Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
We have spoken about this repeatedly. BUT.

What I mean is, we often lament the absence of rookie draft selections etc in our side today vs the old days - whether we were successful (and 2015-16 were banner years for rookie + castoff production with Morris, Boyd, Picken, JJ, Briggs et al running around) but as a club and supporter base we embraced them and almost nurtured them.

I was there when Morris played his first game and ran out to stand next to Andrew Macleod. We didn't run him down - we prayed for his success and for the goodness of his soul!

Nowadays? One mistake and done. We have a short leash these days. If your not Bont, then you're no good. I know it's not quite like that but that is how it feels...
I see “workman-like” as guys who play for the team. They play their role, and if that means sacrificing their own game, they will do it.
We don’t have that as a team. Libba is workmanlike, don’t get me wrong. Macrae can have that workmanlike mantra too, but Treloar and smith are certainly not workman like. One thing we don’t have is a midfield with a defensive bone in their body. That cost us the GF.

Who would I rather in the dogs colours…smith and Treloar or Newcombe and warpal ? The latter by far.