - which doesn't mean I don't think they had a lot more talent than they showed and I am expecting a pretty solid bounce from them this year.

In 1998 I wanted to play North. Now I want to play Geelong or Melbourne. Or Richmond. Not sure Geelong or Richmond need 'another' block-buster and last time we played Melbourne the crowd was absolutely terrible (but we won - thanks Jamarra - so I didn't care)....

Do I think our prez should be speaking up? Of course she should be...but ultimately I could care less if the GF game is ours!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Do I think our prez should be speaking up? Of course she should be...but ultimately I could care less if the GF game is ours!
    No doubt I am not the only one to notice, but our Prez seems to be conspicuous by her absence in all things relating to club vs AFL issues. Peter Gordon and Smorgo had much higher public profiles and were not short of media words when it came to promoting the club. Maybe Kylie operates like a swan. All peaceful and serene up top but paddling like hell underneath.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I'm sorta like Happy Days...I wanna be mad but I actually don't care.

You can't invent occasions and rivalries...sorry, but I just can't get 'UP' for a game vs North rn - which doesn't mean I don't think they had a lot more talent than they showed and I am expecting a pretty solid bounce from them this year.

In 1998 I wanted to play North. Now I want to play Geelong or Melbourne. Or Richmond. Not sure Geelong or Richmond need 'another' block-buster and last time we played Melbourne the crowd was absolutely terrible (but we won - thanks Jamarra - so I didn't care)....

I don't like games on Good Friday, or over Easter for that matter, but what pisses me off is the AFL. If you want to create a marque game then keep the same two teams so they can build on it, and that should be two of North, Bulldogs or Saints. Bringing a team that already has other marque games is what pisses off supporters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    No doubt I am not the only one to notice, but our Prez seems to be conspicuous by her absence in all things relating to club vs AFL issues. Peter Gordon and Smorgo had much higher public profiles and were not short of media words when it came to promoting the club. Maybe Kylie operates like a swan. All peaceful and serene up top but paddling like hell underneath.
    PG and Smorgo are self-made entrepreneurs who have built businesses from nothing and created something of value out of their own hard graft that didn't previously exist. KW-W is a career corporatist and globalist who has created precisely nothing of tangible value in her career. That doesn't make her incompetent (far from it - navigating the volatile corporate environments like Disney for over 25 years requires great skill, diplomacy and acumen), but it means she is incapable/unwilling to get down and dirty, when often required, in support of the club she is supposed to be the leader of. She is much better suited to the agnostic, sterile environment of City Hall than the tribal, passionate club envionment.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

PG and Smorgo are self-made entrepreneurs who have built businesses from nothing and created something of value out of their own hard graft that didn't previously exist. KW-W is a career corporatist and globalist who has created precisely nothing of tangible value in her career. That doesn't make her incompetent, but it means she is incapable/unwilling to get down and dirty, when often required, in support of the club she is supposed to be the leader of. She is much better suited to the agnostic, sterile environment of City Hall than the tribal, passionate club envionment.
    Strictly speaking PG is not a self made entrepreneur. He joined Slater and Gordon a firm that commenced in 1920s and mid size (also Peter is not related to the Gordon) back in early 80s - my wife worked in the same firm for a partner and with Peter. Yes he built his practise up and took on some big cases like Asbestos class action as well as some other high profile cases. The firm almost went broke until my wife's boss rescued them.

Due to the type of cases they took on, which Peter lead, S&G grew and grew to become a publicly listed law firm.

I agree he was entrepreneurial in the cases he took on and introduced a no win no fee concept which also helped Slaters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

PG and Smorgo are self-made entrepreneurs who have built businesses from nothing and created something of value out of their own hard graft that didn't previously exist. KW-W is a career corporatist and globalist who has created precisely nothing of tangible value in her career. That doesn't make her incompetent (far from it - navigating the volatile corporate environments like Disney for over 25 years requires great skill, diplomacy and acumen), but it means she is incapable/unwilling to get down and dirty, when often required, in support of the club she is supposed to be the leader of. She is much better suited to the agnostic, sterile environment of City Hall than the tribal, passionate club envionment.
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Strictly speaking PG is not a self made entrepreneur. He joined Slater and Gordon a firm that commenced in 1920s and mid size (also Peter is not related to the Gordon) back in early 80s - my wife worked in the same firm for a partner and with Peter. Yes he built his practise up and took on some big cases like Asbestos class action as well as some other high profile cases. The firm almost went broke until my wife's boss rescued them.

Due to the type of cases they took on, which Peter lead, S&G grew and grew to become a publicly listed law firm.

I agree he was entrepreneurial in the cases he took on and introduced a no win no fee concept which also helped Slaters.
    David was also from a VERY wealthy family and started out high up in the family business as far as I can tell. Far from self made (though the 'self made man' is a myth anyway)

20. Likes bornadog liked this post