Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  69
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R11 2023

The Blues gave eight years and nearly $1m per year to a player who can't kick and who was dropping chest marks last night. Even Curnow who is normally a reliable kick was bereft of confidence last night. As we know all too well, it spreads like a disease.

They are shot. They have wins against North and Eagles (basically the bye). They beat GWS off the back of that lucky dissent free kick. They beat Geelong before they started going OK. They are so far from the footy they played last year to go 8-2. It is a distant memory. Voss looks like he has no answers.

They are completely shot. It is tragic, isn't it.

2. Likes macca, Testekill, jeemak, Mofra, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Can we recruit Silvagni please, before his dad persuades him to play for the saints? He would be a major upgrade to Hannan , or even Sweet.
    A 2% upgrade, Jack isn?t very good.
    I?d rather Jo Silvagni than Jack.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Voss is however a study on how to make a list of players underperform.
    I think Voss is a good coach who is simply too detail oriented. He needs to set aside some of the strategy piece and re-focus on the fundamentals of footy and teams. I've said this before but my experience with him was just all about making things as complex as possible - which leads to players being 'nervous' that they are standing in the wrong place...a head coach cant be that way - they need to 'know' the detail but it cant be the focus.

e.g. Docherty is a gun backman or an average midfielder - so he plays him as a mid. Please take note anyone who wants Richards to go into the middle.
    To be fair, Carlton have a rubbish midfield (I have been consistent in saying this) and are unbalanced...Who else do they even have?

Cripps is a ball-winner who can be exposed defensively. Walsh is a runner. Cerra is whatever Cerra is but good isn't the answer - he's a bit player who needs to be on the half-back line with STINTS inside the game...who else?

I love your comments about Cottrell. Heart and Soul.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    John Elliott and Bruce Matheson - the gifts that keep on giving.
    Add The Pratt family, Menzies Fraser etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Nice call on Cotrell @mofra

We should be asking him if he wants to play finals , or be like cripps?

I look for 2 thngs when recruit:
    - attitude: i hate to be beaten
    - aptitude: i am going to run, defend my guts off to win
    Cotrell sounds like he has all that

I feel sorry for cripps, his a good player but he cant kick goals. LAST Night he was on the 50m arc free run to goal and missed . Boak, nailed on in the pocket at 45m against us. these are the types of goals inpsire your team to come back

We should seriosuly be asking this question : ' do you want to play finals?' To Cotrell, Silvagni and anyone who is decent on their list.
    Cripps just plays like he knows he won't see team success. The guy has given everything to Carlton but a lesser player would have been broken by now. Parallels to Skilton made in the media this week are fair.

Cottrell is limited but you can wear skill errors if it's associated with that level of desperation and ticker.

Never in our 2015, 2016 years did you ever hear anyone say "gee I hope Clay Smith is the one kicking for us" but his effort was unconditional. He somehow went at 8 goals 1 in the finals series IIRC.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Voss is however a study on how to make a list of players underperform.

e.g. Docherty is a gun backman or an average midfielder - so he plays him as a mid. Please take note anyone who wants Richards to go into the middle.
    Kennedy is a decent mid, so they play him as a slow backman.

They have 15 names considered to be 'good' players and right now the one player I'd take from their list isn't ever included among their 'guns' - Matt Cottrell. The guy covers so much ground and applies defensive pressure every contest like his life depends on it.
    I'm glad they keep virtually fellating their so called stars abnd ignoring the type of players that actually allow a gameplan to function.

If Arty Jones, Cody & Scotty weren't playing so well I'd be all over Owies too.
    Fully agree regarding Cottrell. I don't watch the blues much but he typically plays pretty well.
    The Blues are struggling to hit their straps and have to be bitterly disappointed with the results so far. They have 2 Coleman medalists and should be kicking match winning scores most weeks. They have at least 5 players earning big money who aren't earning their keep and until they address that they could continue to struggle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    To be fair, Carlton have a rubbish midfield (I have been consistent in saying this) and are unbalanced...Who else do they even have?

Cripps is a ball-winner who can be exposed defensively. Walsh is a runner. Cerra is whatever Cerra is but good isn't the answer - he's a bit player who needs to be on the half-back line with STINTS inside the game...who else?

I love your comments about Cottrell. Heart and Soul.
    I agree their mids aren't that good. Baz gave a masterclass in how to play Cripps last week.
    Kennedy needs to play mid/forward. Setterfield is playing well for Essendon after being tasked the same way as Kennedy last year.
    Dow is killing it in the VFL, and as much as I have doubts about his AFL chops you simply have to reward performance for selection integrity's sake. That's two.

Another Carlton midfield point from interesting mention from a Carlton supporter last night, pretty much every other team has a small forward or two that can take rotations higher up the ground to get them involved in the game when things aren't working. Except Carlton (if you consider Hewitt a FT mid now). Owies, Honey, Motlop, have all played this year and they just can't.

Weightman took rotations during the pre-season and last week. We know Scott can play wing. Arty was a wing as a junior and at VFL level last year. Most other teams build that flexibility too (watch Adelaide's mid rotations next year, they're rising).

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlton are paying a price for some weird drafting and list positioning in the last few years.
    After a sensational draft in 2015 that netted them Weitering, McKay and Curnow along with Jack Silvagni under FS they've tended to somehow botch drafting and trading since.
    While they may not have paid overs for some of their trades and acquisitions their GWS obsession hasn't paid a lot dividends, Jack Martin coming across has been a massive disappointment.
    Top 10 picks in Dow and O'Brien in 2017 hasn't given them much of a return and even Tom De Konning taken at pick 30 that year hasn't settled into a role.

Perhaps the revolving door on coaches and a poor development and fitness program has played a major role in their non competitive position but their supporters and the wider footy community expected a lot more from them this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    Add The Pratt family, Menzies Fraser etc
    This piece of merde did not spend one day in jail

https://www.smartcompany.com.au/opin...hwab-politics/
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Top 10 picks in Dow and O'Brien in 2017 hasn't given them much of a return and even Tom De Konning taken at pick 30 that year hasn't settled into a role.
    Thankfully the traffic congestion on the Monash in 2017 meant Ed Richards was late to his meeting with them and they passed on him.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hawks should be 6 goals in front. Shocking kicking for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that we are all enjoying the problems at Carlton, but how good was Blakey?

And how do we counter him when we play the Swans?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

20. Likes Testekill, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I know that we are all enjoying the problems at Carlton, but how good was Blakey?

And how do we counter him when we play the Swans?
    He was absolutely sensational. One of the rare things worth watching in last night's game. He is good in the air and he can run. You just have to love how he takes the game on.

For a man who is 195cm (two cm taller than Chris Grant), he is lightening quick and has a tank too.

22. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    He was absolutely sensational. One of the rare things worth watching in last night's game. He is good in the air and he can run. You just have to love how he takes the game on.

For a man who is 195cm (two cm taller than Chris Grant), he is lightening quick and has a tank too.
    Much less wind resistance
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn are a good team to watch. When it clicks it definitely clicks.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

25. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post