Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog expected to “challenge for all-australian” in 2023

BULLDOG EXPECTED TO “CHALLENGE FOR ALL-AUSTRALIAN” IN 2023

Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy is expecting Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English to join the competition’s elite next season.

While English already had a breakout season in 2022, averaging career-highs in disposals, hitouts, clearances and inside 50s, Healy expects him to go to another level.

Now with six AFL seasons under his belt, Healy thinks English can take the mantle of the league’s premier ruckman from Max Gawn and earn All-Australian honours for the first time.

“I’ve been riding this guy for years, and he’s hard to miss,” Healy said on SEN Sportsday.

“I think Tim English could challenge for the All-Australian ruck next year.

“I think his best last year was as good as anyone’s best.

“I think he should set himself his sights on, ‘Okay, I can be the number one ruckman in this competition’.”

Western Bulldogs great Brad Johnson is equally as excited about the 25-year-old as his physicality begins to marry up with the skill he’s always possessed.

“His ability to get outside of the contest was a lot better, his marking around the ground was a lot better,” Johnson said.

“He’s finally I think at a comfortable size where he feels he actually can compete with the best from a physicality point of view, he’s not pushed off the ball as often as he was the previous years.

“I agree, his movement around the ground, his ball use and his kicking ability are excellent.

“I think he’ll really push up and start to challenge Max Gawn in terms of who is the number one. He can kick goals as well.”

English now has 85 AFL games to his name since being taken in the first round of the 2016 National Draft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog expected to “challenge for all-australian” in 2023

Wasn't this article written 3 years ago and is re-released on cue every November?

He's probably the most important player on our list. If he can defy 4 years of sub-par onfield performance and raise his stoppage and tap work game against the best rucks in the competition, we automatically become a strong premiership threat. I'm not really interested in seeing him toy with clydesdales like Andrew Phillips or old draughthorses like Mumford, and then fail to lay a glove on superior ruck opponents time and again in finals.

It's well past time to be the big dog and perform like it.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Wasn't this article written 3 years ago and is re-released on cue every November?

He's probably the most important player on our list. If he can defy 4 years of sub-par onfield performance and raise his stoppage and tap work game against the best rucks in the competition, we automatically become a strong premiership threat. I'm not really interested in seeing him toy with clydesdales like Andrew Phillips or old draughthorses like Mumford, and then fail to lay a glove on superior ruck opponents time and again in finals.

It's well past time to be the big dog and perform like it.
    Time has come for Big Tim to deliver on his promise and potential. We have cut him too much slack over the last two years.
    This is his 7th preseason and it needs to be a good one and we cant keep saying he is young and ruckman develop later.

4. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Time has come for Big Tim to deliver on his promise and potential. We have cut him too much slack over the last two years.
    This is his 7th preseason and it needs to be a good one and we cant keep saying he is young and ruckman develop later.
    I’m a Tim fan, but he’s older than other ruckman who are thriving by now. He’s an absolute freak as far as skills go for his size, but if he can’t get more competitive in ruck contests when we need it, then we probably need to find him a new role.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Getting a bit of the Shaun Higgins' treatment. Articles like this worry me.

We've put our chips in with English, he needs to get fit, stay fit and deliver his best, more often than not.

7. Likes Sedat, F'scary, Dry Rot, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

25 isn't that old for a ruck to be still improving, is it? He was pretty thin when we got him. I'd fully expect him to continue to improve in 2023. He'll have a bit more ruck support too with Lobb. And that may allow him to cause more damage around the ground/up forward.

He may not (well, won't) be the best tap ruck by the end of the season, but he COULD be the best overall player in the ruck position.

9. Likes josie, Testekill, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    25 isn't that old for a ruck to be still improving, is it? He was pretty thin when we got him. I'd fully expect him to continue to improve in 2023. He'll have a bit more ruck support too with Lobb. And that may allow him to cause more damage around the ground/up forward.

He may not (well, won't) be the best tap ruck by the end of the season, but he COULD be the best overall player in the ruck position.
    Agree. That's the key.

11. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer him to be the 2023 premiership ruckman. If someone similarly athletic and flaky as Rhys Stanley could transform his game in the last 2 finals this year after being absolutely awful in the first final against Collingwood, English more than has the capability to do so.

Lobb coming in can only help. There are no excuses whatsoever - it is time to perform in finals against the best rucks in the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

25 is still young with scope to improve. I suppose for me the worry is that the timing is going to be off. We’ll get his best at the back end, or on the decline of our current generational talent. Basically, if he want to cash in on the Bont era, he needs to do it now.

14. Likes GVGjr, The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it could be Rory Lobb.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I’m a Tim fan, but he’s older than other ruckman who are thriving by now. He’s an absolute freak as far as skills go for his size, but if he can’t get more competitive in ruck contests when we need it, then we probably need to find him a new role.
    We've been patient with his development and there were some very promising signs in 2022 but after 6 full years at the club it is time for him to take another step forward. He's played 85 games and all things being equal will crack it for the 100 games mark next year.
    He wanted the number one rucks role and the responsibility that goes with that so it's his time to shine.

The expectation on him to perform will be enormous next year and I think he can make it. We can't shield him from expectations any longer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I think it could be Rory Lobb.
    I’ve said this a couple of times but I hope that we are all prepared for the point in the season where it becomes obvious that Lobb is a better straight ruckman than Tim.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’ve said this a couple of times but I hope that we are all prepared for the point in the season where it becomes obvious that Lobb is a better straight ruckman than Tim.
    At least with Lobb in the team we are nimble and flexible enough to adapt if/when this comes to pass, and English will have to adjust his game accordingly for the betterment of the team (despite having previously indicated his unwillingness to do so).

22. Likes EasternWest, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    At least with Lobb in the team we are nimble and flexible enough to adapt if/when this comes to pass, and English will have to adjust his game accordingly for the betterment of the team (despite having previously indicated his unwillingness to do so).
    I hope so. When I said “I hope we are all ready” that definitely included Tim himself.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -