Thanks Thanks:  26
Likes Likes:  418
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R3 2023 - Thursday 30 March 7:20PM, Marvel Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Have they not heard of this little thing called 'Footy Training'. It's Thursday night - it always has and always will be on Thursday night.

I hate the Thursday fixture so much.

(Plus, the week should NEVER have more days WITH football than without...if it's always there, it just becomes background (like 20-20). If it is relatively SCARCE, then you make time to watch. The AFL hate us.
    I think it's a poor time slot as well but for some reason it apparently works in Sydney.
    We tried Monday nights like what the NFL does but people wouldn't cop that and the thought process was I might be tired for the next 2 or 3 days whereas for many people have a view that with Thursday night football I only have to put up with it for a day.
    I'd have a cap on Thursday nights to maybe 6 a year. It's a great lead up to the Easter week games.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R3 2023 - Thursday 30 March 7:20PM, Marvel Stadium

The good news is that we have never started 0-3 under Beveridge.

Whenever we have lost the first 2 we have somehow managed to win round 3.

This I need to continue at least.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To me this game has us coming out hungry and breaking even for a quarter before we fall away.

The fixture is pretty brutal early. Brisbane will be too good for us. I'm looking forward to seeing how our response looks though. I feel the outcome of this game will dictate how our season goes.

5. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Given how badly our midfield is performing do we think it’s likely we will try and limit the influence of Neale? Is it a task that Macrae is capable of fulfilling?

Would like to see Bont go H2H with Dunkley.

At least by playing early in the week the players have the opportunity to right the ship sooner rather than later… but there will be a huge ‘watch’ on us so no where to hide on Thursday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a question for all, who would you prefer as the extra midfielder right now if you had a choice of two.

Bailey Williams or Caleb Daniel? I just can't see how Caleb can compliment our midfield rotations considering our known weaknesses.

I must say I've always wanted to see Bailey play midfield, just love his size, has a side step and can be direct by foot.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Just a question for all, who would you prefer as the extra midfielder right now if you had a choice of two.

Bailey Williams or Caleb Daniel? I just can't see how Caleb can compliment our midfield rotations considering our known weaknesses.

I must say I've always wanted to see Bailey play midfield, just love his size, has a side step and can be direct by foot.

Thoughts?
    I don't know how Williams would go in the centre, but I didn't like Caleb in there. Why not Garcia, or West
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes josie, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    Right now, I'd prefer Bailey Williams. Caleb looked the slowest I've seen him on Saturday. He completely failed to accelerate or chase hard. I wonder whether he is carrying something.

We need a big bodied defensive midfielder and I would be prepared to give Bailey a go too. Definitely Garcia and West in the rotations before Caleb too.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Right now, I'd prefer Bailey Williams. Caleb looked the slowest I've seen him on Saturday. He completely failed to accelerate or chase hard. I wonder whether he is carrying something.

We need a big bodied defensive midfielder and I would be prepared to give Bailey a go too. Definitely Garcia and West in the rotations before Caleb too.
    I was disappointed in both of them mainly because of the work they put in over the off season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    On a number of occasions during the pre season, Caleb Daniel did not participate in training with the main group. I understand he had back related tightness. G might know more.

I would play West in the midfield before Garcia - has been in the system a little longer.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

14. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was disappointed in both of them mainly because of the work they put in over the off season.
    We've clearly got a lot out of form, but they're at the top of the list for mine.

Part of me wonders where Williams is at. In 2021 he was a very good defender, capable of intercept marking and rebounding. He was generally good 1-v-1 (I still remember the contest he won v WCE, and the one in the Prelim).

He had a very poor start to last year and we moved him to a wing with subdued results. He's remained there since, perhaps out of necessity?

Surely this is one where he should have just remained as a defender. We've used the likes of Crozier, TOB, Khamis and others since but Williams is and should be far better than them all. If he can't play as a defender, maybe he's just not good enough?

I just don't see it with him as a winger. Mason Wood torched him for good measure.
    W00F!

16. Likes Grantysghost, GVGjr, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The good news is that we have never started 0-3 under Beveridge.

Whenever we have lost the first 2 we have somehow managed to win round 3.

This I need to continue at least.
    Investing Principle #11 – Past Performance Is No Indicator of Future Performance.

18. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    Williams everday for the reasons you say. Caleb seems way too slow too. The only other I'd consider is Garcia for his speed and aggression, also ahead of West who seems to always give away frees.

Margin US by 23, yes US
    FIrst goal, Naughton
    BOG, Bont

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thursday is the worse night to be going to footy, especially for country dwellers.
    Yep, too hard on a Thursday night for me. Unless I get selected for the guard of honour, then I would have to make the effort!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't know how Williams would go in the centre, but I didn't like Caleb in there. Why not Garcia, or West
    I'd be getting time into Garcia and West through there. Garcia looks like he is more inclined to take the opportunities than West, but both have a bit of hunger and physicality in their game that is a point of difference to what we've been seeing.

22. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Press conference here

Worth listening to
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

24. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes MrMahatma liked this post