Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ayce Cordy in the pocket if Western Bulldogs play cards right

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I reckon the new system is just right. We have first crack at him, we either pay the market rate & he's a Bulldog or we don't & he's not. No problems from my point of view with the new system. it's much fairer.
    I agree, the club still gets priority if they choose, could also work the other way around, and if a kid isn't rated as high, and having to still grab him with a 3rd rounder, even though he may be rated a 5th round selection, you can now pick one up if clubs don't rate them nominate them.

We got a good run with the priority system before it changed, grabbing both Farren Ray & Tommy Williams with picks 4 & 6 rather than having to wait till the end of the first round, so we can't complain too much!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the new system is rubbish and it sucks that we will have to give up a high pick for him - but I am still bitter that we got pick 10 after finishing second bottom to Fitzroy in 1996, and want priority picks for losing McGuiness and Kym Koster

Ayce is big and athletic, but has really not done much at an under 18 TAC cup level

I really hope he is a great player but to talk him up as a top ten at this stage is IMO ridiculous

Post Thanks / Like

Let's say in theory we had the number 1 pick and Geelong had pick 16.......
    If they offered pick 16 for him would we have to use the number 1 pick to match their offer?
    They are both 1st round draft picks. That would be an awful scenario

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I think the new system is rubbish and it sucks that we will have to give up a high pick for him - but I am still bitter that we got pick 10 after finishing second bottom to Fitzroy in 1996, and want priority picks for losing McGuiness and Kym Koster

Ayce is big and athletic, but has really not done much at an under 18 TAC cup level

I really hope he is a great player but to talk him up as a top ten at this stage is IMO ridiculous
    I was having a talk to a couple guys on Saturday and they think Cordy has a very bright future.

By the way, I don't rate the new system at all. A 2nd round pick is fair in my opinion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    If they offered pick 16 for him would we have to use the number 1 pick to match their offer?
    DD

My understanding was that if we had pick 1 and geelong had pick 16. if geelong used pick 16, we have to use our NEXT available pick, which i guess would be 17.

One of us is wrong, im not sure who

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    No, second round in that instance.

For example, lets say we finished 8th. We would then have pick 9. If a side with picks 1-8 bids for Ayce Cordy, we would have to use pick 9. If a side with picks 10-24 bids for Ayce Cordy, we would have to use pick 25. It's the next selection you have, after a bid has been tabled that you have to use.

I think it's much fairer. It's easy to look at Cordy in isolation & say it's wrong, but if Steve Wallis' son comes up & he's say worth a 6th rounder, then that's all we use, not a 3rd rounder as was previously the case.

Clearly Geelong have been very fortunate, but if the new system was in last season, then a side with a pick before Geelong would surely have bid for Tom Hawkins, which would have seen Geelong use their first round selection on him, therefore missing the chance to select Joel Selwood.

I think some (not all, just some) who don't like the new system, do so out of ignorance.

You could argue it's been chopped & changed a number of times in the past which has somewhat bastardised it, but I do think this changes adds a degree of fairness the old system lacked.

Post Thanks / Like

For example, lets say we finished 8th. We would then have pick 9. If a side with picks 1-8 bids for Ayce Cordy, we would have to use pick 9. If a side with picks 10-24 bids for Ayce Cordy, we would have to use pick 25. It's the next selection you have, after a bid has been tabled that you have to use.

I think it's much fairer. It's easy to look at Cordy in isolation & say it's wrong, but if Steve Wallis' son comes up & he's say worth a 6th rounder, then that's all we use, not a 3rd rounder as was previously the case.

Clearly Geelong have been very fortunate, but if the new system was in last season, then a side with a pick before Geelong would surely have bid for Tom Hawkins, which would have seen Geelong use their first round selection on him, therefore missing the chance to select Joel Selwood.

I think some (not all, just some) who don't like the new system, do so out of ignorance.

You could argue it's been chopped & changed a number of times in the past which has somewhat bastardised it, but I do think this changes adds a degree of fairness the old system lacked.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Just wasn't sure

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's much fairer.

And I think it's more open to manipulation than the old system. Say for example during trade week that club A agrees to put in a dummy or ambit claim so that club B can force our hand and take Cordy with a draft choice we didnt want to use therefore leaving the player we were going to pick to fall into club B's lap. I thought about it for about thirty seconds before I came up with that sceanrio. I'm sure a list development manager with more time on his hands is going to punch holes through this stupid bloody idea.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And I think it's more open to manipulation than the old system. Say for example during trade week that club A agrees to put in a dummy or ambit claim so that club B can force our hand and take Cordy with a draft choice we didnt want to use therefore leaving the player we were going to pick to fall into club B's lap. I thought about it for about thirty seconds before I came up with that sceanrio. I'm sure a list development manager with more time on his hands is going to punch holes through this stupid bloody idea.
    But the bidding system is before trade week isn't it? Which throws that scenario out a bit. Plus if they put in that Dummy and we don't rate Cordy that highly they are then forced to take Cordy and perhaps miss out on 1 or 2 players that they wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    But the bidding system is before trade week isn't it? Which throws that scenario out a bit. Plus if they put in that Dummy and we don't rate Cordy that highly they are then forced to take Cordy and perhaps miss out on 1 or 2 players that they wanted.

Trade 'week' starts about June. Judd was always going to Carlton from halfway through last year unless another Victorian put an amazing offer on the table. Club B could trade a star player to club A in order to get their dummy bid. Club B is then taking the gamble that we wont pick Cordy and club A's worse outcome is they get the star player and Cordy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah thats true about starting in June.

Lets put this in more real terms. West Coast trades Judd to Carlton for pick 3. Carlton than says they will take Cordy with pick 1. We say 'nope too high an asking price'.

Carlton get Cordy but miss out on the best young player in the draft.

Is that what you mean by it? All the club B and Club A stuff confuses me today. Not a monday person!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yeah thats true about starting in June.

Lets put this in more real terms. West Coast trades Judd to Carlton for pick 3. Carlton than says they will take Cordy with pick 1. We say 'nope too high an asking price'.

Carlton get Cordy but miss out on the best young player in the draft.

Is that what you mean by it? All the club B and Club A stuff confuses me today. Not a monday person!

No what I have in mind is more of a Veale deal but a little bit different. West Coast wouldnt get Carlton's pick but Carlton's promise they will nominate Cordy, forcing us to use an earlier pick than we were planning. Then the player we were planning on taking earlier is sacrificed to pick Cordy.

Post Thanks / Like

No what I have in mind is more of a Veale deal but a little bit different. West Coast wouldnt get Carlton's pick but Carlton's promise they will nominate Cordy, forcing us to use an earlier pick than we were planning. Then the player we were planning on taking earlier is sacrificed to pick Cordy.
    I think it's too risky for a team to do it.

If they nominate Cordy earlier than they think he's worth they still run the risk of us saying "nope. He's not worth it" and they're stuck with a pick 12 player that they have to use pick 5 on.

Post Thanks / Like

No, because once a team has nomionated & been allocated a pick, they can't on-trade it.
    In this case, Carlton would have to take pick 3 off the table because they have nominated for a father/son player so cannot use it for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was having a talk to a couple guys on Saturday and they think Cordy has a very bright future.

By the way, I don't rate the new system at all. A 2nd round pick is fair in my opinion.
    I certainly hope Cordy does have a very bright future, I know he is a good athlete and coordinated, but I just hope he can enjoy his football and develop with the Falcons. He's still a pretty raw and very much developmental prospect isn't he?

A 2nd round pick would be far fairer, but I personally had no problem with a 3rd or 4th round selection.

I hate the new system