Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  75
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R5 2023 - Gather Round

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It?s been a big talking point over here. Clearly the Freo fans are annoyed and rightly so...

FWIW it?s why the whole ?Friday night footy needs to start earlier? debate is so hard to cop for those of us on the west coast.
    It's an absolute joke.

Don't rate it as a timeslot, but I understand their want for nearly every game to be standalone (although last week they scheduled two Saturday night games at the exact time despite having other options).

But once they settled on that Friday time why would they pick one of the only two teams that were in a timezone that made it incompatible with everyday life? Baffling.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes Jasper, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think they have a nice developing forward line Doc but you might have gone a touch overboard with the 'best in the competition' stuff. It's Round 5.

What I DO like - and this is similar to the WCE team that won the flag in 2018 and even Melbourne in 2021 - they play FORWARDS in the forward line. WCE had Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, Darling, Kennedy and some other bloke i can't remember rn...each of them could kick 3 goals in a q and were always a threat. Rankine and Rachele really add an edge to the Crows...
    Yes it's debatable of course. However I don't mind sticking my neck out on this one for much the same reason you have pointed out, 'they play forwards in the forward line' and they are dynamic. I get it's only round 5 but the key players in their forward line have been around long enough now to give us a decent sample size of their ability. They have been steadily building up and then acquiring Rankine was a brilliant get. The Crows have 4 players in the top 12 of the goal kicking leaderboard at the moment. This, despite only having a 3-2 win/loss ratio. I would further argue that Rankine, Fog & Rachele would walk into most teams, including ours.

If their midfield and backline hold up they could be very scary. I also tipped the Crows in our season prediction thread to make the finals.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Likes Bulldog4life, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Same here. Very entertaining.

When they were on, the Tigers are amazing. But they just can't sustain it.
    I was hoping the tigers could steal this one, but that Balta handpass that Heeny intercepted was amazing . Just smashed their moment
    And the Ryan dropped mark took the game away from them .

Where the hell did they find Papaley ? His a guy will punish you if he gets half a step ahead . He caused havoc in the midfield when he had the ball. Fwd pinching hitting in the mid is so valuable
    Hardwick is doing the right thing by playing the kids . The late blowout shows their not physically up to the 4 quarters yet , but will get there.

sydney have so many good young players in the midfield .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    It's an absolute joke.

Don't rate it as a timeslot, but I understand their want for nearly every game to be standalone (although last week they scheduled two Saturday night games at the exact time despite having other options).

But once they settled on that Friday time why would they pick one of the only two teams that were in a timezone that made it incompatible with everyday life? Baffling.
    Because they're a bunch of no talent dipshits.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taranto and Hopper on 7 year deals might haunt Hardwick and Richmond. Their addition to the team has changed the entire way Richmond play, and it is a net negative so far. Both players are doing pretty much what they did at GWS but it is detracting from Richmond's previous strengths. They are poor users by hand and foot and as a result the Tigers are getting picked off on the turnover.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Taranto and Hopper on 7 year deals might haunt Hardwick and Richmond. Their addition to the team has changed the entire way Richmond play, and it is a net negative so far. Both players are doing pretty much what they did at GWS but it is detracting from Richmond's previous strengths. They are poor users by hand and foot and as a result the Tigers are getting picked off on the turnover.
    Not withstanding all the draft picks they paid to get them. 12 & 19 last draft. Richmond's 1st pick this year plus 31 this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Not withstanding all the draft picks they paid to get them. 12 & 19 last draft. Richmond's 1st pick this year plus 31 this year.
    This year's first pick is looking pretty juicy as well.

Richmond's been an amazing story in recent times but a lot of hubris as imbedded itself in the attitude of the players and the coach particularly. I'm enjoying it not going as well as it might.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Although alarming for Darcy that it doesn't hide how much pud he's carrying irrespective of it being a dark strip!
    Didn't notice
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I have never rated the two of them and couldn't understand what Richmond outlaid for theses players
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently they says Gather round is the best thing since slice bread

Post Thanks / Like

42 shots on goal for the Lions would be the highest in a while? Too scared to ask Swamp in case the last time was last week or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Apparently they says Gather round is the best thing since slice bread
    They're going to be talking this up so much all weekend and beyond. They're already pushing an anual spot for it.

There is another place who have lots of cool suburban grounds that can do something like this but unfortunately the AFL doesn't see them fit enough to play on.

Post Thanks / Like

15k or so at this sell out.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    They're going to be talking this up so much all weekend and beyond. They're already pushing an anual spot for it.

There is another place who have lots of cool suburban grounds that can do something like this but unfortunately the AFL doesn't see them fit enough to play on.
    It’s sickening really. Like South Australia has never seen football before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    15k or so at this sell out.
    All games are sold out apparently yet there are a lot of empty seats