Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    IIRC the rationale for rule changes is to speed the game up. But has it been the rule changes or innovative coaching that has really sped the game up?
    The new marking rule won't affect the speed of the game. The game evolves on its own, coaches constantly seek ways to get an edge. The reason the game has changed from the way it used to be are vastly improved tactics, conditioning and skills.

In the past rule changes only occurred when there appeared to be something of a bottleneck, not as an annual media event. So there would be attempts to overcome it. Now we interfere with the natural evolution of the game and it is often not well based.

Attempts to speed up the game through the rules do so artificially and actually change the nature of the game and limit the capacity to innovate.

The idea of a standing Rules Committee is an admission of failure, something is wrong and needs fixing, and for their part the Committee must be responsive to the need.

Soccer has far fewer rules, which by the way are very simply written, but is far more technical than AFL, and changes to it's rules are few and far between.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I really, really hate the rule that lets a defender kick the ball in after a behind without waiting for the goal umpire to wave the flags.

Let's say you're around the centre square somewhere. You leave your man and run 30 metres to lay a shephard so your teammate can have a shot. He misses. The opposition kick it in straight away and your bludging opponent - who hasn't bothered to chase you - is now 50 metres clear on the wing.

I agree, in fact that rule didn't help us at all. In 2005 we kicked the most goals from carrying the ball all the way down from the kick in. In 2006 , I don't believe we were the highest goal kickers in that dept?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I really, really hate the rule that lets a defender kick the ball in after a behind without waiting for the goal umpire to wave the flags.

Let's say you're around the centre square somewhere. You leave your man and run 30 metres to lay a shephard so your teammate can have a shot. He misses. The opposition kick it in straight away and your bludging opponent - who hasn't bothered to chase you - is now 50 metres clear on the wing.

So you dont have teammates who can cover for you? Do we have to stand around waiting for the umpire. What if the umpire waves his flag and you still havent found where your opponent has run off too?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think they get a lot of the rules right but it seems some rules are changed just for the sake of it. I like the idea of trialling the rules in the pre-season comp.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What do you think about the AFL and their rules committee, tinkering and changing the game? Has this effected the game over the years? IF you are happy with rule changes, should we have more?

Personally, I can't stand the AFL constantly changing the rules, experimenting in the preseason with no kicking backwards, minimum length of a kick etc. Why do we want to constantly change the greatest game in the world? I really can't see the point and it only confuses players, umpires and supporters.
    Nothing has changed my mind. All the talk in the media this week is how to get rid of congestion. All the stupid ideas being discussed such as Zones will just change the game for good. IF Zones are brought in I will seriously consider not watching another game.

My Solution: Turn the clock back

* unlimited interchange
    * two on the bench.
    * No prior opportunity
    * allow 3rd man up
    * allow accidental chopping of arms - players aren't robots
    * get rid of sliding in rule and protect players by not allowing feet first

Pay the free kicks for the basics of the game, ie incorrect disposal, holding the ball, holding the man behind play

PS: Rules to protect players safety is different, and I have no objection to it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

There are some very simple remedies that will significantly alleviate the horrible congestion that has existed since Paul Roos single-handedly farked up the game in the mid 00's:

1. Umps to call ball-up as soon as the ball is in dispute and not moving out. They hover around forever waiting for the ball to come out, meanwhile 15 additional players converge. Call ball-up straight away so that there are only 3-4 players in the vicinity. Also throw the ball up immediately - none of this rubbish about telling players to move away from behind the ump and spending 5 seconds getting ready to bounce the ball, and none of this crap about nominating a specific ruckman which wastes even more time.

2. Get rid of prior opp - the single most exploited rule in the comp. Good players will get rid of it legally instead of deliberately hatching it in a tackle and waiting for a secondary stoppage. People are missing the point about prior opp and rewarding the ball winner - if the ball winner is doing nothing to try and dispose of it legally and simply waiting for another stoppage, they don't deserve any protection whatsoever. Reward proactive players who win the ball and want to do something with it, and also incentivise players to chase and tackle legally to win it back.

3. Get rid of boundary throw-ins. Another issue that wastes time while the boundary umpire spends 5 seconds preparing to throw it back in - this waiting creates additional packs of players converging. By giving a free to the team who touches it last it also promotes much more corridor ball movement.

4. Increase bench to 6 players and reduce rotations to 40 a game (10 per qtr). No interchanges to take place except during stop-plays (eg: only when goal is kicked, or stretcher is out). Increasing fatigue on the players will increase separation out on the field and create more space.

5. At a centre square ball-up, no other player is allowed in the square until the ball has exited the square. It's 4 v 4 until the ball is out of the square - this will promote positional play so that both teams have ample cover both winning the clearance or losing the clearance. Also stops that awful congestion after a secondary stoppage in the middle.

I don't need $1 million a year to fix the game. And there is no need for a 'competition committee' to be created just to give egomaniacs like Dangerfield yet another media vehicle to promote their personal brand.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Reduce interchange to 20. No interchange unless a stop in play (goal or stretcher) 2 on the bench.

Coaches exploiting interchange has been very damaging to the look and quality of games in the past 15 years.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Reduce interchange to 20. No interchange unless a stop in play (goal or stretcher) 2 on the bench.

Coaches exploiting interchange has been very damaging to the look and quality of games in the past 15 years.
    I went with 40 but I could easily live with 20. Interchange has been totally hijacked by the coaches as a tactic to control the pace of the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

3. Get rid of boundary throw-ins. Another issue that wastes time while the boundary umpire spends 5 seconds preparing to throw it back in - this waiting creates additional packs of players converging. By giving a free to the team who touches it last it also promotes much more corridor ball movement.
    Please god no.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    The new marking rule won't affect the speed of the game. The game evolves on its own, coaches constantly seek ways to get an edge. The reason the game has changed from the way it used to be are vastly improved tactics, conditioning and skills.

In the past rule changes only occurred when there appeared to be something of a bottleneck, not as an annual media event. So there would be attempts to overcome it. Now we interfere with the natural evolution of the game and it is often not well based.

Attempts to speed up the game through the rules do so artificially and actually change the nature of the game and limit the capacity to innovate.

The idea of a standing Rules Committee is an admission of failure, something is wrong and needs fixing, and for their part the Committee must be responsive to the need.

Soccer has far fewer rules, which by the way are very simply written, but is far more technical than AFL, and changes to it's rules are few and far between.

The problem is they are taking the wrong approach at rule changing. Instead of making 1 important rule change (remove interchange to basically positional changes only ie 20-40) they are making a lot of other changes which are making no impact at all and causing more confusion.

If a rule doesn't make it easier to make a decision and has little impact then it shouldn't be implemented.

I don't agree on soccer though, that game needs a lot of rule changes to make it watchable for me.
    The whole sport is a farce because it hasn't changed at all.
    Penalties, lack of decision reviews on game deciding decisions, acting, unsportsmanlike behaviour getting rewarded, time wasting, lack of scoring, overtime, penalty shootouts, corruption, and money means everything just to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue with purposefully fatiguing players is that coaches are inherently defencively minded, and will just park the bus. The result will be slower transitions forward - or kick to kick between opposing defencive structures. Any process to purposefully fatigue players will just result in the type of athlete drafted evolving towards those most suited to exploit the rules of the day.

The game isn't a positional one anymore, and won't be ever again until rules are changed to mandate players to be in a certain area of the ground at all times. I don't want that.

Time taken to call a bounce to actually bounce it, and to throw the ball in needs to be shortened. I actually quite like Sedat's call to stop players entering the square at a stoppage until the square is cleared.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Please god no.
    Happy to have a counter view but can I ask why?

Before we change fundamentals of the game (such as with zones), we should look at ways to eliminate needless delays in the game that promote congestion - IMO boundary throw-ins are one such delay that could be removed to speed up the game and promote open play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Happy to have a counter view but can I ask why?

Before we change fundamentals of the game (such as with zones), we should look at ways to eliminate needless delays in the game that promote congestion - IMO boundary throw-ins are one such delay that could be removed to speed up the game and promote open play.
    There's too high a reward for something that can occur by good luck, or otherwise. Possession should only be granted to a team if they have earned it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes hujsh, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Please god no.
    Agree. If you watch the women's game you will soon see how awful this is, plus changes the game completely.
    Last edited by bornadog; 01-05-2018 at 02:03 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There's too high a reward for something that can occur by good luck, or otherwise. Possession should only be granted to a team if they have earned it.
    Fair call, although the significant tightening of deliberate OOB has almost conditioned us to the natural extension of this being no throw-ins. If boundary throw-ins are to continue, can we please ensure they are executed much quicker? Why wait for two ruckmen to get to the contest and allow additional numbers to get there and clog it up?