Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  75
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R5 2023 - Gather Round

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It was always going to be brought up for discussion in the media once he was booed. Especially since there's some confusion around who exactly was booing him. Former players get booed all the time but 'was he booed by neutrals?' is something to fill time on TV and inches in newspapers.
    He was booed by pies fans which was surprsing but unsurprising at the same time.

Gather round we won't know who was booing him.

Ultimately, North fans will boo him when their clubs meet. It might last another couple seasons then it'll fizzle out.

I haven't actually read anything specific on this and why it's creating such an uproar. It seemed to start after the pies game. But has it turned into that he shouldn't be booed at all?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it partly kicked off because Collingwood, with its supporter group who bemoaned the booing of Ginnivan and said it was an unfair thing for a 19 year old to cop, especially considering the increased focus on mentla health, have spent the first couple of rounds this year booing the shit out of 20 year old Ollie Henry and 19 year old JHF.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you know the difference between these and JHF too. I get the similarities but that's just surface level. We can talk about if booing is appropriate but these comparisons are like trying to compare calling someone a cracker vs A*o to say all slurs are bad.
    Well I actually don't know the reasons behind the JHF booing and why it started in that round. If it's because of the way he left North then I don't understand why other clubs supporters would be buying into it.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit protective of the indigenous boys given we know the impact the targeted booing had on Goodes and what happened to JUH with racial slurs. I'd hope JHF isn't subjected to anything like what Goodes endured.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    He was booed by pies fans which was surprsing but unsurprising at the same time.

Gather round we won't know who was booing him.

Ultimately, North fans will boo him when their clubs meet. It might last another couple seasons then it'll fizzle out.

I haven't actually read anything specific on this and why it's creating such an uproar. It seemed to start after the pies game. But has it turned into that he shouldn't be booed at all?
    Yep, he will be prepared for the North response but I think this one caught both Port and Horne Francis unaware.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep, he will be prepared for the North response but I think this one caught both Port and Horne Francis unaware.
    He has been built up as a divisive figure by the media, and his actions have given it just enough credence for dumb SEN public buy in.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting discussion.

I've always hated booing - I think I cry booed Callan Ward once, it just came out as "I love you Callan how could you break my heart like this YOU WERE THE CHOSEN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE" amidst the sobbing.

Regarding kids being less resilient now, as someone who manages a few 20 somethings and has teenage nieces and nephews it's just not true.

If anything they are as or more resilient considering the world of social media, and a camera in everyone's pocket.

IF it's affecting mental health, then it should be called out. I really don't know how you stop it, however making people aware of it might reduce it a bit due to some people realising it isn't cool and changing their behaviour.

8. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I actually don't know the reasons behind the JHF booing and why it started in that round. If it's because of the way he left North then I don't understand why other clubs supporters would be buying into it.
    Perhaps I'm being a bit protective of the indigenous boys given we know the impact the targeted booing had on Goodes and what happened to JUH with racial slurs. I'd hope JHF isn't subjected to anything like what Goodes endured.
    Well my point was the two examples you used were racially motivated which is a bit different than booing someone because you perceive them as being a dickhead. I'm fairly certain JHF wasn't booed for that reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    He has been built up as a divisive figure by the media, and his actions have given it just enough credence for dumb SEN public buy in.
    I'm critical of the way he departed North.
    I agree it does appear the media hasn't done him a lot of favors either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

I've always hated booing - I think I cry booed Callan Ward once, it just came out as "I love you Callan how could you break my heart like this YOU WERE THE CHOSEN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE" amidst the sobbing.

Regarding kids being less resilient now, as someone who manages a few 20 somethings and has teenage nieces and nephews it's just not true.

If anything they are as or more resilient considering the world of social media, and a camera in everyone's pocket.

IF it's affecting mental health, then it should be called out. I really don't know how you stop it, however making people aware of it might reduce it a bit due to some people realising it isn't cool and changing their behaviour.
    I never have or ever will boo anyone. Mostly because I know it's not going to change anything.

What affects mental health is just such a complicated topic and will be different for each individual. The 'cancel culture' that is currently occurring is as such a complicated issue (diversity aside) given that. People have been accused of playing the mental health card to get out of a situation but how could anyone actually call someone out on it? How would you ever know how something affects someone?

Re the resilience, it's of course not applicable to all youths. There is a hell of a lot of good that the next generation is bringing that will make this world a better place. However what is happening in schools and on the streets is concerning. There is a significant divide playing out right now but I digress.

12. Likes GVGjr, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm critical of the way he departed North.
    I agree it does appear the media hasn't done him a lot of favors either.
    It's interesting. If he was so determined to play in SA, could he have given this indication before the draft? Did he? Or was it north he had a problem with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

I am sure he really cares deep down leaving the dogs with his multimillion dollars in the bank... without a Premiership medallion.

There is a long list of great AFL players who have played 300+ games without a premiership. I wonder how much they would be prepared to give back in terms of dollars to be a premiership player ?

15. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It's interesting. If he was so determined to play in SA, could he have given this indication before the draft? Did he? Or was it north he had a problem with?
    All the interviews would focus on that very point. I heard that he genuinely wanted to go #1 but he also wanted to stay in SA. North backed it's ability to keep him but we're a shambles

17. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    I am sure he really cares deep down leaving the dogs with his multimillion dollars in the bank... without a Premiership medallion.

There is a long list of great AFL players who have played 300+ games without a premiership. I wonder how much they would be prepared to give back in terms of dollars to be a premiership player ?
    You do know we low balled Ward with our initial offer which opened the door for his manager to explore the marke? He was keen to stay but by the time we submitted a revised offer it was a bit late.
    All water under the bridge now.

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You do know we low balled Ward with our initial offer which opened the door for his manager to explore the marke? He was keen to stay but by the time we submitted a revised offer it was a bit late.
    All water under the bridge now.
    That and it's never quite so simple as stay=premiership. He probably made the best decision for himself at the time given what he knew.

Post Thanks / Like

That and it's never quite so simple as stay=premiership. He probably made the best decision for himself at the time given what he knew.
    Before our revised offer he had two offers, one a significant low ball from us and two a well overs offer form GWS. Most should be able to appreciate that a judgement error on our behalf opened the door for his departure.