Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  36
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "I have arrived" season?

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If that's the role there is NO ROLE.

3-4x talls depending on your Josh Bruce thoughts.
    1-2x smalls with Weightman playing every week and Garcia/Toby pushing...some would say Charlie C as well but that seems premature to me.
    1 of Bont, Liber, Treloar, Smith etc playing high.

There is no role there...Unless it's the new sub wildcard thing and Bevo has a business plan!
    I'm assuming they are kind of competing with JUH as the mobile not the main target tall, but like you I am baffled why we would try to make them into that position when we have enough issues fitting the 4 tall forwards we rate in ahead of them anyway.

I don't think we see them as the succession plan to Lobb/Bruce either (the former has Darcy to take over, the latter is probably not best 22 anyway).

I am encouraged that they look good there, and I have liked aspects of Khamis' performances there, but I am worried it will ultimately amount to nothing and doubles up as a continual bugbear of mine in that we love overinvesting in developing players in non essential positions (like midfielder playing small pressure forward working up the flank ie McNeil, Garcia, McLean, West, McComb) when we could be using their list spots on actual important positions we definitely actually need.

At times it feels like we are obsessed with trying to find ways to give guys the most marginal AFL career possible for as long as possible.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I'm assuming they are kind of competing with JUH as the mobile not the main target tall, but like you I am baffled why we would try to make them into that position when we have enough issues fitting the 4 tall forwards we rate in ahead of them anyway.

I don't think we see them as the succession plan to Lobb/Bruce either (the former has Darcy to take over, the latter is probably not best 22 anyway).

I am encouraged that they look good there, and I have liked aspects of Khamis' performances there, but I am worried it will ultimately amount to nothing and doubles up as a continual bugbear of mine in that we love overinvesting in developing players in non essential positions (like midfielder playing small pressure forward working up the flank ie McNeil, Garcia, McLean, West, McComb) when we could be using their list spots on actual important positions we definitely actually need.

At times it feels like we are obsessed with trying to find ways to give guys the most marginal AFL career possible for as long as possible.
    But isn't having a rotation of guys who can play multiple positions at a decent standard the type of thing you need to generate depth and minimise the impact of injuries etc.?

The reality is that not many teams have straight-swap depth in the most important of positions, maybe outside of the odd ruck or key defender, which means you need guys who fight and scrap for a peripheral position under normal circumstances to step up and guys who can replace them if something goes wrong. If you turn over the list too quickly then these lesser lights/ replacements don't get sufficient exposure to senior football or time to develop.

However, I do share your concerns particularly with Khamis. If he was a bit taller and a bit stronger then his lack of running capability wouldn't be as much of an issue. But he isn't and I fear we'll end up cutting him loose after a lot of perseverance (at relatively low cost, I guess).
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Garcia and West are going to cement themselves as a 1-2 punch out of the guts and across half forward, bit of grunt from West and razzle dazzle from Garcia.

4. Likes Bulldog4life, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a bit more of a "I have come back" but I have to say Toby McLean.
    We have perhaps forgotten that he can actually play, and given he has played as a legitimate forward and a midfielder he's probably the first choice we now have for that hybrid forward/mid role. Reports that his tank is right up there too so all that thankless running required in that HF spot is something he can cover.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes GVGjr, The Underdog, WBFC4FFC, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Gardner

Hard to believe he has only played 43 games. In those games be has gone from being unfairly maligned and ridiculed to being arguably the linchpin of our defence. I like that, despite the doubters, he continually improves with every game. He works his backside off and does a lot of the 1 percenters (anyone notice his smothers standing the mark?). At 25 his best years are coming up.

I also liked the upward trajectory of Buku Khamis last year. Hope we see more.

Bailey Smith, if the footballer turns up in 2023 rather than the celebrity, he could be AA. Arguably our most explosive player.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Ryan Gardner

Hard to believe he has only played 43 games. In those games be has gone from being unfairly maligned and ridiculed to being arguably the linchpin of our defence. I like that, despite the doubters, he continually improves with every game. He works his backside off and does a lot of the 1 percenters (anyone notice his smothers standing the mark?). At 25 his best years are coming up.

I also liked the upward trajectory of Buku Khamis last year. Hope we see more.

Bailey Smith, if the footballer turns up in 2023 rather than the celebrity, he could be AA. Arguably our most explosive player.
    I really like the suggestion on Gardner. With better support around him he could really thrive in the back line for us next season.
    His ability to judge the ball in the air has really progressed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Is this really necessary?

Before the ‘video’ surfaced, and the head butt incident he had played in every game since he debuted in Rd1 of 2019, and had played some fantastic footy for us… the kid is as professional as they come and to say otherwise… well that’s on you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is this really necessary?

Before the ‘video’ surfaced, and the head butt incident he had played in every game since he debuted in Rd1 of 2019, and had played some fantastic footy for us… the kid is as professional as they come and to say otherwise… well that’s on you.
    I get the point you are making.
    With Dunkley's departure the importance of Smith's potential to our midfield increases and while there is no doubt that Smith's dedication and professionalism to his footy has been impressive I don't think we can we can say with a lot of confidence there are no reasons for concerns next year although I'm confident he will be a significant player for us next season.
    I agree with Doc that he has the potential to reach AA considerations for next year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get the point you are making.
    With Dunkley's departure the importance of Smith's potential to our midfield increases and while there is no doubt that Smith's dedication and professionalism to his footy has been impressive I don't think we can we can say with a lot of confidence there are no reasons for concerns next year although I'm confident he will be a significant player for us next season.
    I agree with Doc that he has the potential to reach AA considerations for next year.
    You are the perfect moderator G.

What makes a good moderator?
    A great moderator utilizes language that is straight without being confrontational, and crystal clear without being biased. A moderator's job is to make sure the speakers and audience members understand each other and get along. It is important to be clear and concise with your delivery.