Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
Gill wants a stadium with a roof on. Not worth spending money on a roofed stadium with a capacity of only 22k

I tend to agree with Dog God, the population is just not there in Tassie to warrant a team.
Then why have they been going through this again and again for a few years now?
Dunedin in NZ has an multi purpose indoor stadium and a population of about 130K albeit the roof isn't retractable.
When it was originally built it had a capacity of 20K but they planned that it could be reconfigured to 30K which they currently can configure for concerts etc. This is what they could do in Hobart and configure it for 22K with and be able to reconfigure it later.
AFL is a vastly bigger playing surface but I think something similar could suffice.
I think the bigger challenge for TAS is the distance between Hobart and Launceston. If it was a comfortable 45 minute train ride or drive the combined population would be more than sufficient. The population is there but perhaps a question on if people want to go and watch games there.

Neglecting the AFL state competition has eroded peoples love of the AFL game but I do think it could be recaptured because the Jack Jumpers have done well.