Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2. Thanks azabob, F'scary, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West with Bont & co in U.S.ofA.

I’ve seen plenty of social photos, after the breakup, now looking even greater, by the beach, arm around a new guy whose replaced you, and with the ‘revenge is living my best life’ look and I’m happier now vibe.

But damn! You didn’t mean anything Josh.

A580FA95-8DEF-4805-841A-19FFC33A1ABD.jpg
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes azabob, bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing Westy make big strides in 2023. Opportunity is there and it is all up to him in the end.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

West is a bloody competitive kid and fitness was the big thing holding him back. I think he's capable of replacing Dunkley despite being much smaller.

7. Likes lemmon, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be great to see take his game to another level again in 2023.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He improved a lot last season and it would appear still has upside. Can't fault that he's putting in the work and it's great that he sees there's an opportunity and is trying to grasp it.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    West is a bloody competitive kid and fitness was the big thing holding him back. I think he's capable of replacing Dunkley despite being much smaller.
    Yep, fitness. Dunkley is very fit and can go all game, all season.

In terms of the purely inside game: yes, Dunkley is a big bastard. But West is still a good, compact size and uses his low centre of gravity to go in close to the ground and hard to get the ball out. Like Dunkley, he displays no fear of heavy contact. His handling of the ball is just as assured.

It is the outside game that gives West a compensating point of difference. He is faster and a better kick on the preferred and especially on the non-preferred. Dunkley is almost completely one-sided as a kicker and it was his Achilles Heel.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

13. Likes azabob, Testekill, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really like West - think he could become a bit of a cult hero this year with his attack on the footy, competitiveness and pedigree.

Looking forward to West, Garcia and McNeil upping their midfield minutes - think they've been plugged into spots that they aren't necessarily natural in and could flourish moving into more natural positions.

15. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked this:

“We’ve had a bit of change around the footy club at the end of this year, so hopefully this builds closer relationships and we can have a stable group that brings everyone together and helps team chemistry.”

But also didn't like it......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to see Westy fill the void left by Dunks. Apart from the size and fitness factors, West has him covered skill wise. One area that will be hard to replace Dunkley is his gut running. Running when the tank is empty.

Seeing West join The Bont on one of these trips is a good sign. Marra spent last summer with Bont and his fitness improved quite a bit to the point where he was getting regular games and keeping his spot. Hopefully West gets some good gains from the trip.

I'd also like to see Treloar slip into the vacancy left by Dunkley. Treloar was ranked in the top 10 players in the comp when he was at the pies but hasn't reached those heights with us mainly due to a different role you'd think. So if we can utilise Treloar and West in the inside mid role we can cover Dunkley and some.
    Last edited by ratsmac; 20-12-2022 at 07:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

19. Likes bornadog, F'scary, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

West has great vision and defensive tenacity which every side needs in the midfield. Given we’re quite big still, no reason he can’t feature. His speed is not a point of difference v our other mids so it needs to be the hands in tight releasing players into space and the defensive work for him.

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing about Westy is that he’s bloody impossible to tackle. Combination of elite agility, low centre of gravity, and being very strong. (If you look at his training photos, bloke does not skip leg day.) With his quick hands, he could be a very good extractor from stoppages.

Post Thanks / Like

He has the grunt but is he a 'smart' midfielder?
    I actually like his Clay Smith type forward work and he really does attack the contest with intent, but as a midfielder he seems a 'see ball, get ball' type. At times if the ball falls to the other side of the contest can he hold his position and get to a space to receive the ball? I think I'd need to see more of that to really make a call.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

24. Likes Happy Days, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    One thing about Westy is that he’s bloody impossible to tackle. Combination of elite agility, low centre of gravity, and being very strong. (If you look at his training photos, bloke does not skip leg day.) With his quick hands, he could be a very good extractor from stoppages.
    It's a great point of differences you raise. We have a packed forward line and competition for spots will hopefully produce results for us. If West can provide that forward and midfielder option for us he could really take another step forward next season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

26. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For Rhylee, this is THE invite I imagine all the players want to get. It must’ve been great for him to get the invite. There’s no shortage of players who would be deserving or desperate to go. Good for him.

Alas Croz dropped off, but the players that go on that trip excel their performances and careers. Bodes well for Rhylee.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 20-12-2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Typo
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023