Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Gonna be a lot of guys getting called play on because they looked the wrong way. I still don't like the stand rule, and this is unnecessary tinkering.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it just means you don't give away a 50 for reacting to a fake handball I can live with it. The fact you need rules like this to fix the previous rule would normally be an indication that the initial rule was dumb but I'm pretty sure all the Channel 7 blokes said it made the game higher scoring so that can't be it

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The no 50 for fake handballs is a sensible change. Not sure about the protected area one, need to see it in action. Couldn't care less about the goal shot warning, players need to be switched on.

No 50m penalties for fake handballs among rule tweaks

The AFL has made tweaks to three rule interpretations ahead of the 2023 season

A 50m penalty will no longer be paid if a player fakes a handball while behind the mark, drawing their opponent off their position.

It's one of three tweaks to rule interpretations that have been made ahead of the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season, with the League aiming to simplify the game for officiating, minimising delays and reducing player exploitation of rules.

The modification expected to have the greatest impact on games is around drawing a 50m penalty with a fake handball, a move used by players last season, when they would goad their opponent into moving off the mark before play on was called.

In the video below, Brisbane captain Dayne Zorko gives away a 50m penalty after moving off the mark as St Kilda forward Jack Higgins shaped to handball. This will no longer result in a 50m penalty.

Additionally, players have to make an immediate decision regarding the 5m protected area. When a player is penalised for giving away a free kick or loses a marking contest, they must stand the mark or immediately leave the protected area.

In the video below, Collingwood star Darcy Moore is not in the contest but opts to enter the protected area. He must stand the mark. The example below would now result in a 50m penalty as he has left the area after initially deciding to enter.

The third change will see players no longer given an alert by umpires at the 15-second mark of their set shot, instead receiving just a warning at 25 seconds. Players are allowed 30 seconds to start their set-shot approach.

6. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Create a new rule so players cant milk that other new rule. AFL is run by morons.
    The curse is dead.

8. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Protected area one is sussy and will produce more stupid 50s which I believe spectators love

Post Thanks / Like

Shouldn't the player just have to stand still until he's called to move or the ball has been disposed of, irrespective of what the player with the ball does?

Why make it any harder than the ridiculous rule in the first place.

Don't move until told to do so or the ball has been disposed of. Yes it's madness, but why you'd make it even more mad is beyond me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Shouldn't the player just have to stand still until he's called to move or the ball has been disposed of, irrespective of what the player with the ball does?

Don't move until told to do so or the ball has been disposed of. Yes it's madness, but why you'd make it even more mad is beyond me.
    The stand rule is the biggest farce since the game began
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Are you this rational in real life?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The stand rule is the biggest farce since the game began
    It's on par with having to stand perfectly upright when taking possession of the ball and evading a tackle just in case you cause a tackle to slip over your shoulders.

That's the dumbest and least physically possible shit the AFL has come up with yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the time rule change is probably the worst. Can you imagine a player being forced to rush a shot at goal. What was wrong with the 15 sec warning? A 5 sec warning means by the time its given and the player reacts they have about 3 seconds to take a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think the time rule change is probably the worst. Can you imagine a player being forced to rush a shot at goal. What was wrong with the 15 sec warning? A 5 sec warning means by the time its given and the player reacts they have about 3 seconds to take a shot.
    Don't they have to start their run up by the time the clock is up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The no 50 for fake handballs is a sensible change. Not sure about the protected area one, need to see it in action. Couldn't care less about the goal shot warning, players need to be switched on.
    So - we’ve had to add a rule because ‘we’ (the devil incarnate Steven Hocking) introduced the stupidest rule in the history of the game...but the players worked out they could trick the oppo into breaking the rule? So dumb rules are A-OK but gamesmanship is out?

This frustrates me beyond belief. The new rule is too tricky and has had outcomes we were unable to predict (because we are stupid)...so the new rule doesn’t count if you’re ‘sneaky’...but if you move one micro-second before an umpire who is concentrating on watching the protected area (another completely stupid rule) calls play on...even though he DID play on...then it’s still 50?

This just gets more and more stupid.

Custodians of the game? Right.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

20. Likes bornadog, jeemak, josie, Sedat, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The stand rule is stupid but if we are going to have it I would prefer some leniency on tiny little movements from the man on the mark that don't disadvantage the team in possession in any way. A 50 metre penalty is a huge punishment for a little foot shuffle.

22. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clubs warned over late-season standing mark crackdown

THE AFL has warned clubs that it will crack down on players infringing on the standing the mark rule across the final month of the season, issuing a memo to teams on Wednesday regarding the strict enforcement of the existing rule.

The League wrote to clubs following an increase of instances where players had infringed on the mark when told to 'stand' by umpires, particularly when the defending team marked deep inside the 50m arc.

keep reading here
    I still don't understand the point of this stupid rule
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I still don't understand the point of this stupid rule
    Its just so stupid, the entire system is farcical. Sending out a memo warning they will be more strict on a rule.