Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

The 3 players inside 50 is the worst. It's scary they're actually trialling this at VFL level. Can you imagine the game being held up whilst players run into the goal square and inside 50? It's ludicrous.

None of these changes will have any positive impact on the game. Do they consult players and coaches before they come out with this nonsense? I only continue to watch the sport because of the dogs. Without the club I wouldn't give it a bar of my attention.

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting closer to netball with every passing season.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a question but shouldn't this one be in the AFL talk thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Since 1996, name one rule change that is better for the game? (except, those protecting the head/player from injury)
    In 1997, repeated abusive language to an umpire incurred a free plus 50-metre penalty. The offence was no longer necessarily reportable.

The AFL has a list of all rule changes since 1858 here: https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/history/rule-changes
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

The game just continues to deteriorate. What more can be said that hasn't already?

In another 10 years, the game will be unwatchable.
    W00F!

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And we don't yet know what rule(s) will be adjudicated differently during the season. The HTB interpretation changed twice this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    And we don't yet know what rule(s) will be adjudicated differently during the season. The HTB interpretation changed twice this year.
    The change in how rules are adjudicated is a bigger issue than changes to the rules in my opinion. And when they are done on the fly mid-season, the frustration levels for the players (and difficulty levels for the poor umpires) is immense.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    In 1997, repeated abusive language to an umpire incurred a free plus 50-metre penalty. The offence was no longer necessarily reportable.

The AFL has a list of all rule changes since 1858 here: https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/history/rule-changes
    I don't count the early years rule changes, as the game was new, just made up, but after over 150 years, surely we have worked it out.

The changes they are making will effect the game.

The VFL ones are the last straw, the game will stop and start like gridiron. The second tier competition is supposed to help develop players, not confuse them.

What we have is a bunch of old men who played in the 80s and they are trying to bring in rules to make the game look the same. No rule change will ever, make the game into something you want it to look like.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Watch recruiters bring in athletes that can run all day with no footy intelligence.
    I remember that movie, it was crap. I've got no idea why they are remaking it.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    It shits me I'm so easily triggered by their now entirely predictable schtick but just trying to imagine the policing involved with a routine kick from a mark or free kick that occurs what, a hundred times a game?

The umpire must presumably now intently watch both the kicker and man on the mark, simultaneously, to determine if anyone flinches laterally in which case it's either play on or a fifty metre penalty.

Except a kicker's routinely given leeway to scan and half-heartedly test options before being called to play on yet the umpire alone now determines when and if the man on the mark can react to a kicker's behaviour.

What happens when the kicker feigns left or right - as so often occurs - and the man on the mark instinctively reads this, gesturing left or right in response, while still maintaining the mark, or even if just to brace in case he has to set off in pursuit to try narrowing an escape angle.

*whistle*

Even if it's adjudicated consistently and correctly a half-step flinch is going to cost goals, and results, while strangling yet more instinct out of a game that's built on it and yet increasingly starved of it.

At what point do these spivs answer charges of continually disfiguring the product in the chase for moar advertising revenue under the specious guise that more goals = a more attractive product to anyone that isn't an advertiser.

It's patently about making the game as freewheeling as possible to manufacture more scoring to manufacture more ad spots during a broadcast and more leverage over advertisers to demand more dollars. And we can all agree, that's good for footy.
    It all seems to be about making football palatable to people who don't care about football. They run the risk of losing people like us who enjoy the game in pursuit of attracting the attention of people who don't like it but may have enjoyed Dustin Martin's GF heroics. The thing about heroics though is they are memorable because they are heroic. And the reason they are heroic and memorable is they only happen from time to time.

Anyway if they want to break down congestion then bring back third man up at ruck contests. But they will never admit to making an error.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Haaaa. Of course. The additional, now demonstrated wildcard element of going "oops!" mid-season when something isn't working before telling the umps - and maybe even the clubs if they're lucky - "okay, stop paying those now".

It's thrilling, edge of the seat stuff, and I'm here for it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It all seems to be about making football palatable to people who don't care about football. They run the risk of losing people like us who enjoy the game in pursuit of attracting the attention of people who don't like it but may have enjoyed Dustin Martin's GF heroics. The thing about heroics though is they are memorable because they are heroic. And the reason they are heroic and memorable is they only happen from time to time.

Anyway if they want to break down congestion then bring back third man up at ruck contests. But they will never admit to making an error.
    You betcha. When every game is a blizzard of goals and appended Bunnings ads then we'll just have to defer to Bruce, BT & Hame to enlighten us which ones are truly memorable and the AFEL's work here is done.

I propose by 2030 the field will consist of opposing 50 metre arcs, the entire centre of the ground excised because really who GAF about the cut and thrust of open play, with games decided by something akin to kick-to-kick just with goalposts involved that visibly amp up before shooting laser beams into the heavens, Death Star style, every time someone dobs one, which is often.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ Liston Trophy champion clips AFL over rule changes

Star VFL players, including a JJ Liston Trophy-winner and a club captain, have hit out at the AFL over a key rule change for the second-tier league next year.

VFL star Tommy Gribble’s message to the AFL is clear: we’re players, not rat labs.

Werribee’s 2019 JJ Liston Trophy winner and other VFL players took to Twitter on Wednesday night to deliver a verbal shirt-front to the AFL over a major rule change to the competition next year.

The AFL announced yesterday that a minimum of three players from each team must stand inside 50m – with one pair in the goalsquare – at all kick-ins, boundary throw-ins and ball-ups.

It said play would not restart until all players were in position.

“Where a team fails to comply at a boundary throw-in or a ball-up, a free kick shall be awarded to the player of the opposing team at the point of the stoppage.

“Where the attacking teams fail to comply at a kick-in, a 50m penalty shall be awarded to the defending team.’’

The AFL said the rule would be “closely monitored prior to consideration as to whether it is implemented in the 2022 Toyota AFL Premiership Season’’.

Other rules were also announced.

VFL clubs were told of the changes shortly before they were detailed in an AFL media release.

Gribble gave the league a clip on social media, tweeting: “Hey @AFL here’s an idea – how about if you want to tweak the rules of the competition you do it to your competition and test it on that.

“Stop ruining the credibility of the VFL comp making all these test rules and list/age requirements, we are players, not lab rats.’’

Contacted this morning, Gribble said Werribee had asked him to not make further comment.

Coburg captain Peter McEvoy and senior player Jesse Corigliano chipped in too, with Corigliano calling the 50m rule “plain stupid’’.

“Good to know that aspiring draftees and AFL players trying to cement a spot in their team’s best 22 will be playing under a completely different set of rules than the @afl competition…,’’ he said.

McEvoy said the VFL had become the “crash test dummy’’.

He said each year “these nonsensical rules additions erode the originality of our game’’.

“Again zero consultation with players/coaches. It will be a disaster to adjudicate, will increase time wasting + injuries and create confusion for AFL players,’’ McEvoy said.

Former Port Melbourne senior coach David Dunbar said the VFL had been “destroyed’’ and was now “just a shambles of a competition’’.

Williamstown assistant coach Brett Henderson weighed in too.

“Hey @AFL, the @VFL is not a gimmick’’. It’s a serious competition with an edge. How about just giving sides 100 points at the start of the game and play for 10 minutes … same result and as a bonus you get shortened games and high scoring at the same time. Oh and you could ask fans.’’

Veteran Frankston timekeeper Michael Robinson said quarters could blow out to 40 minutes in the VFL.

He said the new zone rule would make the VFL more like America’s NFL.

19. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glowing reviews from players and coaches to start off with.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not realise that 3 inside 50 requirement applied for kick ins. I guess we are never gonna see a quick kick out ever again. The whole ground is gonna be waiting for Mitch Wallis to waddle back to the goalsquare before we can do anything.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right