Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  38
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog expected to “challenge for all-australian” in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’ve said this a couple of times but I hope that we are all prepared for the point in the season where it becomes obvious that Lobb is a better straight ruckman than Tim.
    I don't think that is feasible. Lobb is a forward who rucks, English is a ruck man who is dangerous up forward. If we somehow get this the other way around by the end of the season it won't be a great outcome for us.
    It was identified that English needs support and we have sourced a good forward who does OK in the ruck. We probably still need a ruck to cover English if he gets injured but it's unlikely.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Mofra, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lobb's ruck work isn't that great to be honest, like Tim his is much better around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Lobb's ruck work isn't that great to be honest, like Tim his is much better around the ground.
    Lobb though has made it known he doesn't like playing in the ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Lobb though has made it known he doesn't like playing in the ruck.
    He may not like the position but he looked like Simon Madden pitted against our no 1 ruck in the EF this year
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes F'scary, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think that is feasible. Lobb is a forward who rucks, English is a ruck man who is dangerous up forward. If we somehow get this the other way around by the end of the season it won't be a great outcome for us.
    It was identified that English needs support and we have sourced a good forward who does OK in the ruck. We probably still need a ruck to cover English if he gets injured but it's unlikely.
    Is it not feasible because you think English is better, or because we need him to be better?

I actually think that prior to this year Lobb’s best season was his last one at GWS where he did a substantial amount of rucking. Plus there was him bodying Tim in our most recent game when given the chance.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He does need support but he also needs to lift his output in the role he was specifically drafted for 6 years ago and has openly stated he wants to make his own. He needs to be judged by his performance as a stoppage ruckman against the better opponents in the competition and especially in big games, and to put it bluntly he has failed badly on that key metric in the last few years.

He simply has to get much better as a stoppage ruckman, and right now. He demanded the role and the responsibility, and we need to demand consistency, excellence and resilience from him. It is absolutely critical to our future fortunes in the Bont era that he improves his ruck craft and his competitiveness as a stoppage ruckman.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes GVGjr, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Disagree. Lobb is a ruck who reinvented himself as a deep marking forward. English is more the deep marking forward who has been expected to reinvent himself as a ruck.

But it is all good as they can take turns in the ruck!!!

AA ruck duo!!!
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Disagree. Lobb is a ruck who reinvented himself as a deep marking forward. English is more the deep marking forward who has been expected to reinvent himself as a ruck.

But it is all good as they can take turns in the ruck!!!

AA ruck duo!!!
    Well where he started and where he ends up playing will be different now. His preference is to play forward and help out in the ruck much like it was for Tom Boyd. English wants to be the number one ruckman for us us. I'm sure both of them are more than willing to change things up but over the course of the season they will want to be played in what they believe is their best position.
    The challenge for the club is to get improvement in the areas English needs to improve in.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Sedat, Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well where he started and where he ends up playing will be different now. His preference is to play forward and help out in the ruck much like it was for Tom Boyd. English wants to be the number one ruckman for us us. I'm sure both of them are more than willing to change things up but over the course of the season they will want to be played in what they believe is their best position.
    The challenge for the club is to get improvement in the areas English needs to improve in.
    50/50 could be the right mix for the two.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

The 2016 draft, in hindsight, was outstanding for rucks.

19 - Tim English
    38 - Sean Darcy
    48 - Darcy Cameron
    R1 - Sam Draper
    R9 - Peter Ladhams
    R10 - Rowan Marshall
    R37 - Oscar McInerney
    R51 - Max Lynch

Notable was the 5th round too - Larkey & Mitchell as some of the few non-first round KPFs in recent memory to play well as the no 1 man.

Now I love what Timmy brings... but as good as he could be, the argument against taking rucks in the first round of the draft still stacks up.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers