Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    There's merit in your argument Jee, and I agree mainly however watching Pickett on the weekend he literally pushed the tackle high.
    Just dropped his weight at the first sign of contact and used his arm to push the tacklers arm to his neck.

Not sure what the tackler could do there.
    The tackler needs to tackle under the arm pit, so there is no way he can shrug off the tackle, however, this leaves the ball carriers arms free.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The tackler needs to tackle under the arm pit, so there is no way he can shrug off the tackle, however, this leaves the ball carriers arms free.
    It's tough when they're tiny and drop making the tackle area small.

Post Thanks / Like

There's merit in your argument Jee, and I agree mainly however watching Pickett on the weekend he literally pushed the tackle high.
    Just dropped his weight at the first sign of contact and used his arm to push the tacklers arm to his neck.

Not sure what the tackler could do there.
    What happens if you use your hands to brush off the tackle and it forces the tackle low and you get tripped, is that play on? What about if you goose step or high knee it out of the tackle and the tackler grabs your leg, is that play on?

If you go for the waist neither of those this is likely to happen. People talk about prior opportunity being a major reason for congestion, but tackling technique has been a strong contributor as well. Why we'd make it easier for the tackler is beyond me, but it's the AFL I guess.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What happens if you use your hands to brush off the tackle and it forces the tackle low and you get tripped, is that play on? What about if you goose step or high knee it out of the tackle and the tackler grabs your leg, is that play on?

If you go for the waist neither of those this is likely to happen. People talk about prior opportunity being a major reason for congestion, but tackling technique has been a strong contributor as well. Why we'd make it easier for the tackler is beyond me, but it's the AFL I guess.
    It's a free for the tripping ones. It's a lot easier to flop than to jump, well it appears to be anyway.

I'm ok with the free kick being paid most of the time, but some of the Ginnivin and Pickett ones over the weekend were very hard to avoid.

Not sure it should be blanket rule, probably makes it just as hard to umpire.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a free for the tripping ones. It's a lot easier to flop than to jump, well it appears to be anyway.

I'm ok with the free kick being paid most of the time, but some of the Ginnivin and Pickett ones over the weekend were very hard to avoid.

Not sure it should be blanket rule, probably makes it just as hard to umpire.
    Not difficult if you try and tackle at the waist rather than trying to land the perfect arm pinning tackle.

Funnily, might even be easier to avoid sling tackle related concussions if players actually have arms free to brace.

But of course, why would that enter your thoughts when you can just make the game more difficult to adjudicate and piss everyone off more due to the inconsistent way in which rules are applied......

6. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not difficult if you try and tackle at the waist rather than trying to land the perfect arm pinning tackle.

Funnily, might even be easier to avoid sling tackle related concussions if players actually have arms free to brace.

But of course, why would that enter your thoughts when you can just make the game more difficult to adjudicate and piss everyone off more due to the inconsistent way in which rules are applied......
    Spot on Jeemak. I posted elsewhere that Tony Libba always went for the hips in a tackle and was very successful.

AFL have no brains and this is just another typical knee jerk reaction.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Use your hands to make the tackle slip low?

How exactly would you do that?

Goose step through the tackle and intentionally get tripped?

Please.

I'm all for examples as to how 'other' methods of milking free-kicks are not being legislated out of the game but seriously? You can't fall 'UP' in a tackle. You can only fall down.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Use your hands to make the tackle slip low?

How exactly would you do that?

Goose step through the tackle and intentionally get tripped?

Please.

I'm all for examples as to how 'other' methods of milking free-kicks are not being legislated out of the game but seriously? You can't fall 'UP' in a tackle. You can only fall down.
    Are you telling me you've never seen a player shrug a tackle, move forward and the tackle's slipped low? With all of the footy you've watched?

I'm not talking about dropping the knees, I'm talking about raising arms and forcing the tackle high. I'm talking about what happens when a player tries to break a tackle by either running or moving their arms. In those instances the onus should be on the tackler to keep it legal.

Why should the player who's been tackled be responsible for the tackle being legal? It doesn't make any sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you telling me you've never seen a player shrug a tackle, move forward and the tackle's slipped low? With all of the footy you've watched?

I'm not talking about dropping the knees, I'm talking about raising arms and forcing the tackle high. I'm talking about what happens when a player tries to break a tackle by either running or moving their arms. In those instances the onus should be on the tackler to keep it legal.

Why should the player who's been tackled be responsible for the tackle being legal? It doesn't make any sense.
    I see it once every few weeks. What I'm saying is it's pretty hard for the person being tackled to manipulate the scenario you are talking about .

The person being tackled (under the Ginnivan rule) IS responsible for the contact being illegal. They are manipulating the rules for their own purposes and it is BS. They are instigating the contact and lifting an arm + dropping knees to contribute to the tackle being high.

Just like KB 'bouncing it' just as he was about to be tackled - "I'm without the ball umpy, really I am" - they are manipulating the rules. The tackle is WITHIN THE RULES. It is between the knees and shoulders. They are CAUGHT. It is up to them to get out of it. If the initial contact is A-OK and the player being tackled raises and arm to lift the tackle high, to me that is the same as attempting a fend-off. That IS their prior opportunity. They either dispose of it correctly IMMEDIATELY or they are holding the ball.

The Pickett one last weekend was a disgrace. Dropped his head, knees and raised his arm. That's crap and it's not within the spirit of the game - we want an honest contest where the ball carrier - particularly one as talented as Pickett - evades the tackle, or dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodges his way through trouble...not drops to his knees trying to get a free kick. I don't want to watch that, I don't want him rewarded for what is bs play and I want the message sent loud and clear that if you do so you will be adjudicated as if you have HAD prior opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

I get all of it except the raising the arm bit, and citing the fend off as comparable doesn't make sense. Just because I fend off it doesn't mean it's open slather to hit me in the face!

Really I don't know how we got ourselves into such a frenzy that we feel we have to reward the tackler at all costs.

Anyway, I'll die on this hill and I think I've made my point. So enough out of me for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I get all of it except the raising the arm bit, and citing the fend off as comparable doesn't make sense. Just because I fend off it doesn't mean it's open slather to hit me in the face!

Really I don't know how we got ourselves into such a frenzy that we feel we have to reward the tackler at all costs.

Anyway, I'll die on this hill and I think I've made my point. So enough out of me for now.
    I'll give you the footage to continue the discussion with.

When I look at it the tackler definitely comes in too high which makes it easy to slip up.

But this one should be play on for me. Critical moment in the game too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll give you the footage to continue the discussion with.

When I look at it the tackler definitely comes in too high which makes it easy to slip up.

But this one should be play on for me. Critical moment in the game too.

Free kick every day. Tackle him lower and it won't happen. He has every right to try and shrug the tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Free kick every day. Tackle him lower and it won't happen. He has every right to try and shrug the tackle
    That right arm goes straight up. Tackle hits him mid arm.

The tackler is obligated to tackle between the knees and the shoulders. He does. HOLDING. THE. BALL.

Post Thanks / Like

The tackler is obligated to tackle between the knees and the shoulders. He does. HOLDING. THE. BALL.
    But he got him high

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah agree that's a really blatant one where he hooks his arm around and forces it up. It wasn't a dodge. Maybe Jonas could've gotten lower but the height was legal that he tackled with, plus the height difference makes it very difficult.