Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

First review - Wingers

We have brought in a number of players who have some claims for a position on the wing in our starting line-up.

Williams is probably a lock, Poulter has many admirers, Baker should be better as he enters his 2nd season with us, Harmes and Bramble must be in the mix, the ever reliable Scott has some merit there and now we have Gallagher training with the mids who seems to be a logical candidate. We also have the exciting draftees in Sanders and Frejiah who could slip in for some games and perhaps Baz Smith with his running power is given some time there as well.

Who are your preferred candidates 1, 2 and 3? Feel free to rate the, in order as well or call out who is a definite no.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Uninformed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Player vs Player positional challenge - The Wingers

Missed my number 2. Bedendo

He had good form there in the VFL last year for a patch and has smashed the running before picking up an injury this pre season. I think there's a pretty decent chance he gets a shot there if he can keep his body right. Thats the big question though since he wasn't able to do that at all this year

4. Likes GVGjr, doggiesin08 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Williams
    2. Poulter
    3. Scott
    4. Baker
    5. Freijah (he'll climb next year after 12 months in the system)

Daylight

6. Any of our centre square mids who just don't hold their width

I've purposely left Gallagher & Bedendo out as I have no idea where Gallagher plays (I like him) nor have faith that Bedendo's body will hold up.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is one of our positions of need. If Poulter can improve a bit on last year he would probably be first go. But, whilst they are capable in the position, I can't see either Williams or Poulter becoming a dominant influence. I hold hopes that Freijah and Bedendo will become our Dick Clay and Francis Bourke as two taller super athletic dominant wingers.

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Missed my number 2. Bedendo

He had good form there in the VFL last year for a patch and has smashed the running before picking up an injury this pre season. I think there's a pretty decent chance he gets a shot there if he can keep his body right. Thats the big question though since he wasn't able to do that at all this year
    It's a good pick-up and I do keep missing him as a winger, just seems to be a more natural marking forward.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    1. Williams
    2. Poulter
    3. Scott
    4. Baker
    5. Freijah (he'll climb next year after 12 months in the system)

Daylight

6. Any of our centre square mids who just don't hold their width

I've purposely left Gallagher & Bedendo out as I have no idea where Gallagher plays (I like him) nor have faith that Bedendo's body will hold up.
    Agree with this
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to like Treloar in the role. Not sure why we gave up on that idea

Post Thanks / Like

For me, Williams and Poulter are my starting players on the wing. Both long kicks and an ability to influence in the air.

Baker and Scott reasonable depth options there.

Harmes I don’t think we’ll want on a wing. Bramble I don’t know nearly enough about and haven’t really seen much of him in action so a wait and see.

I’d like Gallagher and Freijah to become options over time.

Daniel is another player who could potentially spend some time on the wing, and I don’t mind Bailey Smith as another option.

Post Thanks / Like

Harvey Gallagher is my bolter for 2024. I think he could make a great winger. Although I suspect he could be even better in Duryea’s role.

14. Likes Scorlibo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sticking with Bailey Smith to make a mark on the wing. To me it's the only spot where I think he can genuinely claim over others if he applies himself.

Outside of that, I'm aligned with Mofra's listing.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

The way Im seeing it is:

1.Smith
    2. Harmes
    3. Scott
    4. Poulter
    5. Williams
    6. Bramble
    7. Baker
    8. Freijah
    9. O'Driscoll
    10. Bedendo

It may not be Smith or Harmes ultra preferred spot, but we need a spot to have them in the team, and Harmes will know he hasnt been brought in just to play centre square, maybe hes running with, or running with half backs, back pockets etc but Wing is an option

Scott is somewhat of a utility but a clever footballer, I wasnt completely sold on Poulter, and was less sold on Baker as a viable long term winger - I suppose he wasnt that far off, but just not sure he uses it well enough - so hoping Bramble could jump ahead

Williams is a very talented footballer who I'm hoping can find the next level of his career - perhaps it could be on the wing. His aerial ability and ability to hit the scoreboard could be assets.

I havent seen anything to suggest Bedendo could cover the ground of kick it well enough to play wing.

Freijah and ODriscoll the development wingers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I havent seen anything to suggest Bedendo could cover the ground of kick it well enough to play wing.
    Bedendo was quickest in the 2km time trial I believe so I think he will be ok with his running capacity. Has many other question marks though, hopefully he can stay on the park and show enough early in the VFL to earn a chance at senior level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    I used to like Treloar in the role. Not sure why we gave up on that idea
    This, I though he played some of his best footy playing this roll early in his first year with us.
    I'd also like to see Macrae tried here, he can run all day and knows how to find the footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    It is one of our positions of need. If Poulter can improve a bit on last year he would probably be first go. But, whilst they are capable in the position, I can't see either Williams or Poulter becoming a dominant influence. I hold hopes that Freijah and Bedendo will become our Dick Clay and Francis Bourke as two taller super athletic dominant wingers.
    Wow you are going back over 50 years ago. I like it. Two great players who both could play key position too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PR0408 View Post
    Harvey Gallagher is my bolter for 2024. I think he could make a great winger. Although I suspect he could be even better in Duryea’s role.
    He looks such a versatile player. Where would you play him?
    More of an In Bruges guy?