Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  137
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL reaches in-principle agreement with Tasmania for 19th team

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-...dium/102333446

Not a great endorsement. Have to imagine if the MPs quit the party there’s a fair amount of feedback from the public they need to be seen to react to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-...dium/102333446

Not a great endorsement. Have to imagine if the MPs quit the party there’s a fair amount of feedback from the public they need to be seen to react to
    Add to that that the opposition won't back the new stadium (politically speaking they'd be mad to right now) and all of a sudden a Tasmanian team is no longer a sure thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Add to that that the opposition won't back the new stadium (politically speaking they'd be mad to right now) and all of a sudden a Tasmanian team is no longer a sure thing.
    I think Gil mentioned that there was a chance the ground wouldn't be completed before 2028, and seeing how long projects and road works take in Victoria I'd say that is a real chance, so he more or less indicated that year one might be out of UTAS stadium.
    That would be a huge mistake and essentially it would be working temporary or disjointed facilities.
    Tend to agree that there is a lot more to play out before this becomes a sure thing.

It's a massive infrastructure investment in Tas and it will be huge for the economy etc but it currently hasn't won over enough of the public down there.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think Gil mentioned that there was a chance the ground wouldn't be completed before 2028, and seeing how long projects and road works take in Victoria I'd say that is a real chance, so he more or less indicated that year one might be out of UTAS stadium.
    That would be a huge mistake and essentially it would be working temporary or disjointed facilities.
    Tend to agree that there is a lot more to play out before this becomes a sure thing.

It's a massive infrastructure investment in Tas and it will be huge for the economy etc but it currently hasn't won over enough of the public down there.
    There has been no business case revealed to justify the expense.
    Even the MPs that have defected have stated that a transparent view can get them onboard.
    I believe that view is shared by a large part of the Tasmanian population
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    There has been no business case revealed to justify the expense.
    Even the MPs that have defected have stated that a transparent view can get them onboard.
    I believe that view is shared by a large part of the Tasmanian population
    I wonder how the very likely risk of a massive cost blow out has shaped peoples views down there? Given there is also a lack of transparency no wonder people as skeptical. A 700M cost projection will be more likely 1.2B.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wonder how the very likely risk of a massive cost blow out has shaped peoples views down there? Given there is also a lack of transparency no wonder people as skeptical. A 700M cost projection will be more likely 1.2B.
    Particularly if any blowout becomes the sole responsibility of Tasmanian taxpayers
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured