Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    Presumably this genius Hocking would look unfavourably at the greatest tackle of the decade, the Glove on Buddy
    It actually didn't happen. And it's not a skill, nor was it a feature of the game.

You'll need to go for re-education if you think it did. When you do, say hi to Winston for me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It actually didn't happen. And it's not a skill, nor was it a feature of the game.

You'll need to go for re-education if you think it did. When you do, say hi to Winston for me.
    Winston is a good bloke. I remember when we were in the underground together. Before the AFL van came and took him.

I wish I had said something...
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a silly suggestion, it's an important part of the game. We should do everything reasonable to rid head high tackles from the game but tackling should stay
    I am probably Steve Hocking's biggest critic but I actually agree 100% with his claim that the tackling stat is grossly inflated in the modern game due to congestion. We all love run-down tackles from behind but how many of these are there in a game these days? Maybe 10-15? The other 130-140 tackles are deep in congestion and simply make our game look like a rugby scrum.

I'll keep saying it till I'm blue in the face, but prior opp is the biggest problem in the game and has caused so many other negative ripple effects. Stoppages are up massively in the last 20 years and scoring is down significantly in that time. And the source of this issue starts with prior opp. Get rid of it and games will open up significantly, players will play positional corridor footy, and tackling will naturally decrease due to space being opened up.

High tackling numbers is not the issue, it is simply the end result of congestion and stoppage numbers going through the roof.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

5. Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Bulldog4life, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond complain about studs out, and AFL have changed the rule immediately from this week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Richmond complain about studs out, and AFL have changed the rule immediately from this week.
    It’s a good decision.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    It’s a good decision.
    It's the right decision but you can't change a rule in the last round of the season. It's amateur hour

Post Thanks / Like

So...... Riewoldt is penalised twice in their forward 50, Dimma cracks the s**** and the AFL change the rule 48 hours later.

Luke Dahl is kicked in the head, there isn’t even a free kick paid and the AFL take a year to amend the rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It's the right decision but you can't change a rule in the last round of the season. It's amateur hour
    Agree, continuation of amateur hour with the whole score review system also being revamped.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes bornadog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    So...... Riewoldt is penalised twice in their forward 50, Dimma cracks the s**** and the AFL change the rule 48 hours later.

Luke Dahl is kicked in the head, there isn’t even a free kick paid and the AFL take a year to amend the rule.
    It really is pathetic to say the least.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They made a mistake rushing in the rule.

They compounded the mistake by changing it again on the eve of finals.

Steve Hocking is out of his depth.

14. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    They made a mistake rushing in the rule.

They compounded the mistake by changing it again on the eve of finals.

Steve Hocking is out of his depth.
    It's really quite ludicrous, what are they thinking? Silly rule, but you can't change things 9/10th's of the way through a season. What about decisions that were paid earlier do they come into question now? It just opens a massive can of worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Riewoldt is another dickhead who sticks his foot out when going for a mark. How about bending the knee. No matter what you say kicking someone in the back is pretty painful.

When Dahlhaus was kicked in the face, Greene should have been reported and it would have stopped there instead of changing rules a year later.

This is my very point about this whole thread, the AFL don't think things through.

Post Thanks / Like

Riewoldt is another dickhead who sticks his foot out when going for a mark. How about bending the knee. No matter what you say kicking someone in the back is pretty painful.

When Dahlhaus was kicked in the face, Greene should have been reported and it would have stopped there instead of changing rules a year later.

This is my very point about this whole thread, the AFL don't think things through.
    Yeah I’m with you, knee or nothing. I see no reason you need to stick the boot in

18. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yeah I’m with you, knee or nothing. I see no reason you need to stick the boot in
    I agree with this.

Riewoldt has no business using his boot to create separation and anyone who flies with studs up is not considering a ball first approach.

The natural tendency when you jump is to raise a knee for elevation. Raising a foot limits the elevation.

Occasionally you see someone like Howe jump high and have his feet in the back, but generally he has just jumped high and the contact is incidental.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

20. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This rule should've been brought in years ago to combat tactics akin to Jarrad Waite's marking technique - studs in the back is just not on.

Jack had his foot on the lower part of his opponent back - not as bad as Waite's previous efforts, and can live with an interpretation where that's not a free....but can live with it being a free as well.

Instead of asking for calm, the league gave into Hardwick's rant - terribly reactive crap from the governing body.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

22. Likes Topdog liked this post