Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  117
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs in talks to extend Luke Beveridge contract

It looks like we are going to extend Bevo's contract ...

AFL 2022: Western Bulldogs in talks to extend Luke Beveridge contract

Three AFL coaches will be in the final year of their contract next season, but the Bulldogs are hoping to end any Luke Beveridge speculation before then, reports Mark Robinson.

Luke Beveridge and the Western Bulldogs will resume talks on a contract extension when the coach returns from leave next week.

Beveridge, 52, will be in charge in 2023 – his ninth season at the helm at the Bulldogs – but both Beveridge and the club are keen to extend the partnership beyond that.

Club insiders say talks before Beveridge went on leave were positive.

The Bulldogs believe Beveridge is a strong leader and is highly respected, and they also believe Beveridge is committed to continuing at the Dogs.

Football boss Chris Grant and chief executive Ameet Bains will make the recommendation to the board to extend the premiership coach.

A timeline is not in place, but it’s possible, because of the strong interest from both sides, that a deal could be announced over the summer break.

It’s not known if a one-year or two-year offer is in the pipeline.

What is known is the Bulldogs are finalising a three-year strategic plan, which will be announced next year, which will detail everything the club is trying to achieve, which includes both the men’s and women’s football programs.

The Whitten Oval precinct is being rebuilt and is expected to be completed in early 2025.

The Beveridge signature would be a significant addition to the strategic plan.

The football program has already changed with the signing of senior assistant coach Brendon Lade, who had previously worked at Richmond, Port Adelaide and St Kilda.

The Bulldogs believe his experience will be highly valuable in the coaching program.

The Lade appointment in late September came when the club had a three-week post-season review of all football matters.

Although the Dogs made the finals, it was a disappointing season for them, and their inconsistency was on show in the elimination final when Fremantle obliterated them in the second half.

If Beveridge is not re-signed before the season starts in March, he will join Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley and Brisbane’s Chris Fagan as the coaches not contracted beyond the 2023 season.

However, the Lions have begun talks on a new deal with Fagan.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...3afb89db6e?amp

2. Thanks josie, Jasper, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs in talks to extend Luke Beveridge contract

Even though he's achieved great things at and for our club, there's still been a number of unacceptable and disappointing years, culminating with a few bouts of poor player standards/behaviours.

Two Grand Finals, one Premiership, 6? Finals appearances is impressive.

But somehow we've also underdelivered, mainly in 2017 and 2022, and have never made top four.

He's also had some run ins with various players/staff and an ongoing battle with the media.

Personally, I'd rather wait before we commit. Which sounds... Weird, given what he HAS achieved, and there's always the question of 'well who do you replace him with', but for mine, 2023 is a BIG year for the playing group as much as it is for our coaching group and administration. Bevo included. Re-signing him now kind of screams of desperation in that a club who once struggled, is afraid of life-after-Bevo. At times, I wonder if he has too much control.
    W00F!

4. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that Alastair Clarkson is under investigation and we did not previously approach him well I say fantasic, all the way with the Beveridge Bulldogs.

6. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't be doing a St.K and signing too early, I'd be waiting to see where we are tracking mid season before pulling the trigger.

After this season my confidence in Bevo has dropped to a record low, team selection and game day tactics with the inability to adapt make my hair fall out, 2022 threw up one to many red flags for me to want to pull the trigger on a contract extension for him now.

Top 4 and a prelim next season is my benchmark, an extended contract should ride on something close to that.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

8. Thanks Jasper thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, 1eyedog, Max469, ReLoad, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great move to extend Bevo, great coach, with a great record - best we have ever had.

With Lade coming in to assist, this will take some work load off Bevo and he will be able to be more effective.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Wouldn't be doing a St.K and signing too early, I'd be waiting to see where we are tracking mid season before pulling the trigger.

After this season my confidence in Bevo has dropped to a record low, team selection and game day tactics with the inability to adapt make my hair fall out, 2022 threw up one to many red flags for me to want to pull the trigger on a contract extension for him now.

Top 4 and a prelim next season is my benchmark, an extended contract should ride on something close to that.
    Bevo has been an excellent coach so I think we should extend his contract by 2 more years but you raise some valid concerns.
    Lets hope a revamped football department clears his focus and the club starts to perform in line with the talent we have.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd wait until mid next season and see how we're going, we had two great years with him at the helm, one or two solid years and then three years where we massively under performed.

Post Thanks / Like

If we are going to extend for two years, I would do it before the start of 2023 and get it out the way so everyone knows where they stand and can focus on winning games.

For every viewpoint that says he has underachieved, there is another that says, maybe we in fact overachieved.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

14. Likes azabob, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    If we are going to extend for two years, I would do it before the start of 2023 and get it out the way so everyone knows where they stand and can focus on winning games.

For every viewpoint that says he has underachieved, there is another that says, maybe we in fact overachieved.
    I'm confident it will be done well before the start of next season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

Agree, we don't need distraction during the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The timing to make a change doesn't feel right.

Personally, I'd not offer him another contract, but the wise thing to do is book him in on a minimum length now and make a longer term call at the end of 2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post

As much as he has done for us I agree there are some red flags but he was always going to be given another contract.
    Top 5 should be the benchmark and we shouldnt accept soft excuses if we dont play the sort of football to get us there.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d give him 3 years. Not sure Hunter and Stringer (who have been moved on mind you) are Bevo’s fault.

Gun coach.

22. Likes mjp, bornadog, Bulldog4life, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree, we don't need distraction during the season.
    Would be highly destabilising.

Teams would be making approaches throughout the season.

The talk is for 2-yrs too, which is appropriate to show his worth. It's not like we're locking-in another long-term deal. He has a decent list on paper to coach who should be in the window now. If he underachieves over that 2-yr period, then the Club could easily attract another coach, knowing the side is still decent.

24. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lock it in I say. If he has a bad, bad year then we spend money paying him off and getting someone else in. He will get poached - proven coach. Given there is no one remotely better available on the market why would you give the opposition a sniff.