Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  176
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are You Sick Of The Afl Changing Rules Every Year

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    If it happened to a Bulldogs player, you guys would be livid.
    Nope.

Any kind of intentional contact to an umpire should not be tolerated, soft as it may have been. A collision in the field of play or due to a lack of awareness from both parties maybe ok unless it's careless on behalf of the player, but a player deliberately initiating contact isn't on.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've heard this thing about Curley before, but he got suspended in the middle of the year right? How did it end his career exactly?

He played all the games after he came back from suspension, and was only 28 when he got delisted.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I've heard this thing about Curley before, but he got suspended in the middle of the year right? How did it end his career exactly?

He played all the games after he came back from suspension, and was only 28 when he got delisted.
    It's said to have impacted him mentally, and he didn't seem to be the same player after the incident.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    If it happened to a Bulldogs player, you guys would be livid. Hey what am I talking about? Ah yes it's a Cats player. Ok yes, he should've gotten two!
    Nup. I would be incredibly annoyed at the player who made contact with the umpire and I reckon his teammates would be feeling pretty angry and let down that they are running out without him in the weekend due to his own stupidity. I don't think one of them will be annoyed with the umpire but I wouldn't want to be Tom Hawkins turning up at Kardinia Park this week because his coaches and teammates will be making some fairly forceful points to him.

Todd Curley never took a short step on the footy field in his life up until that day. When he came back it was as if he expected that idiot umpire to get in his way every time he took a step.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Todd Curley never took a short step on the footy field in his life up until that day. When he came back it was as if he expected that idiot umpire to get in his way every time he took a step.
    Lost all confidence and was never the same.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gil wants less prior opportunity apparently.......

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...09-p4ze7b.html

I feel awful, I agree with the Scott brothers:

"The Geelong coach, in response to Buckley's call, said eliminating prior opportunity would worsen congestion."

But, they're right. Creating an incentive to tackle will just cause more folks to crowd the ball and prioritise tackling, and discourage players from taking clear possession.

Tackling techniques are miles ahead of where they were when the prior opportunity rule was brought in. You can't remove prior opportunity without causing other issues that might prove just as if not more distasteful than the current congestion issue, whilst worsening the current congestion issue.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's said to have impacted him mentally, and he didn't seem to be the same player after the incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Still - kind of weird that he wasn't kept around to try and figure it out, no?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Still - kind of weird that he wasn't kept around to try and figure it out, no?
    Not really. A large part of Todd's ability was his fearless attack on the ball and once he started second guessing himself his attack in the ball was no longer so fearless. He didn't go about his game in the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

The Curley incident happened early in 2001 and he did play out the end of the year before he and the club jointly agreed it was best he head back to WA and local footy the next year. He did protest the original 4 week suspension and got it reduced to 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

The bald facts are Curley had missed one game in the previous four years and had played 115 games in six years. The idiot umpire runs into him and all off a sudden he can't play anymore?

I have read, and I don't know how much I believe this, that this started off the field. That the copper/umpire and the indigineous Todd Curley had a run in off the field, the copper/umpire came off second best and decided to continue things on the field and take his revenge. I offer that as something I read on the Internet a while ago. It does make sense as to why the umpire deliberately ran into Curley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Nope.

Any kind of intentional contact to an umpire should not be tolerated, soft as it may have been. A collision in the field of play or due to a lack of awareness from both parties maybe ok unless it's careless on behalf of the player, but a player deliberately initiating contact isn't on.
    In all of my years watching sport, the only ones I've seen that tolerates any sort of contact to an official is Soccer and Major League Baseball and the carry-on that is tolerated there is absurd.

In the NFL/NBA/NHL, you make contact with an official that isn't incidental, you get an early shower. No ifs, ands, buts or maybes.

He may claim he thought he was pushing away someone else, but at the end of the day, he pushed the umpire.

He's lucky to only get a week.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    In all of my years watching sport, the only ones I've seen that tolerates any sort of contact to an official is Soccer and Major League Baseball and the carry-on that is tolerated there is absurd.

In the NFL/NBA/NHL, you make contact with an official that isn't incidental, you get an early shower. No ifs, ands, buts or maybes.

He may claim he thought he was pushing away someone else, but at the end of the day, he pushed the umpire.

He's lucky to only get a week.
    Agree, if he was let off, then that would open up a can of worms.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night showed just how little the football world understand the sliding rule.

How Talia could complain about his free the way he did is beyond me.

19. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last night showed just how little the football world understand the sliding rule.

I can see how he could complain-he's an idiot.. It didn't stop him being stupid and wrong in his complaints.

21. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That rule is so wrong and was only brought in after one incident in 150 years.