Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Another reason why the rules should never be changed. The consequences of rule changes are never thought through, and the interpretation is nothing short of comical.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The bald facts are Curley had missed one game in the previous four years and had played 115 games in six years. The idiot umpire runs into him and all off a sudden he can't play anymore?

I have read, and I don't know how much I believe this, that this started off the field. That the copper/umpire and the indigineous Todd Curley had a run in off the field, the copper/umpire came off second best and decided to continue things on the field and take his revenge. I offer that as something I read on the Internet a while ago. It does make sense as to why the umpire deliberately ran into Curley.
    I hated what happened to Curley, as he was such a good solid player. Reliable, fearless, and would just do those 1% with clean disposal. Players like him was one of the reasons we were so competitive in the 96-99 era.

Post Thanks / Like

One rule that won't be changing:

Interchange cap cuts unlikely in 2019

THE AFL has all but ruled out reducing the interchange cap next season, but will continue to closely analyse data related to rotations.

It comes as League football boss Steve Hocking and his game analysis team prepare to make their final recommendations to the AFL Commission on rule changes for 2019.

A briefing of radio broadcasters – including Tim Lane, Garry Lyon, David Parkin and Kevin Bartlett – was told on Tuesday any changes for the 2019 season would be confirmed by October at the latest.

The gathering was assured there would be no surprises through the JLT Community Series or late decisions on rules for next year.

Those at the briefing were left with the strong impression starting positions – the much talked-about 6-6-6 formation – and double-length goal squares would likely be the only major changes made for next season.

However, any changes will only come into force if ratified by the AFL Commission.

The code's governing body has set a high bar for changes in the past, including most recently deciding against scrapping the bounce.

Tuesday's presentation included comprehensive analysis from Steve Hocking's recently formed game analysis team.

The interchange cap, which is expected to remain at 90 rotations next season, could be further reduced if supported by additional evidence in coming years.

The AFL has been briefing key stakeholders as part of a campaign to bring the broader community along with its plans to modernise the look of the game.

Television producers and past players are among other groups to have received briefings.

It follows significant fan feedback about congestion and defensive tactics disrupting the iconic free flowing style of Australian football.

It remains to be seen how any changes made at AFL level would flow down to grass roots competitions.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

While I'd like to see it reduced it's a sensible position to leave it as it is to get the results of a larger sample size
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I’ll cop the goal square changing length as mentioned above. Starting positions don’t bother me as much (could be positive) but don’t change the existing aesthetic. They’ve got the whole ground in front of them already.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Not sure I’ll cop the goal square changing length as mentioned above. Starting positions don’t bother me as much (could be positive) but don’t change the existing aesthetic. They’ve got the whole ground in front of them already.
    Agreed, it’s just going to end up shifting a problem from one part of the ground to the next farthest, and once coaches are used to defending kicks from the extended square we’ll see kick outs actually going backwards to free space in the pockets.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so disaffected with the conversation I haven't bothered to dig any deeper but is the sole justification for elongated goal squares to enable kickouts to penetrate further upfield?

Gee. How visionary.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'm so disaffected with the conversation I haven't bothered to dig any deeper but is the sole justification for elongated goal squares to enable kickouts to penetrate further upfield?

Gee. How visionary.
    Yes, with the idea being there's more space to defend and a higher chance of the ball breaking through the zone that's been set up.

The problem is outcomes post spot trialing over a short period of time when coaches haven't had adequate time to adjust to the change won't give a true indication of how the change will impact the game long term.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yes, with the idea being there's more space to defend and a higher chance of the ball breaking through the zone that's been set up.

The problem is outcomes post spot trialing over a short period of time when coaches haven't had adequate time to adjust to the change won't give a true indication of how the change will impact the game long term.
    Hahaaa.

Stuff the half-measures, why not scrap piddling kick-outs altogether and replace them with a giant footy cannon behind the goals that indiscriminately pumps rain-makers back into play after every behind.

Or a huge slingshot suspended between the goal posts!

Do it Gill.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

11. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaaa.

Stuff the half-measures, why not scrap piddling kick-outs altogether and replace them with a giant footy cannon behind the goals that indiscriminately pumps rain-makers back into play after every behind.

Do it Gill.
    When are we getting trampolines and 15 point 'Jackie Chan in mid-air' goals?

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaaa.

Do it Gill.
    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    When are we getting trampolines and 15 point 'Jackie Chan in mid-air' goals?

And a slam dunk. There must be a way we can work a slam dunk into the game. Quick, Someone form a sub-committee!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

That goal square change moved a step closer today......
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see the AFL talking about what's relevant to now, i.e. the finals.............

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest joke of all time, they have truly lost the plot these people.

Watch teams kick the ball backwards after a point and do many other things the AFL thought they were not going to do

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't they just, and here's maybe a controversial request, punish players dropping the ball in tackles so there're less stoppages.

Also maybe allow players to come up in the ruck contests who can knock the ball into space.

18. Likes boydogs liked this post