Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  101
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Kennel - Charlie Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    His reaction to getting drafted is elite…. Check out the WB socials.
    Gold!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    His reaction to getting drafted is elite…. Check out the WB socials.
    https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/...yVM2te8mQ&s=19

Awesome.

3. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes kruder, josie, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

where does that photo come from BAD?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Love his story too. Grew up in community housing, works on a building site - feels like a blue-collar kid who hasn't had it given to him.

Sounds like a proper Bulldogs forward pocket to me.

8. Thanks hujsh, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes F'scary, Sedat, jeemak, KT31, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post

He and Cody will be getting a lot of frees next year from their opponents getting sucked in.
    While he kicked some nifty goals, I was impressed with some selfless passing to team mates in a better position.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

10. Likes Raw Toast, Testekill, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Looks a lot more developed than a school boy. Bring on 2023!
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

From the highlights he has good balance and keeps his footing. Welcome to the club and hopes he blossoms and grows into the small forward we need

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Love his story too. Grew up in community housing, works on a building site - feels like a blue-collar kid who hasn't had it given to him.

Sounds like a proper Bulldogs forward pocket to me.
    Alright you sold me

14. Likes F'scary, EasternWest, immortalmike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    From the highlights he has good balance and keeps his footing. Welcome to the club and hopes he blossoms and grows into the small forward we need
    He will take his shots too. He won't be a pass it off player because of nerves if he is within range. He's a decent decision maker.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes F'scary, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    From the clip he looks very hard to tackle too. Has a shimmy, very strong through the hips, good evasiveness and body positioning. Good string to his bow.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes Dry Rot, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Think he'll become a fan favourite pretty quickly.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    where does that photo come from BAD?
    Clubs Twitter page
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't knock this kids speed, he has it, any questions on it are unwarranted imo.

Great pick up, his gonna be our Toby Greene, a real prick that the oppo players and supporters are gonna hate. Between him and Weightman we have two very annoying and great kicks in the 50.

Welcome to the club mate.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

GOOD MORNING!

AFL Draft 2022: Charlie Clarke on his Toby Greene-like energy, dropping out of school and living in housing commission

THEAUSTRALIAN.COM.AU
    By DAN BATTEN
    DIGITAL SPORTS REPORTER

10:16AM NOVEMBER 7, 2022

Charlie Clarke knows he is a serial pest on the field, but he doesn’t care.

The livewire draft prospect, who channels the energy and in-your-face attitude of Toby Greene and Tom Papley, openly admits to employing tactics to get under his opponent’s skin.

“Most people I played against don’t like me and I don’t blame them. I’m quite frustrating,” Clarke told the Herald Sun.

“I like to blow in their ear and touch them and be real annoying, but that’s just what I do and it gets in their head and it works for me.”

In the national championships finale in September, Clarke was given close attention by tackling machine Hugh Bond. He kept him to five disposals, but Clarke kicked two goals and “milked” a free kick which set up another.

“He was pushing me over and I tried to milk a free kick and I ended up getting one. I think I got the better of that and then we got the win, so I definitely got the better of him that day,” he said.

While it is these aspects that could see him polarise opposition fans at the next level – think Toby Greene and Jack Ginnivan – his lively goal celebrations, on-field energy and miraculous goal sense will ensure he is loved by his own supporters.

The 182cm forward had an exciting highlight reel in his 29-goal NAB League season — with plenty of big celebrations — for the premiership-winning Sandringham Dragons, including a strong finish to the season where he slotted 10 majors across the finals series.

“I usually just wing it (with celebrations) and whatever I’m feeling, turn to the crowd and give them a little something,” Clarke said with a smile.

“I like putting a smile on peoples’ faces and getting up and about. The energy – it’s me, it’s who I am. I think that’s what excites people about me, the way I play and the character I bring.”

Clarke grew up in Port Melbourne public housing in his early adolescence with his mother Emma-Lee and sister Matilda.

He cherishes the memories of sporting battles out the front with his friends in the tight-knit community.

“I think (growing up in community housing) has played a huge part in my life. Especially with all the sport and the activities out in front,” Clarke said.

“It’s created the character in me, the person I am today and the love of sport I have. It’s brought that out in me, so it’s been a positive.”

“It was just my living circumstances at the time. I had an unreal childhood, I made so many friends and as I said we were either playing cricket or mini-soccer out the front, it was unreal. Couldn’t have asked for anything better.”

Those temporary living circumstances in his early adolescence were brought about by his parents’ break-up.

Clarke’s mother and father, Jason are now back together and have been for the best part of a decade.

He said they had been a great support along his football journey.

“My mum and dad run a transport company, they have tandem trucks and they just run them and they’re very influential in my footy. My dad was a gun local footballer and he has a good knowledge of football and a very good footy brain,” he said.

DROPPING OUT

Clarke also grew up in and around the Port Melbourne Colts changerooms with his father, Jason, a club legend as a player and a coach.

He has fond memories of watching his dad kick bags of goals in the local leagues, the highlights being a 95-goal season later in his career and his six-straight grand finals and two premierships with Port as coach.

Jason, who joked Clarke’s on-field flamboyancy was “hereditary”, has helped Clarke take the next step in his football journey with his loving – yet firm – advice.

“He’s got a great footy mind and he was a gun goalkicker. I watched him kick 16 one day against Glen Ordan when I was only eight or nine, and we were just loving it going off our heads,” Clarke said with a smile.

But the thing that proved most decisive in Clarke’s footballing career was his call to drop out of school at the end of Year 9 and move to Harvester Technical College in Sunshine the following year.

At 15, Clarke had been cut from the St Kilda Academy – for prospects in their zone – and he had been given some home truths: he was one of the most talented kids there, but his attitude wasn’t great.

While Clarke had to catch a train and a bus to school each day to attend trade school, the change improved his wellbeing and it translated to his performances on-field.

When Covid restrictions limited his ability to attend the trade school, Clarke was offered a carpentry apprenticeship with a friend of his uncle – until the beginning of the year when footy took hold.

The career move had an unexpected bonus: the son of his boss is 5000m Olympian Sam McEntee, who competed at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

McEntee, who boasts the fourth fastest time at Melbourne’s The Tan track, helped Clarke shave more than a minute off his 2km time trial time from last year’s pre-season through his training with the youngster.

Jason is confident that his son’s early experience on the job will give him the motivation and grit to thrive at AFL level.

“I’ve got no doubt, especially being on the tools in the worksite and seeing how hard it can be. Working on 35, 38 degree days and digging holes and stuff like that, I think that is going to hold him in good stead too,” Jason said.

“I’d rather be out here doing an AFL pre-season playing in front of crowds’ – I think if you can do that for the next 10-15 years, that’s motivation in itself.”