Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    So then the Roos send Goldstein and Daw to a stoppage, and Bont blocks Daw thinking that Goldstein is rucking...but Daw is the ruckman so it's a free kick against Bont? The 3rd man up rule is garbage, but they can't not nominate a ruckman if the rule is still in place.

So just get rid of the 3rd man up rule.
    But that's it. Blocking is part of the issue. The game is designed to let everyone have an opportunity to get the ball within the framework of the rules. In that scenario, I'd be happy for the Bont to be penalised because if it was the other way around, we would be baying for blood. Let the players play.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    But that's it. Blocking is part of the issue. The game is designed to let everyone have an opportunity to get the ball within the framework of the rules. In that scenario, I'd be happy for the Bont to be penalised because if it was the other way around, we would be baying for blood. Let the players play.
    Sorry, when I say block I mean making body contact. No matter what level of footy you play, you aim to keep contact with your opponent and stop them having a clear run at the ball. That should not be penalised.

Post Thanks / Like

On the topic of rules, I don't get it how you can jumper punch a bloke, or slap someone with ' minimal force', and cop just a small fine, yet you can just brush an umpire's hand and get a week. Ridiculous rubbish idiocy. It's a footy field with adrenaline and fast reactions. Hawkins never meant any harm.

Feel free to move if not in the right thread.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    On the topic of rules, I don't get it how you can jumper punch a bloke, or slap someone with ' minimal force', and cop just a small fine, yet you can just brush an umpire's hand and get a week. Ridiculous rubbish idiocy. It's a footy field with adrenaline and fast reactions. Hawkins never meant any harm.

You can't touch an umpire full stop
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can't touch an umpire full stop
    Liam Picken broke an umpire's ACL. So what was his penalty?
    According to your logic he should have been penalised much more heavily.
    What matters is intent and there has to be some kind of common sense.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Sorry, when I say block I mean making body contact. No matter what level of footy you play, you aim to keep contact with your opponent and stop them having a clear run at the ball. That should not be penalised.
    But there's a difference to keeping a hand on your opponent so you know where he is while you're watching the ball to just standing in front of him just to block his path to the ball.

Don't agree. You can't intentionally touch an umpire. I'm all for playing the game vigorously but between opponents, leave the umpires to umpire unmolested.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Picken broke the ACL of an umpire. What matters is intent and there has to be some kind of common sense.
    Not rubbish at all, obviousley accidents can happen. Thems the rules

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    But there's a difference to keeping a hand on your opponent so you know where he is while you're watching the ball to just standing in front of him just to block his path to the ball.

Don't agree. You can't intentionally touch an umpire. I'm all for playing the game vigorously but between opponents, leave the umpires to umpire unmolested.
    Watching the vision, It was an instant reaction and he was obviously a bit disoriented.

Post Thanks / Like

Not rubbish at all, obviousley accidents can happen. Thems the rules
    On one hand you say " You can't touch an umpire full stop", in the next sentence, " obviously accidents happen". This is contradictory.
    Hawkins' incident falls in the accident category or fine at best relative to so many other incidents including slaps to the head ( low-impact ) high contact, which is also supposed to be sacrosanct, or used to be.

Post Thanks / Like

On one hand you say " You can't touch an umpire full stop", in the next sentence, " obviously accidents happen". This is contradictory.
    Hawkins' incident falls in the accident category or fine at best relative to so many other incidents including slaps to the head ( low-impact ) high contact, which is also supposed to be sacrosanct, or used to be.
    Accidents as in general play. Not when there is pushing and shoving happening and the umpire intervenes. Greg Williams got 9 weeks for pushing away an umpire. Hawkins lucky

Post Thanks / Like

Accidents as in general play. Not when there is pushing and shoving happening and the umpire intervenes. Greg Williams got 9 weeks for pushing away an umpire. Hawkins lucky

Todd Curley had his career virtually finished because a clumsy umpire (McBurnie?) backed into him. He got four weeks because he's watching the ball (as he should have) when the idiot umpire runs backwards into him. There had been no talk about touching umpires beforehand, just "you play for the Bulldogs? Good you'll do. Consider yourself an example"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd Curley had his career virtually finished because a clumsy umpire (McBurnie?) backed into him. He got four weeks because he's watching the ball (as he should have) when the idiot umpire runs backwards into him. There had been no talk about touching umpires beforehand, just "you play for the Bulldogs? Good you'll do. Consider yourself an example"
    That was one of the moments when I first noticed the AFL putting out the "good oil" in the media to soften the public prior to a shocker being announced. Perhaps being a lot younger then, it might have been happening all the time well before I noticed.

No excuses for what Hawkins did. Deserved his week. The Diesel Williams decision was absolute bullshit, a week's about right.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it happened to a Bulldogs player, you guys would be livid. Hey what am I talking about? Ah yes it's a Cats player. Ok yes, he should've gotten two!

17. Likes bornadog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd was never the same again after that, That was a total and utter blight on the AFL. So much so the week after in Adelaide we made a huge "Free Todd Curley" banner. if memory serves me right we got beat by Port? All I can remember of the game was drinking that rubbish West End and eating the most awful meat pie in the known galaxy.

Post Thanks / Like

If it happened to a Bulldogs player, you guys would be livid. Hey what am I talking about? Ah yes it's a Cats player. Ok yes, he should've gotten two!
    I'll admit it'd be hard to cop losing a player for that. At the same time it's a dumb thing to do