Thanks Thanks:  35
Likes Likes:  117
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs in talks to extend Luke Beveridge contract

Being able to sack a coach and only paying out six months of the contract really takes out a lot of the risk with a longer term deal.

In effect, we could add two years to the contract and sack him even during this year and not pay out any/much more.

2. Likes aker39 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Being able to sack a coach and only paying out six months of the contract really takes out a lot of the risk with a longer term deal.

In effect, we could add two years to the contract and sack him even during this year and not pay out any/much more.
    That's only if the AFL are contributing directly to the club like StKilda and North etc so I'm not sure if we have that option but we might.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's only if the AFL are contributing directly to the club like StKilda and North etc so I'm not sure if we have that option but we might.
    Ah, didn't know that. I'd prefer us not to use it regardless as I think it is wrong but if we are staring down a multi-year payout....

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Really really still don't like the fact that we're seemingly only adding one additional coach this off season... With the huge increase to softcap you'd think we could fit another talented brain in the coaching box.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

7. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW We should have a fair idea if Beveridge is the right man to lead us forward.

I understand the rationale other personnel moves made to get resources into spots needed (e.g Lade) after we lost King and Hansen late in our buildup to 2022 - effectively putting us in a spot where we lost a lot of key people who had existing relationships with our playing group. Even when we replaced them, with new assistants, it takes time to build relationships and trust with players. I'd expect Spangher and Webb to be even better as assistants with us in year 2. I dont have reason to doubt the ability of Bevo to appoint people around him who bring their own strengths.

If we think Bevo is the right person, then I have no problem with giving him another 2 years.

I would be extremely disappointed if we then buckled to media pressure in 2023 if we dont have a great first 10 weeks etc. If we think we have the right person leading, then stay the course and back them in.

I'm backing in Bevo to be able to rennovate, restump and rewire this group. He has a track record that shows he can do this.

Yes, he hasn't historically been perceived as the hardarse that other head coaches have (e.g Clarko, Ross the Boss) but obviously there is strengths in his more relational approach - he tries to be understanding that the players arent robots but wants them to do the right things - perhaps sometimes they dont manage that responsibility well BUT generally a good team sets its own standards, and polices its own behaviours (Wheeler 90; 91; 92; 93; 94).

9. Likes bornadog, Avoid the rush liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Really really still don't like the fact that we're seemingly only adding one additional coach this off season... With the huge increase to softcap you'd think we could fit another talented brain in the coaching box.
    I guess it depends how much the 1 extra coach allows others to play to their strengths also.

Post Thanks / Like

Word on the street is a two year extension.

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got a text from the club about it
    The curse is dead.

14. Likes Grantysghost, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good move. Happy about that and provides certainty for the next few years (if results are favourable). However we need to make top 4 and contend for the flag as a minimum next year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure some will be annoyed but I think it's good to have it out of the way now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Just got a text from the club about it
    Me too.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

18. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been a harsh critic at times, but he's still our best performing coach, and as long as he's motivated and energised there's probably no better fit for our club.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you see the passion in his eyes? Got to love Bevo will go down as our best ever coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Robbo with a piece in the Herald Sun saying that he knocked back offers from rival clubs. Great news for us to extend Bevo.

22. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post