Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ayce Cordy in the pocket if Western Bulldogs play cards right

Ayce Cordy in the pocket if Western Bulldogs play cards right
    Mark Stevens | April 01, 2008 12:00am

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/spo...-19742,00.html

HE has a name befitting a lead guitarist and Ayce Cordy is already receiving the rock star treatment to match from AFL recruiters. Cordy is considered a potential top-five draft pick in October and will provide the first major test of the league's new father/son bidding process.

The 202cm forward/ruckman is the son of former Bulldogs defender Brian Cordy, who played 124 games between 1981-88.

It means the Dogs have first rights to the 17-year-old, who was yesterday described by one recruiter as more athletic than Carlton's No. 1 pick Matthew Kreuzer.

But the Dogs will have to pay a hefty price under the new bidding rules.

Rival recruiters believe it is a formality there will be first-round bids for Cordy.

Geelong Falcons regional manager Michael Turner, who has overseen Cordy's rapid rise, yesterday declared: "From what I've seen of Ayce, if he's not a top-five draft pick, I'm a bad judge."

Under previous father/son rules, Geelong had the luxury of picking up Gary Ablett, Matthew Scarlett and Tom Hawkins with third round selections.

That will not happen with Cordy, given the excitement generated by his performance for the Australian under-17 team in a curtain-raiser to the Round 1 West Coast-Brisbane clash at Subiaco this year.

"It has already been spoken about in recruiting circles, and clubs have said to me that they will bid for him," Turner said.

If another club bids on Cordy, the Dogs must use their next available selection to take him.

For example, if the Dogs finish eighth they will have pick No. 9. If a club with an earlier pick nominates Cordy, they would have to use No. 9 on him.

If Cordy somehow slipped through to pick No. 10 before being nominated, the Dogs could use their next choice (No. 25) to nab him.

Richmond list and strategy manager Craig Cameron yesterday made it clear the second scenario was highly unlikely. "I think he'll probably be an early selection," Cameron said.

Cordy is currently touring South Africa with the Australian under-17s, learning from AFL greats Michael Voss, Mark Ricciuto, Luke Darcy and Nathan Buckley.

He will this season share his time between Geelong College, where he has a scholarship, and the under-18 Falcons. A place in the Vic Country under-18 team also beckons.

"The Dogs would probably prefer he didn't do any of that. The more he plays, the more they're going to have to give up," Turner said.

The Dogs are closely monitoring Cordy, offering him support with diet and strength and conditioning. He visited the club over the pre-season.

As a state level basketballer, Cordy also has ability to inflict damage at ground level.

"He's just so mobile, he's very football intelligent, he's got a bit of s--- in him," said Turner, who can even envisage Cordy playing on the wing for the Dogs early next year.

Turner expects Cordy to reach at least 205cm.

All the Dogs can do now is sit tight and wait, hoping he sneaks through to the second round. "This will be the litmus test of the new bidding system, no doubt," Clayton said. "He's an exciting player, for sure."

Cordy's uncle Neil, now a Channel 10 reporter, played 139 games for the Dogs and 96 for Sydney. Another Cordy brother, Graeme, managed six games for the Dogs and 21 for Sydney.

The Cordy brothers were nowhere near Ayce's height - with Brian 183cm, Neil 188cm and Graeme 189cm.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ayce Cordy in the pocket if Western Bulldogs play cards right

Great...our turn comes and we have to be the first team to not benefit from a father son pick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Great...our turn comes and we have to be the first team to not benefit from a father son pick
    I reckon the new system is just right. We have first crack at him, we either pay the market rate & he's a Bulldog or we don't & he's not. No problems from my point of view with the new system. it's much fairer.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree it is much fairer. I was hoping he would play the majority of the season for his school and therefore he would not be as exposed to other recruiters. Unfortunately his good form at Subiaco has put him "out there".
    Oh well, its great to have first crack at a potential first round ruckman/fwd than having to otherwise finish at the lower end of the ladder to get the best talent.
    Good to see the dogs are monitoring his diet from now, without getting too excited he sounds very promising.

Crizza Guest

The changes to the Father-Son rule are fair, it is very exciting to think that Ayce could be at The Kennel next year.

I heard that Steve Wallis has a son running around in St.Kevins 1st as a year 9, hopefully some more talent for us in the very near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Incentive to finish at the top and not loose as much, or fail miserably...

Much fairer.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I reckon the new system is just right. We have first crack at him, we either pay the market rate & he's a Bulldog or we don't & he's not. No problems from my point of view with the new system. it's much fairer.
    Agreed - although it is disappointing we can't use the old system like Geelong has benefited from extensively and take 2 first round quality players with 1 pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick - News Flash. Mick Turner refers to Geelong Falcons kid as next superstar of the AFL. Stop the presses...stop the presses.

What a beat up.

Maybe he will go early, maybe he wont. He is tall and athletic I guess, but exactly how high he goes will depend on his performance at the carnival and how well he interviews at draft camp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crizza View Post
    The changes to the Father-Son rule are fair, it is very exciting to think that Ayce could be at The Kennel next year.

I heard that Steve Wallis has a son running around in St.Kevins 1st as a year 9, hopefully some more talent for us in the very near future.
    yr 10.
    him and libba's son r on the same team.

Post Thanks / Like

Also hardly surprising given the Father/Son rule changes that teams & recruiters will be more inclined to talk these kids up with a view to generating interest, however justified, to nudge up the eventual price paid.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Quick - News Flash. Mick Turner refers to Geelong Falcons kid as next superstar of the AFL. Stop the presses...stop the presses.

What a beat up.

Maybe he will go early, maybe he wont. He is tall and athletic I guess, but exactly how high he goes will depend on his performance at the carnival and how well he interviews at draft camp.
    The only real quote I was interested in was

Richmond list and strategy manager Craig Cameron yesterday made it clear the second scenario was highly unlikely. "I think he'll probably be an early selection," Cameron said.
    Sounds like at the moment he is probably hovering around 10.

Still a season to go though and people have gone from 10 to 1, much like people have gone from 10- undrafted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    No doubt it's fairer but i don't think we've had a father son opportunity like Geelong has. Just bad timing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crizza View Post

My wife worked with a relative of Steve Wallis who said that he was a promising player. Early days yet but maybe another.

Yes the system is fairer, it is just a shame we will be one of the first to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst unfair in comparison to Geelong, I'm still wrapped that we have first crack at the kid. If is good enough we'll take him, if not we wont!

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know much about Ayce but I do know that the new system is flawed, open to manipulation and will be overturned once one of the bigger clubs decide it's in their interests to have it overurned.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite