Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  75
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R5 2023 - Gather Round

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That and it's never quite so simple as stay=premiership. He probably made the best decision for himself at the time given what he knew.
    Yes the knee of Zaine never happens if he stays.

Everything had to go exactly as it did.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes the knee of Zaine never happens if he stays.

Everything had to go exactly as it did.

I would never boo Zaines knee

4. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Rogan, has JHF actually complained or are you conflating him with your perception of younger people and the media coverage defending him?

More seriously and pointless inter-generational culture warfare aside I've not actually seen him speak out against the booing. Hinkley has condemned it, the some media has as well, Jason just played a game of football.
    It's ok, Boomers hated us too. It's just what happens, pointless as it is.

The thing is we all grew up with our own problems and not the next generation's problems so we can't understand their experience because it isn't happening to us.

It's like the day you realise triple J isn't aimed at you anymore. It just happens.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

The thing is we all grew up with our own problems and not the next generation's problems so we can't understand their experience because it isn't happening to us.

It's like the day you realise triple J isn't aimed at you anymore. It just happens.
    Exactly. I don't hate the next generation at all. Wasn't my point but I guess I should have been careful with my words knowing where im posting.

I know my generation isn't as resilient as the one before and the one before that. We are products of the environment we've grown up in. I can't imagine growing up during 2 world wars and a great depression.

What's great about each subsequent generation is they are speaking up for themselves and their beliefs. There's so much bs in society that is driven down from the elite or is just done because it's always been done that way. New generations are challenging the bs and it's great.

Post Thanks / Like

The worst day was hearing my eras music on gold fm.

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Exactly. I don't hate the next generation at all. Wasn't my point but I guess I should have been careful with my words knowing where im posting.

I know my generation isn't as resilient as the one before and the one before that. We are products of the environment we've grown up in. I can't imagine growing up during 2 world wars and a great depression.

What's great about each subsequent generation is they are speaking up for themselves and their beliefs. There's so much bs in society that is driven down from the elite or is just done because it's always been done that way. New generations are challenging the bs and it's great.
    Can't deny how bad they were but that doesn't diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. The threat of a world ending nuclear war, the growing inequality and diminishing quality of life, the existential dread of climate change. All pretty horrible things that all pose different tolls on people.

And appologies if I judged you harshly. When I read that comment my first association was the “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” BS that gets trotted out to dismiss and attack Millennials (without realising it's actually Gen Z who are the 20 year olds now)

Post Thanks / Like

Can't deny how bad they were but that doesn't diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. The threat of a world ending nuclear war, the growing inequality and diminishing quality of life, the existential dread of climate change. All pretty horrible things that all pose different tolls on people.

And appologies if I judged you harshly. When I read that comment my first association was the “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” BS that gets trotted out to dismiss and attack Millennials (without realising it's actually Gen Z who are the 20 year olds now)
    I'm not trying to diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. I'm a millennial. Ive heard it all from boomers. But at the same time we cant hurl abuse to all of them for our issues (even though i want to!). Again, we're products of our time and environment.

I don't think it's wrong to compare the environments we've grown up in, but to your point, we shouldn't pass judgement.
    Knowing what was changing in schools some 10-15years ago, it doesn't surprise me seeing some of the issues our youth are currently facing.

Anyway, maybe this is all a storm in a teacup. Perhaps the crowd were just saying boo-urns.

11. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That and it's never quite so simple as stay=premiership. He probably made the best decision for himself at the time given what he knew.
    Your are right @hujush, its not so simple and its easy to talk in hindsight.

I am not criticizing him, as he did what he thought was best and financially he has set himself up.

Honestly, I did not think we were premiership contenders until we beat the Eagles in Perth in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

#genx4life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    He has been built up as a divisive figure by the media, and his actions have given it just enough credence for dumb SEN public buy in.
    Can somebody get Franco off the toilet?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking about booing. I liked what Jerry did after being booed on stage. He went to her work and booed her. Great comedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Talking about booing. I liked what Jerry did after being booed on stage. He went to her work and booed her. Great comedy.
    Haha.

Then she lost her pinkie toe in a street sweeper accident.

17. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Fredi always gives good reasons and I closed the How dare you thread on the strength of his response. Having recently stumbled across that thread again and then reading his response to booing I just thought it was inconsistent.
    After hearing the impact to JUH with the racial slurs and taunts, the impact of the booing of Goodes I think it's time to consider if targeted booing is still appropriate.
    Thanks! Not sure I do

I appreciate the no good look booing a kid and it is inconsistent. If there is a difference between Greta and JHF it's that one is (in my opinion) doing something that has an inherently selfless objective, whilst the other has acted in an essentially selfish manner.

Booing Goodes and JUH for standing up to racial vilification is never acceptable.

My personal guide

Griffin - OK to Boo (but laugh at as well and then thank for delivering a Premiership)
    Nathan Brown - Really OK to Boo
    Callam Ward - OK to Boo
    Dunk's - Boo till the cows come home
    JHF - North supporter - Boo and much as you want - Other supporter - your call, but understand why you are booing
    Wayne Carey - boo him because he is a great player who regular;y tears your team a new one, put is a complete sh*t of a human being
    Toby Greene - see Wayne Carey above
    Sol Campbell - Completely exempt from any sympathy for the rest of his life (though do draw the line at racial slurs here as they are never OK) - forever to be booed especially with the confines of White Hart Lane

19. Likes bornadog, hujsh, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Thanks! Not sure I do

I appreciate the no good look booing a kid and it is inconsistent. If there is a difference between Greta and JHF it's that one is (in my opinion) doing something that has an inherently selfless objective, whilst the other has acted in an essentially selfish manner.

Booing Goodes and JUH for standing up to racial vilification is never acceptable.

My personal guide

Griffin - OK to Boo (but laugh at as well and then thank for delivering a Premiership)
    Nathan Brown - Really OK to Boo
    Callam Ward - OK to Boo
    Dunk's - Boo till the cows come home
    JHF - North supporter - Boo and much as you want - Other supporter - your call, but understand why you are booing
    Wayne Carey - boo him because he is a great player who regular;y tears your team a new one, put is a complete sh*t of a human being
    Toby Greene - see Wayne Carey above
    Sol Campbell - Completely exempt from any sympathy for the rest of his life (though do draw the line at racial slurs here as they are never OK) - forever to be booed especially with the confines of White Hart Lane
    Is there anyone you WON'T boo?