Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  137
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL reaches in-principle agreement with Tasmania for 19th team

Has anyone asked indigenous people whether they're cool with white establishment institutions appropriating indigenous names for things?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Has anyone asked indigenous people whether they're cool with white establishment institutions appropriating indigenous names for things?
    You would really hope so.

Post Thanks / Like

Gil speaks to lots of indigenous people and he says they all say it's the best thing to ever happen

4. Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLPA PRESIDENT DANGERFIELD BACKS RULE FOR TASSIE TO RECRUIT CONTRACTED PLAYERS

Geelong superstar and AFLPA President Patrick Dangerfield believes the newly announced Tasmanian team should have access to contracted players from rival clubs ahead of their inaugural 2028 season.

To have Tasmania competitive straight away, Dangerfield believes the new franchise should be able to recruit one player from every club - no matter their contract status - if they choose to join the AFL?s 19th side.

On top of draft concessions, Dangerfield feels a move like this would allow the AFL to build up their new club properly.

?My view is that the Tasmanian team should have access to contracted players,? Dangerfield told SEN Mornings.

?One from every club, regardless of contract, if they choose to join Tasmania, then they should be able to do that.

?Whether there's a mechanism for reimbursement to those clubs, I'm not really sure. I don't think it really makes much sense (to do that).

?I think if we're going to do this and do this properly, then Tasmania should have access to not only the best talent, but the best possible people in order to create something that's truly unique and truly special.

?Quite clearly generating a really strong culture is part of that.

?So I think having the ability to choose whoever you like, regardless of contract status would be a really important part of that.?

When asked whether clubs should receive any kind of protection for losing contracted players to Tasmania, Dangerfield believes that should come by simply creating a strong enough environment ahead of 2028 so that none of your players want to leave their current clubs to join the new franchise.

?Your level of protection is providing an environment for your players that they don't want to leave,? Dangerfield said.

?So I think what it does is promote clubs to provide the best possible environment, so they don't want to leave because the environment they're in is successful.

?I think it generates competition with the existing clubs to provide a great framework for their players to enjoy and not want to leave.

?That is what I would say would make sense.?

With critics of the 19th side suggesting there?s not enough talent at the top level to support a new club, Dangerfield believes the AFL doesn?t need to add more players than the amount that are currently listed by clubs.

The AFLPA President believes the competition should instead cut list sizes to allow the talent level to stay the same with clubs potentially having access to VFL, SANFL or WAFL players instead.

?I think you probably keep it the same (the overall number of AFL players),? Dangerfield said.

?What you might do is reduce (list sizes) from every club in order to try and maintain that talent pool ? it can get shallow towards the end.

?I think it probably makes sense, but then you've got to look at the levers of players being able to come from the SANFL, from the WAFL, from the VFL from the clubs that you are aligned to in that second-tier competition.

?There are huge opportunities to look at the way that the game is structured currently.?

The AFL is yet to announce what draft concessions and player recruitment policies the new side will have access to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

More like Patrick Dumberfield amiright

7. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's a whole field of dumb right there.

But I couldn't help but just agree with everything the great man was saying. They should give him an advisory role to the new CEO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    What an absolute goose!
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

First signing for Tassie can be Sam De Koning then, fresh off signing a 99 year contract with the cats.

Post Thanks / Like

He's thinking of his future.

Lots of job opportunities for Danger.

Contracted player from each club what a flog... With no reimbursement!

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting if they go the Gold Coast route (try to bring in good players in their prime to improve on field fortunes, trade some high picks) or the GWS route (stockpile high picks, bring in older heads to help build culture).

Could the free agent compo come out of their allocated extra picks?

Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely hope so. My suggestion is coming from a white background, so would definitely need further consultation to check that the words are even correct!

But I've made the point elsewhere that other countries are great at incorporating their first nations languages into everyday life (e.g. Wales, NZ) and we should be doing a lot more on this front, lead by our first nations people.

14. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not least of all one with an active track record of jibbing it every time they're asked to exercise leadership and accountability by its Indigenous cohort.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I mean they are good footballers but why do we care if Corey and Chad Warner dont want Tassie to use the Devils logo?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I mean they are good footballers but why do we care if Corey and Chad Warner dont want Tassie to use the Devils logo?
    I'm hanging around for Candice's opinion on it more than anyone else's.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hanging around for Candice's opinion on it more than anyone else's.
    As long as it's on an LG plasthmavision it's ok.

19. Likes jeemak liked this post