Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

2023 Indicative List Balance

Making some assumptions about where players play:

KPD: Jones, Keath, *Bruce, Gardner, Busslinger

Third Tall Types: O’Brien, Khamis, Raak, Cleary

Sml/Mid Defs: Dale, Daniel, Richards, Williams, Duryea, Crozier, Gallagher (JJ, VDM)

Top Shelf Mids: Bonts, Macrae, Libba, Treloar, Smith

Rucks: English, Sweet with support from Lobb & Darcy

Wings: Scott, Roarke, Baker (JJ, VDM)

Mids/HFF: McLean, West, Garcia, McComb, A. Jones

Small forwards: Weightman, Clarke, McNeil

Mid Forward: Hannan, Bendendo

KPF: Naughton, Marra, Lobb, Darcy, *Bruce

*Rookie Pick 11

2023 Draft Picks:

Round 1
    Round 1
    Round 2
    Round 4
    Round 4
    Round 4

2024 Future Picks all readable

$1M+ Salary Cap Space
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2023 Indicative List Balance

It looks a fairly flexible playing list with multiple players able to fill in with other roles.
    Baker coming in will add some insurance as well.

Where do you see a need BT?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very well balanced to me. Genuine quality among the main areas. The wings are lighter on, medium forwards too, hoping the 3rd tall defenders come on strong. But overall, the balance looks good.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It looks a fairly flexible playing list with multiple players able to fill in with other roles.
    Baker coming in will add some insurance as well.

Where do you see a need BT?
    The wings don’t have a star. Hopefully we can move things around. If TOB & Buku can perform well this year, defence looks ok if Jones & Keath hold up. Our best mid forward is Hannan, who admittedly I’ve never been a fan of. But with three very good KPF’s and looking like two very good smalls. Perhaps that is not an issue.

As you say, while the balance is good. There’s a lot of magnets on the board that can get thrown around. So Bevo will be happy and without excuses to have a good season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The wings don’t have a star. Hopefully we can move things around. If TOB & Buku can perform well this year, defence looks ok if Jones & Keath hold up. Our best mid forward is Hannan, who admittedly I’ve never been a fan of. But with three very good KPF’s and looking like two very good smalls. Perhaps that is not an issue.

As you say, while the balance is good. There’s a lot of magnets on the board that can get thrown around. So Bevo will be happy and without excuses to have a good season.
    The wings look light on, but you could also move almost any of the half backs there and likely improve the position.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    The wings look light on, but you could also move almost any of the half backs there and likely improve the position.
    Bang on. My hope was Dale, but as he turned up to give a defender (Buss) his jumper in draft night maybe he’s staying down back. Caleb Daniel to the wing makes it look a shitload better and then shove JJ & VDM back to their natural positions off HBF and let them fight for a spot.

9. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have hopes Bedendo will make it, skilful, well balanced and pretty quick, could he be tried on the wing? I think he is a better longer term prospect as a medium tall forward or wing than a few others we have on list. Needed to find more of ball from vfl games I went to but to my eye looked promising including good marking ability and decent kick including for goal.

11. Likes bornadog, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume Baker is targeted for wing potential.
    I still think only two 'genuine' rucks - English and Sweet - is really light and doesn't provide much redundancy in the event of injury
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes Jasper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel better that Jones is in the backline and wonder if this reduces the reliance somewhat on Richards to provide that extra man up. I know he defends really well but could we move Richards onto a wing in 2023? I love when Richards has space he eats it up quickly and perhaps a move up the ground will break the shackles a bit and bring out his naturally attacking style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I assume Baker is targeted for wing potential.
    I still think only two 'genuine' rucks - English and Sweet - is really light and doesn't provide much redundancy in the event of injury
    I agree it's a big risk and while Lobb gives us a bit of support in that area I wouldn't want to see him as our first ruck man for an extended period. We shouldn't use the lack of a ruck man as an excuse if an injury occurs given we are choosing to go into the season with just 2 of them. The list is big enough to carry an established or an emerging ruckman given we see ourselves as a finals contender.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"