Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Ed Richards take another step in 2023 or is he at his Peak?

Richards was basically injury free in 2022 and that showed in the consistency in his game.

Can he take the next step and really dominate in the backline?

What would you like to see him do more of in 2023

Some highlights

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Ed Richards take another step in 2023 or is he at his Peak?

I'd like to see Ed simply carry his form from the last 10 or so games through a full season.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

3. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scorlibo View Post
    I'd like to see Ed simply carry his form from the last 10 or so games through a full season.
    Not the very last one where he was overwhelmed and jittery. He had a terrific year however and I think what he needs to build towards is a strengthened ability to defend and lock down, which will come with continuity and experience - he is still young.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't need to take another step, rather consolidate his strong 2022. He had a great season and he'll get the external recognition if he can back it up. Internally, I have no doubt they were pleased with his output.

He had a disappointing final which I hope will fuel him throughout preseason to set himself up for another strong year.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    He doesn't need to take another step, rather consolidate his strong 2022. He had a great season and he'll get the external recognition if he can back it up. Internally, I have no doubt they were pleased with his output.

He had a disappointing final which I hope will fuel him throughout preseason to set himself up for another strong year.
    Agreed, he doesn't need to take a step forward but it would be nice if he did. 2023 should all be about consolidating on his achievements this season. A few better games will be a big help.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It becomes more about his consistency. His good is good enough and now that he matures he just needs to develop less differential between his best and worst games. He was arguably our best defender over the course of last year.

10. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Not the very last one where he was overwhelmed and jittery. He had a terrific year however and I think what he needs to build towards is a strengthened ability to defend and lock down, which will come with continuity and experience - he is still young.

He's a fine player but dear God did he turn in a terrible final.

But I back him in. He's made if stern stuff and I reckon hell be a ok.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

It becomes more about his consistency. His good is good enough and now that he matures he just needs to develop less differential between his best and worst games. He was arguably our best defender over the course of last year.
    His ability to compete aerially and recover and win the ball at ground level is pretty unique on our team and he is a very strong body in a contest. If he can have a consistent year equal t what he did in the second half of this year (minus the final), it’ll be a massive win for us.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He's a fine player but dear God did he turn in a terrible final.

But I back him in. He's made if stern stuff and I reckon hell be a ok.
    I would like to see him not have those brain fades like the final. He did that a few times throughout the year, where he took off across the ground and ended up turning it over for a goal. However, they were rare, and he ended up having a terrific season.

What I would really like to see is Ed using his pace and running forward more, a bit like Saad.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going to be interesting to see how he responds after such a poor final. Has Bailey Williams recovered after a really poor GF? Fingers crossed Ed can because he finally cemented himself as a best 22 player last year and one who could reach the heights of an AA squad member at some point in the future.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His final was horrific and that's probably understating it. At the time I said I'm not sure I want to see him play again

He can continue to elevate but only if he does it in the big games. That final was genuinely appalling, so I hope he bounces back rather than caves.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Going to be interesting to see how he responds after such a poor final. Has Bailey Williams recovered after a really poor GF? Fingers crossed Ed can because he finally cemented himself as a best 22 player last year and one who could reach the heights of an AA squad member at some point in the future.
    I'm not basing this on anything other than my own perception but I felt like Bailey Williams wasn't as fit as he has been in the past. I wonder if he was a little heavier to hold his own against bigger forwards but that worked against him. Hopefully he can trim down knowing that he's playing on the wing.

20. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not basing this on anything other than my own perception but I felt like Bailey Williams wasn't as fit as he has been in the past. I wonder if he was a little heavier to hold his own against bigger forwards but that worked against him. Hopefully he can trim down knowing that he's playing on the wing.
    Williams is such a talented player and with Hunter going he could grab the wingers role. Richards is a gun and Id be happy if he can maintain his form from this year.
    Last edited by Stevo; 15-11-2022 at 08:32 PM.

22. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Richards could be that winger we are looking for (especially now that Hunter has moved on)?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I wonder if Richards could be that winger we are looking for (especially now that Hunter has moved on)?
    He's been tried there a few times without a lot of success. He should be able to thrive there but hasn't.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"