Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  113
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R1 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He played ok but when the game's on the line, do you trust him?
    Gardner has less natural ability and I'd pay Gardner ahead of Young every time.

Good luck to Lewie, but he won't be playing on a completely cooked Riewoldt every week either
    Yeah let's face it, he really does suck and you guys should all stop practising revisionist history

Also - I hope he does well just not against us !

2. Likes Bullies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    You're not wrong but the LOB one is an interesting one as he has faced a bit of criticism for it from the fan base as well, when even with his "stuff up" he still managed to hit McKay uncontested. I mean if LOB is gonna be criticised for the turd not bouncing the ball back to him properly but McKay isn't going to be criticised for slipping on the turf and dropping a mark that literally hits both his hands then thats not really fair. LOB has enough to dislike without being told off for stuff he did ok in.

Think Carltons last 3 games have all been losses despite leading inside the last 2 minutes in each one.
    The ball bouncing was funny but live I thought he probably needed to look to get the ball in after bounce number two or so. It let Richmond work back with more numbers and clear the ball instead of getting it into McKay one out. Down the ground footage would be good to see.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Yeah, not sure I subscribe to the 'he's no good because he's not with us' line.

He isn't a superstar, but there's a sense of irony that we were desperate to add a player with intercept ability (Jones) while Young was/is very clearly that. Clearly Jones is BETTER but it wasn't orchestrated by design.

Carlton are happy with Young, evident by a 3-year deal. From what I have seen, he's been good value and for much of last night. Considering none of our defenders could essentially halve a contest last year, I'm not sure we should be pointing fingers..
    We haven't got a great history in developing talls in recent years with Naughton and English being the most notable exceptions.
    As a result we've tended to trade/acquire for taller players like Trengove, Bruce, Keath, Gardner and now the pairing of Lobb and Jones and we also tried to luck out with Martin.
    For whatever reason and despite an encouraging first year with us we just weren't set on Young as a defender and tried, without success, to turn him into a 2nd ruck and forward player.
    He would be happy that Carlton have given him some chances to play in his more natural position and a show of faith by Carlton with an extended period deal.

The onus is now on us to develop Ugle-Hagan, Darcy and Busslinger into KPP and also with Croft if we can get him to the club.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    You're not wrong but the LOB one is an interesting one as he has faced a bit of criticism for it from the fan base as well, when even with his "stuff up" he still managed to hit McKay uncontested. I mean if LOB is gonna be criticised for the turd not bouncing the ball back to him properly but McKay isn't going to be criticised for slipping on the turf and dropping a mark that literally hits both his hands then thats not really fair. LOB has enough to dislike without being told off for stuff he did ok in.

Think Carltons last 3 games have all been losses despite leading inside the last 2 minutes in each one.
    LOB is a role player with massive limitations who is on maybe 200-250k a season (possibly less). He no doubt erred initially in not delivering the ball quicker, but when he did he absolutely laced out McKay with a perfect kick. McKay is on probably 4 times the salary that LOB is on - in that same play he slipped over while on his own, and then flubbed the uncontested chest mark from a kick that couldn't have been directed at him any better. McKay is on the big bucks and is the money man, but the foot soldier on minimum wage gets almost all the criticism from fans and the AFEL media alike.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    but when he did he absolutely laced out McKay with a perfect kick.
    Bears repeating. That kick was so good it was like Dan Marino got the laces out for it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He played ok but when the game's on the line, do you trust him?
    Gardner has less natural ability and I'd pay Gardner ahead of Young every time.

Good luck to Lewie, but he won't be playing on a completely cooked Riewoldt every week either
    I wonder if we'll be as forgiving of our own when they make mistakes that lead directly to goals that cost tight games as we are with Young now he's left us......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton really just gonna pretend they won this one aren't they.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Carlton really just gonna pretend they won this one aren't they.
    If it contributes to their gaslighting of fans as effectively as last year's first half of the year did then I'm all for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I only watched the first quarter and the last 10 minutes of the game, but I thought the skill level of some of the players was woeful.

Can AFL footballers handball at all and hit a target, instead of someone's feet?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wonder if we'll be as forgiving of our own when they make mistakes that lead directly to goals that cost tight games as we are with Young now he's left us......
    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I only watched the first quarter and the last 10 minutes of the game, but I thought the skill level of some of the players was woeful.

Can AFL footballers handball at all and hit a target, instead of someone's feet?
    Posted without comment
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Josh Bruce will be a test case tomorrow night.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I'm sure Josh Bruce will be a test case tomorrow night.
    Ha, he probably will, but hopefully he actually contests rather than going out of his way not to like Young at crucial times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    LOB is a role player with massive limitations who is on maybe 200-250k a season (possibly less). He no doubt erred initially in not delivering the ball quicker, but when he did he absolutely laced out McKay with a perfect kick. McKay is on probably 4 times the salary that LOB is on - in that same play he slipped over while on his own, and then flubbed the uncontested chest mark from a kick that couldn't have been directed at him any better. McKay is on the big bucks and is the money man, but the foot soldier on minimum wage gets almost all the criticism from fans and the AFEL media alike.
    A former pick 10 foot-soldier who was once seen as an integral part of their rebuild...

I'm not sure he runs forward with 4 bounces if he has his time again after Carlton put up that stupid power point sign from the bench a minute earlier.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a certain 'perception' element - did the player give their all?
    Good luck to Lewie but I still am not convinced he's one of the 'competitive animals' that we seem to demand in the backline. Nothing against the bloke, it's just the jury is still out for mine.
    He can certainly intercept but as a no 2 KPD (Weitering is brilliant)? Let's see. He's certainly been given time to develop which kids often do when they 'show signs'.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a certain 'perception' element - did the player give their all?
    Good luck to Lewie but I still am not convinced he's one of the 'competitive animals' that we seem to demand in the backline. Nothing against the bloke, it's just the jury is still out for mine.
    He can certainly intercept but as a no 2 KPD (Weitering is brilliant)? Let's see. He's certainly been given time to develop which kids often do when they 'show signs'.
    It's interesting, because I asked my brother who's a Carlton supporter on the two critical Lynch marks and goals that followed Lewis not competing at any level when he clearly should have influenced the contest and he still saw his game as a positive on balance. He virtually shrugged off both instances.

Perhaps people are starting to focus on what players can do rather than what they can't, more so than they may have in the past.