Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"I have arrived" season?

Which player(s) do you think might have one of those "I have arrived" seasons for the dogs next year?

A bit of context behind the thought would be appreciated.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "I have arrived" season?

Rory Lobb.

Kicked career best this year 36.24 as the main target with the best defender, career best 12 Goal Assists and career best 49 Marks I50 (15th in competition). Top 3 bests for him for disposals (contested - 19th in competition- and uncontested), 1%’s and marks. 4th best for him for tackles and hit outs. With insane TOG.

Now Naughton takes the best KPD week in and week out being ranked in 2022, 5th in competition for Contested Marks and 12th for Marks I50 with 51 Goals.

If the delivery to him is equal to what Freo gave him. With a gun KPF in Naughton next to him taking the best KPD each week, which he had on him this (break out) season, then he could finally ‘arrive’ as the out and out gun he was on the verge of becoming at GWS. The move to Freo, outside this year, hasn’t worked for him delivering his full potential from the GWS. He’s ready to deliver, and finally has the conditions around him to excel, if our midfield can give him solid service.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

3. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, azabob, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Which player(s) do you think might have one of those "I have arrived" seasons for the dogs next year?

A bit of context behind the thought would be appreciated.
    Rhylee West.

At times in 2022 he looked like he was ready to make that statement.

I think he showed in 2022 he can more than hold his end up at this level and that alone should be enough to spur him on in 2023.
    Coupled with his off-season training hook-up with Bont, and with Dunkley's midfield spot opening up, there are some real opportunities up for grabs that should enable Rhylee the room to stake a real claim to a substantial role in the team.

With five preseasons under his belt (once this one is done) Rhylee will be never be more physically ready to establish his own identity as a serious AFL player.
    This time last year i had started to have some doubts as to whether he had enough AFL attributes to make it. However by season end I'd seen enough from West to make me think he could really be one who steps up in 2023.

Post Thanks / Like

Riley Garcia.

No context for you.
    "It's over. It's all over."

6. Likes chef, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dom Bedendo. He came into our side as an incredibly skinny project with some great attributes, now after a couple of years he’s bulked up and has looked at home at the level.

8. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
    Dom Bedendo. He came into our side as an incredibly skinny project with some great attributes, now after a couple of years he’s bulked up and has looked at home at the level.
    He is a good prospect but I struggle just a little bit to work out what position he might fill for us next season.
    Yesterday he got off to a fast start with some big marks and he looked impressive but when he wasn't marking it he didn't catch the eye. He will have competition for a spot on a wing and our forward line is choc full of taller and smaller players who fit the forward line better.

If he can maintain progress during the off season it will be interesting to see what role he can fill for us.

Post Thanks / Like

I like all.of the above and would add Buku Khamis to the list.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Tim English

We have been waiting awhile for Tim to come of age but next season is now his time. At age 25 he is starting to reach his peak as a tall mature ruckman. The competition has seen what he is capable of and it is time to step up and start to dominate in the ruck. I can't help but think his confidence was dented the last two seasons with concussions, so hopefully he stays injury free.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes GVGjr, hujsh, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we're talking players cementing best 22 positions probably R.Smith. A bit boring an answer.

On the other hand if we're asking who steps up and becomes AA/star quality...I'd say Bailey Smith. He's shown he can do it for patches of a season (while still being very good/consistent otherwise) but I think this is the year he can explode. If we let him and don't try to make him our wingman.

Second choice... Jamarra. He's got two key forwards to work with and take the attention. Could see him having a 30 goal year which would be a good stepping stone but wouldn't be totally shocked if we have a good year and he gets 40-50. Big numbers for sure for the non-focus but I think that's part of what will make him so dangerous

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If we're talking players cementing best 22 positions probably R.Smith. A bit boring an answer.
    I guess it could be the player who comes from a fair way back that becomes a regular or a player that kicks 6 goals in a game.
    It might even be someone like Bont who breaks through for a Brownlow or Naughton for a Coleman.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it could be the player who comes from a fair way back that becomes a regular or a player that kicks 6 goals in a game.
    It might even be someone like Bont who breaks through for a Brownlow or Naughton for a Coleman.
    Kane Cornes has ranked Naughton as one of his top ten best in the comp for 2023 (along with Bont of course)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Predictable from me given my love for him, but Ed Richards.

Last season he managed to scrape his way back to a regular best 22 spot after some time shifting positions and struggling with injury to play the best footy of his career. I reckon this is the year he kicks on to become a critical part of our back 6. Strong in the air with excellent recovery skills and an underrated hardness at the contest, I think Ed has athletic qualities that we've lacked from our mid sized backs since Easton left with a more attacking bent to his game. Hopefully he uses his poor Elimination Final as a spur to become a true top liner.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

17. Likes lemmon, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is a good prospect but I struggle just a little bit to work out what position he might fill for us next season.
    Yesterday he got off to a fast start with some big marks and he looked impressive but when he wasn't marking it he didn't catch the eye. He will have competition for a spot on a wing and our forward line is choc full of taller and smaller players who fit the forward line better.

If he can maintain progress during the off season it will be interesting to see what role he can fill for us.
    It's an awkward one because we seem to have 3 (Khamis, Bedendo and Raak), maybe even 4 (Hannan) players on the list fighting for the tallish low possession leading forward spot that I'm not even sure we want to use considering we have three proper talls up there already. They all seem decent prospects but it's a really odd role to stockpile talent in.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Gardner is my pick. There's clearly a lot of love for him internally and Bevo talks him up a lot. I think his point of difference compared with our other key backs is his all-round athleticism - he seems to have decent enough closing speed, a good tank and good agility to play on the more athletic key forwards.

Last year it seemed like he was stuck to the number 1 forward a lot of the time - especially when he largely only had Cordy for company. Hopefully with Jones, a rejuvenated Keath and Bruce being shifted back, Gardner has more support back there.

20. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    It's an awkward one because we seem to have 3 (Khamis, Bedendo and Raak), maybe even 4 (Hannan) players on the list fighting for the tallish low possession leading forward spot that I'm not even sure we want to use considering we have three proper talls up there already. They all seem decent prospects but it's a really odd role to stockpile talent in.
    If that's the role there is NO ROLE.

3-4x talls depending on your Josh Bruce thoughts.
    1-2x smalls with Weightman playing every week and Garcia/Toby pushing...some would say Charlie C as well but that seems premature to me.
    1 of Bont, Liber, Treloar, Smith etc playing high.

There is no role there...Unless it's the new sub wildcard thing and Bevo has a business plan!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.