Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah its pretty simple. Throw the ball up straight away, if more than 1 player from a team tries to contend the ruck contest, penalise that team. The question is, what do you do if both teams send a '3rd man'?
    Ball it up again.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Yeah its pretty simple. Throw the ball up straight away, if more than 1 player from a team tries to contend the ruck contest, penalise that team. The question is, what do you do if both teams send a '3rd man'?

Assume the team that sent the second third man (the fourth man) in are idiots because they just cost themselves possession of the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Ball it up again.
    And then do that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

3. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    and don't ask who is nominating for the ruck, just throw it up and if they don't want 3rd man, then penalise the team that has the 3rd man at the same time. The length of time to work out who the ruckman are and nomination just ads to players coming in from all over the place to forma pack
    That's how it should be. No nominations. Let the players sort it out. No need to wait around and ask who in the immediate area is going to contest the ball. Keep the game moving and throw it up/in as soon as the umpires have established their position.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Could a rule penalising the third man in work? The only reason the third man comes in is to prevent the player being tackled from getting rid of the ball so penalise him with a free to the tacklee.
    Nope. You need to be able to lay the tackle and you don't want players unsure of if they should go for the tackle or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Nope. You need to be able to lay the tackle and you don't want players unsure of if they should go for the tackle or not.

But the first player in can tackle as per usual, it's just the another player can't jump into the contest and block the ball coming out. Maybe players might time it so they arrive to the contest at the same time but apart from that it's an easy rule to umpire. They have a third man rule in the NHL (for fights, not tackles but the principle would be the same.)

Post Thanks / Like

But the first player in can tackle as per usual, it's just the another player can't jump into the contest and block the ball coming out. Maybe players might time it so they arrive to the contest at the same time but apart from that it's an easy rule to umpire. They have a third man rule in the NHL (for fights, not tackles but the principle would be the same.)
    The first player might see his team mate and hold back. His team mate might also do the same thing. It'd be farcical and we'd all be complaining about it on here within 3 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    The first player might see his team mate and hold back. His team mate might also do the same thing. It'd be farcical and we'd all be complaining about it on here within 3 weeks.
    The first player would be tackling an opponent though. He's not going to stop doing that because hes worried that his teammate gets too close.

Post Thanks / Like

I get irritated when a player is tackled and his own teammate joins in the tackling to ensure a stoppage. There should be free kicks paid for bringing the game into disrepute.

Post Thanks / Like

The first player would be tackling an opponent though. He's not going to stop doing that because hes worried that his teammate gets too close.
    Who's first though? Am I first? He looks like he's going to tackle him. Maybe I should step back then? Oh no he saw me and also stood back. There goes Franklin down the wing again.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to stop two players from tackling a player simultaneously isn't practical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Those 3 Brownlow Votes Trengove got versus Martin were the only votes of his career.

Last year he played Brisbane twice. First time he played forward, had 17 possessions and 3 goals, 2nd time he played 2nd ruck and had 17 possessions, 13 contested, 5 clearances (all season highs).

He likes playing them. I reckon he should play.
    Wrong thread I think......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    That's how it should be. No nominations. Let the players sort it out. No need to wait around and ask who in the immediate area is going to contest the ball. Keep the game moving and throw it up/in as soon as the umpires have established their position.
    So then the Roos send Goldstein and Daw to a stoppage, and Bont blocks Daw thinking that Goldstein is rucking...but Daw is the ruckman so it's a free kick against Bont? The 3rd man up rule is garbage, but they can't not nominate a ruckman if the rule is still in place.

So just get rid of the 3rd man up rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Watched with interest both Talking Footy and On The Couch tonight highlighted the ridiculous amount of time taken to recommence play at throw-ins and ball-ups around the ground, which is causing so many congestion issues.

Hallelujah. It aint rocket science.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Watched with interest both Talking Footy and On The Couch tonight highlighted the ridiculous amount of time taken to recommence play at throw-ins and ball-ups around the ground, which is causing so many congestion issues.

I think the "nominated" ruckman is having a huge effect on this - umpires are waiting to throw the ball up not necessarily until a ruckman is nominated, but who the umpire knows the team would want to be nominating. Can lead to some long lapses when one of the big guys is out of breath 30m away from the stoppage.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

I wonder where they got that idea from:

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yeah, my idea is roll back the rules that created the situation, ie no prior, allow 3rd man up. I know that is changing, but as I said roll it back.

With 3rd man up it has created two problems:
    1. 3rd man helped clear the ball from the congestion
    2. The umpire could throw up the ball straight away, now they wait to see who is nominating for the ruck, and meanwhile the pack gathers.

Every rule has other consequences because the AFL don't think it out, all knee jerk reactions.
    Sent a few tweets to Rocket as well as Gerard on this and he read it out on SEN. Rocket talks about it on his latest Podcast.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Likes boydogs liked this post