Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't agree with that. Players will always go for the ball.

Here is a game where there was no official prior:

I can remember lots of discussion about pretty much the same thing back in the 90s (and '80s and 70s) "the games not the same as it used to be" "if we just do this the game would be perfect" and on and on. I don't think we will ever get the brilliant perfect product that everybody remembers the game being when they first fell in love with it.

Like MJP says there are always going to be great games and crap games and that's how it's always been. We alter a rule coaches react and nullify it or exploit it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's all well an good but that game has changed. Just because the game can be played that way without prior opportunity doesn't mean that removing prior will see that type of play become more prevalent
    I was just answering a post stating" Players won't go for the ball"
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just answering a post stating" Players won't go for the ball"
    I know, I'm saying he may be right with the way the game has changed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    How about penalise the 3rd man in on a tackle? How often do you see a player come in and wrap both the ball carrier (generally a player on the same team) and the tackler up, in order to cause a stoppage. If it's one on one, it comes down to strength and ability to either stick the tackle or dispose of the footy correctly.
    Agree entirely. Was going to post same till I saw your post craig.

Post Thanks / Like

Reckon the umpires have read this thread. We got pinged holding the ball regardless of any prior opportunity all day yesterday - especially early.

Crap change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Reckon the umpires have read this thread. We got pinged holding the ball regardless of any prior opportunity all day yesterday - especially early.

Crap change.
    The only thing that was crap was the inconsistency not pinging GC the other way.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm having real trouble with the game at the moment with 2 aspects:

1) where a guy goes in for the ball (ie makes the play) get sat on by an opposition player or two, who lock the ball in and the guy making the play gets pinged for holding the ball. Surely the effect is that you stop going in to make the play?~#

2) the concept of prior opportunity. When it was first brought in it was clear. It made some sense. Guy gets ball. Looks up assesses options, tries beats first tackler, but not second - he gets pinged. Now its random.

Yesterday was a farce!

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post

1) where a guy goes in for the ball (ie makes the play) get sat on by an opposition player or two, who lock the ball in and the guy making the play gets pinged for holding the ball. Surely the effect is that you stop going in to make the play?~#

2) the concept of prior opportunity. When it was first brought in it was clear. It made some sense. Guy gets ball. Looks up assesses options, tries beats first tackler, but not second - he gets pinged. Now its random.

Yesterday was a farce!
    A great example of 1) was when English got pinged. He never ever touched the ball, he was tackled to the ground before he could grab the ball, ( near the boundary outer side 1st quarter), the GC player was lying on his back. The umpire assumed English had the ball but the person who dragged it in was the player on top. This was a clear in the back for starters.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a bit odd that when you're tackled and legitimately try to get rid of the ball by keeping your feet and trying to force your way out of the tackle you're more likely to get pinged. If you just flop onto the deck immediately and do the thing where you smash the ball into your chest/arm or flop around like a fish it'll be a ball up.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was a farce!
    Regarding (1) If we go back to no prior opportunity rule, as some are advocating, that's what we'd get all the time. Ball player punished regardless.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was a farce!
    The first one needs to be called ball up immediately, like it was until the late 90's. It's not prior, it is someone getting sat on as soon as he gets the ball. The problem with prior is that the umps are bound to give inordinate time for the ball to be released, which is impossible when opposition players are actually holding it in waiting to get the free.

Call immediate ball up and throw the ball up immediately in those circumstances- get the ball in motion straight away to prevent the congestion.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    The first one needs to be called ball up immediately, like it was until the late 90's. It's not prior, it is someone getting sat on as soon as he gets the ball. The problem with prior is that the umps are bound to give inordinate time for the ball to be released, which is impossible when opposition players are actually holding it in waiting to get the free.

Call immediate ball up and throw the ball up immediately in those circumstances- get the ball in motion straight away to prevent the congestion.
    I prefer this than immediately pinging players just for the sake of clearing congestion - which some commentators think is what should be done.

Funny that getting red hot on holding the ball in recent years has only increased congestion............how completely unlike the AFL to bring in a rule to influence the game one way, only for it to have the opposite effect.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

and don't ask who is nominating for the ruck, just throw it up and if they don't want 3rd man, then penalise the team that has the 3rd man at the same time. The length of time to work out who the ruckman are and nomination just ads to players coming in from all over the place to forma pack

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could a rule penalising the third man in work? The only reason the third man comes in is to prevent the player being tackled from getting rid of the ball so penalise him with a free to the tacklee.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

and don't ask who is nominating for the ruck, just throw it up and if they don't want 3rd man, then penalise the team that has the 3rd man at the same time. The length of time to work out who the ruckman are and nomination just ads to players coming in from all over the place to forma pack
    Yeah its pretty simple. Throw the ball up straight away, if more than 1 player from a team tries to contend the ruck contest, penalise that team. The question is, what do you do if both teams send a '3rd man'?