Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

What do you think about the AFL and their rules committee, tinkering and changing the game? Has this effected the game over the years? IF you are happy with rule changes, should we have more?

Personally, I can't stand the AFL constantly changing the rules, experimenting in the preseason with no kicking backwards, minimum length of a kick etc. Why do we want to constantly change the greatest game in the world? I really can't see the point and it only confuses players, umpires and supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

I'm with you BAD. I'm a firm believer that the game continually evolves, and when coahces and players think of ways to change it for the better or worse, the game will adapt on its own for the better. I detest officials changing the nature of our game either because they dont like some new aspects or they are trying to challenge other sports like soccer. The game should be left alone for the most part. I hope that one day footy will go back to long kicking, contests and drafting people with more football ability than athletic ability. The game and clubs can do that without rule changes. Perhaps those in at the AFL rule change commitee feel the need to something to justify their existance?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

While rule changes are now a part of AFL each year I am with BAD and 42 that so many changes are not required.

If the devote a team to review the rules each year then changes will occur because this group at least must be seen to be doing something.

I suppose the real question is what rule changes over the last couple of years do you think the AFL got wrong?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Too many changes as far as I am concerned. Rules for rules sake.

They are making it to easy of forwards from what I can tell.
    Bulldog Pride will never die

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I suppose the real question is what rule changes over the last couple of years do you think the AFL got wrong?

I really, really like the rule that lets a defender kick the ball in after a behind without waiting for the goal umpire to wave the flags. It makes it harder for the defending team to set up a zone defence and ZDs are a major blight on the modern form of the game. I hate seeing players run to mind space and really like the fact that with the quick kick in pretty much the only option is to go man on man.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I really, really like the rule that lets a defender kick the ball in after a behind without waiting for the goal umpire to wave the flags. It makes it harder for the defending team to set up a zone defence and ZDs are a major blight on the modern form of the game. I hate seeing players run to mind space and really like the fact that with the quick kick in pretty much the only option is to go man on man.
    And it helps when we have a kickerinnerer like Lindsay Gilbee.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

Well, yes. It does!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    How is young Andrejs kicking?

Early reports were he's a gun kick, Gilbee-esq. Could be very handy when Andrejs gets to be a regular player having multiple guys that can pin-point 50 kicks.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Kickerinnerer, after I reread that I thought of Derek & Clive.....I'm still laughing now.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What do you think about the AFL and their rules committee, tinkering and changing the game? Has this effected the game over the years? IF you are happy with rule changes, should we have more?

Personally, I can't stand the AFL constantly changing the rules, experimenting in the preseason with no kicking backwards, minimum length of a kick etc. Why do we want to constantly change the greatest game in the world? I really can't see the point and it only confuses players, umpires and supporters.
    IMHO it has farce like qualities. They introduce a new rule and are gung ho about it for a few weeks and then they discover it has negative and unplanned consequences (collateral damage) or it's just there to keep the game in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

Having spawned a huge and for the most part, not very bright army of football journos they now have to keep them busy and keep them happy by allowing them to regularly mount and exercise their hobby horses.

All part of the attempt to keep football admin at the lowest common denominator. The odd worthwhile change happens but more by luck than good management.

Now if you want to really get me going try talking about the stupid and endlessly redundant language that the rules of the game and most other edicts are couched in. It's the best example yet of why failed lawyers should never be let loose on the English language.

Post Thanks / Like

At any particular point in time I'd agree with everyone here.

But over time, have they generally been good for the game?

Or does everyone prefer the game played as I've seen from a grainy old video from the sixties?

What significant rule changes have been made over the last 40 years?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Centre square was a good idea limiting the players at the centre bounce.

Post Thanks / Like

In some ways it has been good seeing some new Rules being introduced by the AFL, but as rules have been introduced you will always hear of some players not fully understanding the rule changes etc, perhaps if they want to keep introducing these rules more explanation should be give to the players and coaches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I really, really hate the rule that lets a defender kick the ball in after a behind without waiting for the goal umpire to wave the flags.

Let's say you're around the centre square somewhere. You leave your man and run 30 metres to lay a shephard so your teammate can have a shot. He misses. The opposition kick it in straight away and your bludging opponent - who hasn't bothered to chase you - is now 50 metres clear on the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC the rationale for rule changes is to speed the game up. But has it been the rule changes or innovative coaching that has really sped the game up?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.