Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

For mine an incidental boot in the back whilst taking a high mark is fine, when the leg is approaching horizontal I think a free is warranted. There is simply no need to stick your leg straight out like that. I have a scar on my back from backing back into an opponent who decided to stick their leg straight out to stop me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    For mine an incidental boot in the back whilst taking a high mark is fine, when the leg is approaching horizontal I think a free is warranted. There is simply no need to stick your leg straight out like that. I have a scar on my back from backing back into an opponent who decided to stick their leg straight out to stop me.
    Agree. It's not dissimilar to in the ruck where you can use an arm on an opponent, but you can't 'straight-arm' them out of the contest.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    This rule should've been brought in years ago to combat tactics akin to Jarrad Waite's marking technique - studs in the back is just not on.

Jack had his foot on the lower part of his opponent back - not as bad as Waite's previous efforts, and can live with an interpretation where that's not a free....but can live with it being a free as well.

Instead of asking for calm, the league gave into Hardwick's rant - terribly reactive crap from the governing body.
    It's a shambles.

What is stopping players now from simply planting one foot and kicking the other out?

I also question how is the Toby Greene scenario going to remain a free kick? The AFL continually introduces grey areas to the rules and then wonders why the game is A) impossible to adjudicate and B) impossible for outsiders to understand.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Boots in the back are pretty cheap and a way to make up ground when you’re late to a contest. Don’t really see why they should be treated differently to a push in the back, it’s just as unrefined and lacking in skill.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Well they know they made a mistake with the runner, another rule blunder by the AFL:

THE NEW AFL RULE CHANGE TO SET BE TRIALED DURING PRE-SEASON

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

"WARNING"
    I know Woofers are probably sick of me carrying on about rule changes, but if you are not interested, it is ok don't read on.

"READ ON IF YOU HATE RULE CHANGES"

There is some talk about the AFL trying to speed up the game and go back to more on the bench and make some more changes to other rules. I tell you now it will not work the way they want it to work. You can't change the game to what you want it to look like through rules, because in the end you have a product that no longer resembles football.

We have lost many things in the game, like bouncing the ball around the ground, the goal square and the kick out, third man up, use of runners (all unique to our game) and introduced some rules for no apparent reason. I am yet to hear one rule change that has enhanced the game in the last 30 years.

I just hope the AFL doesn't decide to use COVID-19 as an excuse to push things through. Already we are down to 16 minute quarters which makes no sense to me.

Be prepared, they are going to change the game again.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes josie, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree BAD.

They need to stop trying to influence the style of play, with a view of micro managing the product. It's madness.

I don't have a problem with changes to things like time on, interchange v substitutes, list sizes and to an extent even the league structure. That's theirs to piss fart around with and shape the league as a product. So long as they are considered and mature in their decision making and don't keep going back and forth. It should have a foundation in being a fair and equitable competition.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

WHY POTENTIAL RULE CHANGES "MAKE NO SENSE"

AFL rule changes are back on the agenda.

On Wednesday the Herald Sun revealed the AFL is welcoming ideas — including reducing 18-man teams to 16.

It makes absolutely no sense.

Perhaps Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson’s influence and power over the AFL has become too much.
    On the eve of the season, Clarkson joined Garry and Tim on SEN Breakfast and made these surprising comments.

"We probably have to consider pulling some levers in the game. One of the charters of the game was we wanted to retain 18 v 18," the Hawks coach said.

"If defences have become so sophisticated at being able to use 18 men to defend, I wonder if they could defend as well with 16? Becuase one of the things that we wnated to retain in our game was high scoring.

"In terms of the charter of the game, we don't want to be like soccer, we want to be able to score."

In that same week back in March, former Fremantle and St Kilda coach and one of the smartest minds in the game, Ross Lyon, echoed Clarkson’s comments.

Speaking to The Age before round one, Lyon admitted he would "go to 16 players because everything works on a string. If you take out two moving pieces, it's going to be harder for some of those defensive mechanisms to stay intact. They'd break down a hell of a lot quicker."

"The easiest way would be to take the wingers off, so you know, just play with 16," added Lyon, who has moved back to Melbourne from Perth.

I was staggered at the time by both Lyon and in particular Clarkson’s comments. I’m even more surprised the AFL would entertain messing with the game and its fabric so drastically.

What a ridiculous overreaction that move would be.

The thought of AFL becoming a 16-a-side game with no wingmen doesn’t make sense and there are a host of subtle and minor tweaks that we should look at before making this giant leap.

Slashing the length of quarters to 16 and a half minutes plus time-on is extreme enough and also makes no sense considering the compromised season fixture will look largely normal with standard break between games for each team.

I’m yet to understand why this is a good change as we look to return to a largely normal looking season, minus the crowds.

The game was in great shape, players are stronger, faster, more explosive, better all-round athletes and fiercer tacklers than in any previous era.

The AFL and world sport in general have been dealt its most challenging blow, but that doesn’t mean we need scrap all that was good before this disease hit.

And we certainly don’t need the game’s best coach telling us otherwise. Has Clarkson’s influence at AFL House become unhealthy?

I have a two-step solution that would increase scoring, limit congestion and increase one-on-one contests.

Slash interchange rotations. I’d like to see a limit of 40. 10 per quarter only. It’s obvious, fatigue the players so they are physically incapable of applying the frantic pressure and defensive systems we see in the current game. Skills will improve due to the lack of pressure; congestion will ease and scoring will increase.

Implement last possession out of bounds free-kick. It’s been a raging success at SANFL level and something the AFL has been briefed by the SANFL on and is already considering.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone who doesn't want to change the rules writes an article suggesting rule changes.

Amazing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly not against rule changes or amendments and believe changes like the automatic play on after a point is scored, limiting 4 players in the middle after a goal, separating the ruckman after a goal, limiting the IC changes plus a few others have been positives for the game but Cornes touches on the same concerns I have.

The never waste a crisis approach the AFL is taking to shorten quarters, considering a 16 v 16 game and extending the finals series are just bullshit opportunistic moves to appease the TV companies.

They'll go too far one day and lose a lot of supporters
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole deliberate OOB is just BS and now this.

AFL greats Ross Lyon and Matthew Lloyd have slammed a potential change for spoiling the ball in season 2021 and beyond. According to veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson, the AFL commission have discussed a change in the rules which would see defenders spoiling a ball out of bounds being a free kick to the opposition for a deliberate out of bounds.

It is a move designed to speed up the game with Wilson believing a number of top level commission members are in favour.
    AFL just can't help themselves

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Huh? If anything that should be the only way a throw in occurs. I get the thinking behind last touch from a kick or handball resulting in a kick to the opposition but a spoil should always be throw in. How hard do they want to make it for defenders?

Also this wouldn’t speed up the game. Defenders spoiling would occur in forward 50 so all that’s going to happen is a shot on goal. No one wants to see more goals from free kicks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Huh? If anything that should be the only way a throw in occurs. I get the thinking behind last touch from a kick or handball resulting in a kick to the opposition but a spoil should always be throw in. How hard do they want to make it for defenders?

Also this wouldn’t speed up the game. Defenders spoiling would occur in forward 50 so all that’s going to happen is a shot on goal. No one wants to see more goals from free kicks.
    Well the TV networks do. And it's become increasingly clear that they're the only stakeholders who matter these days.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Well the TV networks do. And it's become increasingly clear that they're the only stakeholders who matter these days.
    Yes.
    They want to keep the game moving with more breaks that are long enough to run ads.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I would have thought that with substantially less staff the team that reviews 'the rules of the game' might have been better used elsewhere for the next couple of years.

This is not a good change in fact it's a really bad suggestion
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"