Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our early draft picks

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    So no difference.
    Well may you jest but the performance of the Bulldogs make a huge difference in my demeanour.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Just based on the 2022 ladder as indicative, our natural 2023 picks are:

11, 15, 33, 65, 68, 72

Plus $1M++ in salary cap. Not just the $650,000 Dunkley didn’t accept, or even if we’re paying/saving $350,000 on Hunter going, but Keath, Crozier, Bruce & Hannan are unlike to either be on the list or paid the ‘overs’ of their current contract to get them from their old clubs. Plus delisting savings. While some extensions will draw extra out of the cap. But ‘banking‘ the 2023 $650,000 and rolling it forward with the temporary ongoing hole of $650,000 plus huge savings is a huge asset for Sam Power to go buy some talent. (Not counting if there’s trades out with salary savings either)

FA’s: McKay, Himmelberg, Menegoa, Parish, Fiorini, Gresham

Also, we asked of Brisbane players. We made it clear to them, we rated them and wanted them. Brisbane wouldn’t budge. If those guys for any reason want to move next year, they know they have a club that rates them. And will trade in good faith for them.

With the Dunkley compo being Pick 21, F1 & F2 (upgraded) and the huge salary cap space (likely banked), I think we need to look at the two years of list management together for comprehensive analysis.

Hypothetically, say next year we use three spots (a FA, a trade and a F1 pick) say we get a good free agent, a round one pick trade player and a round one draftee. Now let’s say we use the F2 pick at draft and dream big and think Croft is a later pick (or NGA) and the late points mop him up.

Of the main three AFEL quality players say two are first round quality mids and a first round quality KPD. Then we’ve stocked up the midfield with two very good mids (one fresh, one mature) a KPD to cover our aging KPD stocks, gone best available in Round 2 and in the Croft scenario picked up another KPP to develop.

Plus we can trade various 2024 ND Picks too if aggressiveness is the order of the day.

For ease of reading I’ll pick names: McKay/Himmelberg, Cam Rayner (inc. future pick added) & R1 draftee (or similar quality players)

Over two years that’s:

KPD: Jones, Busslinger, McKay/Himmelberg
    Mids: Rayner, R1 Draftee
    Flanks/wing: Baker, Gallagher, R2 (always need a flanker)
    KPF: Lobb, Croft or like his dad go into defence
    SF: Clarke

(1 x 2023 spot still open)

I have no doubt we can and will re-stock our mids and address other areas at the same time. We can put as many as THREE First Rounders on the draft/trade table (2 x 2023 plus F1 in 2024) in addition to Free Agency. With the cash to try to get good players out of their clubs. The test I think is a good-to-very good season where outside talent sees a premiership soon. We have the tools to succeed in 2023. This time next year, if we can use our picks and cash well we will be even stronger again.

The more I think on Dunkley, the more it feels like a Chris Judd kind of trade. Let Brisbane chase the flag with the new gun midfielder, but we’ve got Charlie Clarke, a F1 (say to pursue a good mid even attacking a future pick to it) and a F2 with $650,000 banked this year from Dunkley (plus say $350,000+ from Hunter) to roll over and the space ongoing after 2023 for reallocation. If we can execute the right trades/free agency (with cash) from the picks and cash left then our window looks better in the medium term, like WCE’s after Judd left.

Don’t lose any sleep, things look very good. Good mids and good players are coming in 10-12 months.

Edit: Hunter salary savings not added in which make the salary cap space huuuge. Even if we paid half for 2023.

On picks: Using both 2023 & 2024 First, then it’s something like a Taranto type mid gun (Brisbane 2023 First & F1), draft without first and buy the best Free Agent possible. Addressing midfield and a KPD ideally.

Still leaving the 2023 Second, 3 x Fourths, and 2024 F2, F3 & F4. So plenty of draft picks too.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 09-12-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, azabob, F'scary, macca, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Nice post.

We've done well - no doubt helped by the access to Jamarra and Darcy. BUT - I am concerned at the amount of draft capital we have given up to get those two players and think there is a bit of a void in that u21 part of our list...basically we haven't brought in any players in 2020/2021, Butler already delisted from 2019 draft and Gardner a mature recruit in that same year (mid season).

I don't know. I just wish we had 2-3 more young runners on the list. Jones still seems 2 years away (we knew that when we picked him), Bedendo a pick 50 roll of the dice and this year when we had the chance to pick a runner we chose Clarke at 24...I don't mind it I guess but there were mids and running half-backs on the board...who takes Clarke if we didn't??
    I read somewhere Collingwood were all over Clarke at their pick 19 I think but Allan fell into their lap.

5. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I read somewhere Collingwood were all over Clarke at their pick 19 I think but Allan fell into their lap.
    Already with Clarke you get a gauge that he's a real character. Someone that if he's footy output can match it will become a super fan fav... Kinda similar to old boy Jakey Stringer... Just with a bit more luck he performs more regularly, holds a grab using his hands and doesn't create all the off field sheet.

7. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All 4 players from the 2016 National Draft are still on senior lists. One has worked his way back on but 3 of them are playing for other sides.

English, Lipinski, Young and Greene.

Its a fair draft effort.

9. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dogs 24/7 View Post
    All 4 players from the 2016 National Draft are still on senior lists. One has worked his way back on but 3 of them are playing for other sides.

English, Lipinski, Young and Greene.

Its a fair draft effort.
    Good stat.