Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  113
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The platitudes each coach is affording themselves and players is a bit surprising.
    I kind of get it. Richmond played the game on their terms (except for being very inefficient insde F50) and their normally rubbish stoppage game stood up against one of the best stoppage teams in the comp - Taranto and Hopper already making a difference in an area of weakness.

Carlton would be happy to have defended their back 50 so strongly - as Voss said, they would have lost a similar game last year by 6 goals. They would be concerned to lose the I50 count by over 20 but their back 6 hung tough.
    Last edited by Sedat; 17-03-2023 at 12:40 AM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    last 2 mins

@49 sec remainin : 3 blues defenders get outmarked by Lynch , long bomb into fwd line.

Young standing there wondering why he got pushed out. That kinda thing drives supporters nuts .

I am glad Carlton snatched this game from jaws of victory... again...

https://www.afl.com.au/video/883066/...=1678960974001
    Yeah, like I said before I don't get the angst over him. He plays loose as can be and then here he failed to put in any body contact or even contest the ball in a meaningful way.

3. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The traditional opening draw of the season. Great stuff.

It was a slow/ dead track, difficult to get the ball flowing on, but overall that was a bit ordinary in my view. Yep, it was close but not sure I'm too enamoured with either side.
    There is something about this opening match that just makes me feel bored of football already.

The whole tigers vs blues opening game is just typical weird and contrived AFEL stuff.

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I kind of get it. Richmond played the game on their terms (except for being very inefficient insde F50) and their normally rubbish stoppage game stood up against one of the best stoppage teams in the comp - Taranto and Hopper already making a difference in an area of weakness.

Carlton would be happy to have defended their back 50 so strongly - as Voss said, they would have lost a similar game last year by 6 goals. They would be concerned to lose the I50 count by over 20 but their back 6 hung tough.
    Perhaps it's too early in the season to show a great deal of concern and I get coaches want to keep things positive, though the inverse of what you've pointed out in each case is pretty damning.

Richmond had the game on their terms but couldn't capitalise due to ineffectiveness, while Carlton relied on Richmond's ineffectiveness to stay in the game. A bit of sober and honest introspection will do both teams a bit of good in the early part of the week.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Sedat, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    last 2 mins

@49 sec remainin : 3 blues defenders get outmarked by Lynch , long bomb into fwd line.

Young standing there wondering why he got pushed out. That kinda thing drives supporters nuts .

I am glad Carlton snatched this game from jaws of victory... again...

https://www.afl.com.au/video/883066/...=1678960974001
    Seriously. Lewis Young would not want to watch back that tape. He literally stepped out of the way. He pulled out of the contest. He didn't go the ball or even try and put some body on Lynch.

They signed him to three more years. Good luck.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Seriously. Lewis Young would not want to watch back that tape. He literally stepped out of the way. He pulled out of the contest. He didn't go the ball or even try and put some body on Lynch.

They signed him to three more years. Good luck.
    14 intercept possessions. Reckon they’re probably pretty happy to have him. He, Weitering and McGovern were all poor in that contest, but on balance he’s a solid addition for the Blues.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    14 intercept possessions. Reckon they’re probably pretty happy to have him. He, Weitering and McGovern were all poor in that contest, but on balance he’s a solid addition for the Blues.
    Possibly. One view. But that final contest for me sums up why Bevo was hesitant to play him. Game is on the line and he pulls out of the contest.

13. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Gee Nank was good. A ruckman getting his hands dirty and laying 11 tackles, on top of his grunt work at stoppages. Just works incredibly hard.
    100% this... Could you imagine Ben Hudson in our team for the last few years? Seriously.. how good would that be?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes Sedat, mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Possibly. One view. But that final contest for me sums up why Bevo was hesitant to play him. Game is on the line and he pulls out of the contest.
    It was a weak effort. He should have crashed the pack and made sure Lynch was no where near the ball. This is something I am confident Jones would do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Thanks angelopetraglia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is where I land too.

That was a horrible contest, but he also won a lot of 1v1s and was a big reason for why Richmond's +21 inside 50s didn't lead to more goals.

The thinking of "yes he had a good game but he also made one mistake" is very Bevo black and white, and is the reason we have lost quality players in his tenure.

19. Likes Mantis, josie, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    This is where I land too.

That was a horrible contest, but he also won a lot of 1v1s and was a big reason for why Richmond's +21 inside 50s didn't lead to more goals.

The thinking of "yes he had a good game but he also made one mistake" is very Bevo black and white, and is the reason we have lost quality players in his tenure.
    Yeah, not sure I subscribe to the 'he's no good because he's not with us' line.

He isn't a superstar, but there's a sense of irony that we were desperate to add a player with intercept ability (Jones) while Young was/is very clearly that. Clearly Jones is BETTER but it wasn't orchestrated by design.

Carlton are happy with Young, evident by a 3-year deal. From what I have seen, he's been good value and for much of last night. Considering none of our defenders could essentially halve a contest last year, I'm not sure we should be pointing fingers..
    W00F!

21. Likes Sedat, josie, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Young was excellent last night and was a large part of why Carlton were able to hold firm against a significant possession deficit. Don’t really think this Cornes-style micro criticism is fair or honest.

But also at the same time WOW are Carlton getting a lot of praise for choking away another win in the last two minutes. That play with O’Brien down the wing (fumbling a bounce and missing the chance to get an easy hit up to McKay 10 seconds earlier) and Acres at half forward (dropping a chest mark) are plain as day examples of the moment being too big for their fringe players and also exactly the sort of thing that they were criticised for at the end of last season.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

23. Likes Mofra, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    But also at the same time WOW are Carlton getting a lot of praise for choking away another win in the last two minutes. That play with O’Brien down the wing (fumbling a bounce and missing the chance to get an easy hit up to McKay 10 seconds earlier) and Acres at half forward (dropping a chest mark) are plain as day examples of the moment being too big for their fringe players and also exactly the sort of thing that they were criticised for at the end of last season.
    You're not wrong but the LOB one is an interesting one as he has faced a bit of criticism for it from the fan base as well, when even with his "stuff up" he still managed to hit McKay uncontested. I mean if LOB is gonna be criticised for the turf not bouncing the ball back to him properly but McKay isn't going to be criticised for slipping on the turf and dropping a mark that literally hits both his hands then thats not really fair. LOB has enough to dislike without being told off for stuff he did ok in.

Think Carltons last 3 games have all been losses despite leading inside the last 2 minutes in each one.
    Last edited by soupman; 17-03-2023 at 12:04 PM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

25. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He played ok but when the game's on the line, do you trust him?
    Gardner has less natural ability and I'd pay Gardner ahead of Young every time.

Good luck to Lewie, but he won't be playing on a completely cooked Riewoldt every week either
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

27. Likes chef, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The bits I saw he was pretty good, one contest aside.

He's undoubtably good enough to be an AFL key defender, and almost undoubtably never going to be an elite one, but I think we probably have to get off our high horse when we are fielding Josh Bruce in the same role.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right