Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You're forgetting that Steve Hocking's a genius and virtually saved the game with it. According to media experts on Ch7.
    ALL Steve Hocking rules should be abolished
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes mjp, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't agree. Instead of the player grabbing the ball, they will tap it on, or punch, or use superior skills to elude the tackler.

The players are now playing for a stoppage because some teams (Dogs) are very good at stoppages.
    Superior skills to elude the tackler? Like that's just going to happen all of a sudden even when you incentivise more tackling which is a skill that's become highly developed already?

By eliminating prior opportunity you're incentivising effective tackling, and that's OK if you just want free kicks given all the time. But heaps of people want less free kicks than what's already being paid.

And at some point you're going to get people saying the game's ugly because people just tap the ball around in congested areas - resulting in more congestion. The game would look entirely ridiculous.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stand. Please why separate knob.

Players mark outside 50 and can now run INSIDE 50 to have a shot.

Spare me!

Also the way the umpire yells STAND STAND....!

All it's done is push zones deeper after the second phase.

Not sure there's any data to show it's done anything to improve the game.

Fight me (nets preferred).

6. Likes Sedat, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Superior skills to elude the tackler? Like that's just going to happen all of a sudden even when you incentivise more tackling which is a skill that's become highly developed already?

By eliminating prior opportunity you're incentivising effective tackling, and that's OK if you just want free kicks given all the time. But heaps of people want less free kicks than what's already being paid.

And at some point you're going to get people saying the game's ugly because people just tap the ball around in congested areas - resulting in more congestion. The game would look entirely ridiculous.
    Most tackles are junk and have been since Paul Roos turned the game into an abomination. The only ones that matter are chase-down-from-behind tackles. Players (both the tackler and the player first to the ball) should be accountable to their own decision-making - if they make the wrong decision (ie: takes possession knowing he is about to be tackled, or tackles before the player takes possession of the ball), they punish their team by conceding a free kick. Taking possession, getting tackled and the umpire eventually calling it a draw just to allows another 10-15 players to converge at the next stoppage and is crap to watch.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Most tackles are junk and have been since Paul Roos turned the game into an abomination. The only ones that matter are chase-down-from-behind tackles. Players (both the tackler and the player first to the ball) should be accountable to their own decision-making - if they make the wrong decision (ie: takes possession knowing he is about to be tackled, or tackles before the player takes possession of the ball), they punish their team by conceding a free kick. Taking possession, getting tackled and the umpire eventually calling it a draw just to allows another 10-15 players to converge at the next stoppage and is crap to watch.
    Preach.

We are at the insane point now where players literally do 720s and dish it off and it's play on.

My other annoyance is the echo chamber around players evading or slipping a tackle by raising their arms.
    Since when is that against any rule?
    The onus is on the tackler to get the tackle right. Thing is they want it both ways : pin the arms to prevent clean disposal plus not get the slip.

Tackle loooooower.

Grinds my gears!

I don't want a high free kick paid however. It's play on.

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Preach.

We are at the insane point now where players literally do 720s and dish it off and it's play on.

My other annoyance is the echo chamber around players evading or slipping a tackle by raising their arms.
    Since when is that against any rule?
    The onus is on the tackler to get the tackle right. Thing is they want it both ways : pin the arms to prevent clean disposal plus not get the slip.

Tackle loooooower.

Grinds my gears!

I don't want a high free kick paid however. It's play on.
    To your first point the umpire just needs to make a decision as to whether it's immediately pinned or not. If it is then it's a ball up straight away. If it isn't, it's a free kick for holding the ball.

Just make the decision more quickly. People forget there used to be ball ups all the time.

As for the tackle slipping upwards, couldn't agree more. It's bamboozling how confused that's gotten.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Don't give Paul Roos so much credit. There were ball ups before he became a coach, the thing that changed was how the umpires interpreted the contest and how far they let prior opportunity drift.

If it was immediately pinned it was a ball up. If it wasn't it was a free.

Why can't we give that a shot before we go nuclear?