Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  137
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL reaches in-principle agreement with Tasmania for 19th team

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Gill wants a stadium with a roof on. Not worth spending money on a roofed stadium with a capacity of only 22k

I tend to agree with Dog God, the population is just not there in Tassie to warrant a team.
    Then why have they been going through this again and again for a few years now?
    Dunedin in NZ has an multi purpose indoor stadium and a population of about 130K albeit the roof isn't retractable.
    When it was originally built it had a capacity of 20K but they planned that it could be reconfigured to 30K which they currently can configure for concerts etc. This is what they could do in Hobart and configure it for 22K with and be able to reconfigure it later.
    AFL is a vastly bigger playing surface but I think something similar could suffice.
    I think the bigger challenge for TAS is the distance between Hobart and Launceston. If it was a comfortable 45 minute train ride or drive the combined population would be more than sufficient. The population is there but perhaps a question on if people want to go and watch games there.

Neglecting the AFL state competition has eroded peoples love of the AFL game but I do think it could be recaptured because the Jack Jumpers have done well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    The arrival of North Melbourne and Hawthorn with Tasmanian State Government sponsorship of $20 million dollars has effectively killed off the quality and interest in its local 3 major competitions.
    We shouldn’t forget Tassie’s amazing number of quality players that have gone on to play with other League Clubs.
    These include Royce Hart, Peter Hudson, Daryl Baldock, Ian Stewart, Brent Crosswell, Steve and Rod McPherson,
    Scratcher Neal, Colin Robertson, John Greening, John Bonney, Barry Lawrence and many others. It is going to take enormous dollars as the AFL hasl done with GCS and GWS to become competitive coupled with a huge input of good players from other League Clubs to make it competitive. It will be a monumental task. In fairness it should have happened years ago at the expense of Gold Coast Suns and GWS,
    but thanks to the almighty dollars from National TV rights it required the AFL to have 2 Clubs in both Sydney and Queensland.
    That’s true but those players did not all play at the same time they simply do not have the population to sustain a AFL list on their own and will definitely need to draft Vics, SA, WA talent
    Wheteher they deserve it is another question

3. Likes bornadog, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Neglecting the AFL state competition has eroded peoples love of the AFL game but I do think it could be recaptured because the Jack Jumpers have done well.
    Let's see what happens if they sit near the bottom of the table for a few seasons...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Leaks/rumours being reported that the Federal Budget may have very sizeable lump sum to help build the Tasmania stadium, and thus Tasmania getting their licence.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Gee we (Australian governments of all persuasions) love to throw money at non essential stadiums.

7. Likes Jasper, lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Leaks/rumours being reported that the Federal Budget may have very sizeable lump sum to help build the Tasmania stadium, and thus Tasmania getting their licence.
    Makes a mockery of tightening the fiscal belt but hey it gives Gil his legacy that hes after.
    Doing my best to use emojis more frequently

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Gee we (Australian governments of all persuasions) love to throw money at non essential stadiums.
    Maybe people can live in it during the week.

Hate it.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

11. Likes Sedat, DOG GOD, Daughter of the West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I hope you're not casting aspersions at "Regional Pissant Pork-Barrell Toy Ground with No Wings" Park. Stage 6 is coming along beautifully

Tasmania at least is a full state, not some isolated regional marginal electorate, and being a brand new stadium it will at least provide an incremental asset to the entire community that didn't previously exist, and not be just some plaything for AFEL. But gee there are incredible amounts of tax-payer funds every year by all 'shades' of politics (they are all the same shade of turd IMO) thrown at organisations that are already filthy rich. Begs the question why we all bother paying tax when we don't get any say as to where our money is spent. Kerry Packer might have been a ruthless, greedy businessman but he was bang-on the money when he told Senate Estimates all those years ago that every Australian should tax-minimise as much as possible because the money is only wasted by those in charge.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I hope you're not casting aspersions at "Regional Pissant Pork-Barrell Toy Ground with No Wings" Park. Stage 6 is coming along beautifully

Tasmania at least is a full state, not some isolated regional marginal electorate, and being a brand new stadium it will at least provide an incremental asset to the entire community that didn't previously exist, and not be just some plaything for AFEL. But gee there are incredible amounts of tax-payer funds every year by all 'shades' of politics (they are all the same shade of turd IMO) thrown at organisations that are already filthy rich. Begs the question why we all bother paying tax when we don't get any say as to where our money is spent. Kerry Packer might have been a ruthless, greedy businessman but he was bang-on the money when he told Senate Estimates all those years ago that every Australian should tax-minimise as much as possible because the money is only wasted by those in charge.
    We should Steel ourselves for more fun times ahead

14. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sedat as a 25 year Federal Government employee...

How dare you

I reckon I've got enough stories of wasted tax payer money to actually literally for surelynessley make your head implode.

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how it will play out in Tassie because of the North/South situation. I just hope if all goes ahead and a new stadium and team come on board that all Tasmanians embrace it, otherwise it will fail.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

An extra team is the last thing the comp needs.

They should move gold coast down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    An extra team is the last thing the comp needs.

They should move gold coast down there.
    or Hawthorn
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Sedat as a 25 year Federal Government employee...

How dare you

I reckon I've got enough stories of wasted tax payer money to actually literally for surelynessley make your head implode.
    How very dare he.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure how it will play out in Tassie because of the North/South situation. I just hope if all goes ahead and a new stadium and team come on board that all Tasmanians embrace it, otherwise it will fail.
    And this is the thing Bornadog. I live in Launceston and I could not be bothered driving 2.5 hours to Hobart to watch Tassie vs Freo with 12,000 others in a stadium that’s half full. I’ve spoken to friends about this and they all agree with me. It’s a complete waste of money, and the last thing the AFL needs is another team to thin the talent pool out even more, where very mediocre VFL/league players are going to be on AFL lists just to fill them. I’m expecting Tassie draft concessions to be that of GWS where they get 7 of the top 10 picks for their first 3 years or so.

Yes, people have got onboard the Jack jumpers and crowds have been good, but it’s a basketball court. A bit different to an AFL stadium.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

22. Likes bornadog, lemmon liked this post